FOODball – game day eats

Last Saturday night we went to play B.I.N.G.O.

Jason and I met my sister, her husband and other friends for a fun night of numbers and daubers. I didn’t win anything this time, and we all still had fun. One of our friends wasn’t able to make it, and she later explained she was sitting out in the cold the night before, at her sons high school football game, and was feeling under the weather.

My first thought was to suggest she show up this Friday with a thermos full of hot soup. (Okay, if I’m being honest, I actually suggested hot soup or hot toddy – either way).

Then I started thinking of what I would bring to a football game these days. Leave it to a food writer to make a culinary experience out of any event…

I’ve gathered my favorite recipes from my own archive and that of some of my friends… these recipes are things I would bring to a football game on television at someones house, or what I would make at our place. We are football fans here, and I love a good tailgate or television viewing spread of food.

cheesy roasted hasselback tomatoes

sushi veggie sliders

seven layer dip with noocho cheese

baked pizza dip

old school wiener wraps

individual s’mores brownies

caramelized onion and tomato focaccia

roasted jalapeno and pineapple infused tequilaΒ

reuben rolls with homemade thousand island

edamame “egg” salad

broccoli cheddar bites with honey mustard sauce

Thai deviled eggs

caramelized onion buffalo tarts

roasted red pepper and walnut dip [muhammara]

tahini almond date bites

guacamole deviled eggs

buffalo dip, three ways

potato angels

dill pickle dip

green falafel –Β MediterraneanΒ chickpea fritters

plant based steak dinner

caramelized onion bacon dip

[lightened up] twice baked potatoes

mango habanero guacamole

easy crockpot lentil chili

olive and pepper tapenade

Β

Do you like football? Favorite team?

This house is Oregon Ducks, Missouri Tigers and Green Bay Packers…

Comments

Football is a huge deal in our house full of boys – so we are always looking for good snacks and eats on Sunday afternoons. Love all these ideas (and thanks for including some of my recipes!).

Ohhhhh love seeing all these fantastic dishes again! Still need to try those sushi sliders (and pretty much everything else really). Not a football fan to be honest. I’ll go to a tailgate party just for the party though πŸ˜‰

there are games I am interested in, and when I am not, I still like to watch but it’s more about the ‘party’ then πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

see? I’ll make sure I tell her again about the hot toddy… πŸ˜‰ she’s back out there this Friday to watch her son play again. I am ready for a big football party too, my house will probably be ready in time for the Superbowl, yeeee!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hee hee – like that? it was my friend Laura’s genius… and my other friend Johnny is calling his “Pam Dauber” πŸ˜€

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful round-up!!! My only problem would be choosing just one dish to make first – everything looks so good! Thank you so much for including me!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are welcome, Faith – happy to have your deliciousness here! I know – I figure there are enough football games left in the season, we can just start going down the list, right? πŸ˜‰

• Kristina Sloggett says

that would be so fun. actually just ANY kind of party, really. I doubt if we would be watching the football?? πŸ˜‰

Thank you so much for posting this! We’ve decided to go with a completely non-traditional Thanksgiving this year (too hard to referee between the omnivores and the selectivores) so it will be a potluck of whatever turns you on. I would love to bring the sushi veggie sliders or the edamame egg salad tacos (or pita pockets)! Cheers!

• Kristina Sloggett says

so do it bring the sushi sliders- an unconventional Thanksgiving sounds fantastic! and selectivores?? I love it! πŸ˜‰

5. Elizabeth says

Green Bay Packers here, ya hey, and the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Badgers. I actually know nothing about football, but my husband does watch the Packers and we occasionally have someone over. Even if we don’t have company we still , me that is, cook something special, or make some treats. Today we had home made cornbread…which from the description I thought was supposed to be scalloped corn. But it called for a box corn bread mix which I don’t use so I mixed up the dry ingredients for cornbread and added to the recipe. Turned out delicious though…I still had a dozen ears of fresh sweet corn that had been sitting in my garage fridge at least a month. They had frozen solid out there so I figured OK just leave them and use them up as it. So husked and cut and scraped as used up in the scallped corn/corn bread. Oh , just served with some simple tomato soup. It is cold here!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I like to watch football, but even more I like the ‘party’ atmosphere when we have people over or go out to a game – the food, the fun. :) that corn bread you made sounds good – what I would give for fresh corn right now!! it is cold here too… brrr! happy holidays!

6. Peter Banks says

What brilliant recipes! Being British, I’m ashamed to say I have never seen a game of American football before. Now I’ve seen these recipes, I will strive to!

• Kristina Sloggett says

that is really okay, Peter! simply make the recipes for another event – it does not have to be football (or it could be your football!).