these tangy Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Enchiladas fill that need for warm and satisfying comfort food. make ahead jackfruit recipe for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Enchiladas
Today I am bringing you two of my favorites – tangy buffalo flavor and jackfruit!
Can I say that a third favorite is an enchilada?
This the time of year, when it is cold and dark by four in the afternoon, I make enchiladas. A lot.
Enchiladas are easy. Fairly quick. Versatile. We love them.
and last but not least? Breakfast leftovers!
Oh yes I do.
The tangy spice of buffalo sauce goes surprisingly well with a green enchilada sauce. I have made these Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Enchiladas many times, and all but one batch had green sauce.
One batch had red. That red sauce still made great breakfast leftovers the next day, for sure. We prefer the green sauce for most enchiladas, and especially these.
Also! If you are making my Easy Green Enchilada Sauce recipe, you might notice an absence of tomatillos in the ingredient list. I sometimes have a difficult time finding tomatillos.
Please, if you can find them? Add them! I make this sauce with tomatillos as often as I can.
More buffalo recipes:
More jackfruit recipes:
More enchilada recipes:
Maybe make a double batch so there’s breakfast for a couple days…?
- 1 (20 ounce) can jackfruit in brine, drained
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup buffalo style hot sauce (adjust to heat preference)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup dairy / soy free cream cheese
- 1 cup Simple Spanish Rice
- 1 recipe Easy Green Enchilada Sauce
- 4 gluten free tortillas
- cashew cream, for garnish
- green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Drain jack fruit, place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred jack fruit into smaller pieces (or chop with knife). Add buffalo sauce. Stir to combine, coating jackfruit completely. Set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft and translucent. Add shredded jackfruit, cook several minutes.
- Add buffalo jackfruit to skillet. Stir to combine with onion and garlic, and cook on medium heat for several minutes. Further shred jackfruit if needed as it warms and softens.
- Remove jackfruit from heat.
- Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce into bottom of square (8 or 9 inch) baking dish, enough to cover surface completely.
- Assemble enchiladas: spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese down middle of tortilla. Add several tablespoons Spanish rice and buffalo jackfruit mixture to tortilla. Roll and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining four tortillas.
- Top enchiladas with remaining enchilada sauce*. Using a fork or spatula, move enchiladas around so sauce coats each enchilada, in between.
- *Use plenty of sauce if you like a soft, gooey enchilada. Lightly brush on a thin layer of enchilada sauce if you want a crispier outer shell to the enchilada.
- Bake at 350 °F for 40 minutes, until enchiladas are hot throughout.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool several minutes. Garnish with cashew cream and green onion.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
Aroy-D Young Green Jackfruit in Brine, 20 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce (American Hot Sauce, Gluten Free), 5 fl oz
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:one enchilada
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 376 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 191mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 14g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list for enchiladas tonight! use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
ABOUT KRISTINA: Kristina is spabettie! She founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into the best way to spend her days – sharing just how flavorful and vibrant vegan food is! She loves dachshunds, Portland, Hawaii, drummers – well, one drummer – and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.