this vegan Warm Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip is super flavorful and is always the star of your appetizer table.
recipe originally published December 17, 2018
Vegan Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip
Just in time for holiday parties, game day, and this coming Tuesday, I am bringing you my favorite dip!
I wish I was actually bringing it to you, that is how much I know you'll love this dip. This has been a go to appetizer for years, based on a cheese and mayonnaise based classic from way back in the day.
This one is packed with veggies and cashews and my signature ingredient for bringing that cheesy tangy goodness.
Then it is topped with onions.
Did you know that those old school salad topper Bacon Bits are vegan?!
I found that out quite a while ago now, but I remember just being amazed. This was years before homemade vegan bacon methods came about.
I use those old school bacon bits in this dip. They are crunchy. They are salty bacony GOOD.
If for whatever reason you'd rather not, I get it. Use tempeh bacon bits. Even Shiitake Bacon, because that's good too. I do not recommend that rice paper bacon for this dip, though - it gets weird.
Yep. I've tried it. Trust my experience on this one.
How To Caramelize Onions
To achieve the glorious deliciousness that is a caramelized onion, you mostly need patience. That's about it. Get yourself a skillet, one large yellow onion, butter, salt, and patience.
I am often doing other prep work or cooking while caramelizing onions. Something else that doesn't require constant work - like chopping or mixing. Something that I can stop while I take a minute to stir the onions as they cook.
As an example - you can prep the ingredients for this dip while the onions caramelize!
I cannot wait for you to make this dip.
For full details, see How To Caramelize Onions.
More Dip Recipes:
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Spicy Chipotle Kabocha Dip
- Tasty High Protein Enchilada Dip
- Cool Dill Pickle Dip In A Bread Bowl
- Spinach Dip
- Rich Thai Dip
- Green Goodness Dressing & Dip
- Whipped Lentil Chipotle Dip
- Bright Lemon Pickled Beet Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Goat Cheese Dip
once you make this, you'll get it.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 1 head cauliflower, peeled, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cube vegetable boullion (gluten free)
- 12 ounces sauerkraut brine (1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup sauerkraut
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 recipe (1 cup) Caramelized Onions
- 2-3 tablespoons Vegan Bacon Bits or Shiitake Bacon, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Caramelize onions ahead of this recipe. (Prep ingredients and begin this dip recipe as you watch over the caramelization of the onions.)
- Place chopped cauliflower in large stock pot with the vegetable bouillon. Add enough water to completely cover cauliflower and then some – an inch or two over. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Continue at a simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Drain immediately and set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine sauerkraut brine, sauerkraut, cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and sea salt. Blend at highest speed until completely smooth.
- (At this point, the consistency will be thin. It thickens when you add the cauliflower, and if you like a thinner queso, you may want to reserve the cauliflower water to add in, a tablespoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.)
- Add cooled cauliflower and blend until completely smooth. Add additional water to thin as needed. (I sometimes add dry vermouth instead of water to this recipe.)
- Transfer dip to saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally as dip warms through - a few minutes. Add most of the caramelized onions (¾ cup or so) and bacon bits.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with more caramelized onion, bacon bits. Serve warm with fresh veggies, bread, crackers.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator in covered container. Best used within 3-4 days.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:⅓ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.