Vegan Gluten Free Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower – everyone’s tangy spicy favorite! this quick and easy recipe is essential to any game day, happy hour party, or random Thursday.
recipe originally published June 15, 2017
want more? see: Air Fryer Recipe Collection
Table of Contents
- Best Air Fryer Recipes
- Benefits of An Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cookbook
- Tips For The Best Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Baking Instructions for Buffalo Cauliflower
- Recipe Notes
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Recipe
Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
It is no secret that cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies, especially lately.
Also no secret that I love spicy, and everything buffalo sauced.
This quick and easy recipe could not be tastier – definitely one to wow guests at your next party, BBQ, or random Thursday.
I’d probably go ahead and plan for a double batch.
Air Fryer Recipes
After literally years of contemplating an air fryer, I finally decided to add yet another appliance to my kitchen. Our air fryer has a permanent spot on our counter, and Jason uses it just as much as I do!
We love this thing and the endless air fried goodness it brings.
Best Air Fryer Recipes
- Best Vegan Mushroom Burgers
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Easy Brussels Sprouts
- Salty Pistachio Brownies – YES, brownies!
- Crispy Tofu
- Ranchero Breakfast Crunchwrap
- Air Fryer Tacos
- Shishito Peppers
- Spicy Sweet Potato Chips
- Mini Crustless Quiche
Benefits of An Air Fryer
- Air frying is often a healthier, lower calorie alternative
- Light and crisp “fried” texture with little to no oil
- No deep frying in oil – no heavy greasy result
- Fry / reheat without turning on the oven! A summertime must
Air Fryer Cookbook
This book itself is a great resource, whether you are a novice contemplating your own first air fryer, or already have one and use it regularly. Air frying allows for healthier “fried” foods using little to no oil – so even if you prefer no oil, most of the recipes here have a no oil option.
From vegetable dumplings and jalapeño poppers to fajitas and grilled cheese sandwiches, the recipes in The Vegan Air Fryer are approachable and crispy tasty.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Chop cauliflower pieces into uniform size for even cooking
- After rinsing, allow cauliflower pieces to dry completely
- Gluten free? a GF flour yields the same result as regular flour in original recipe
- Soy free? Substituting your favorite plant milk is fine
- Oil free? Use these Non Stick Parchment Air Fryer Liners
- No air fryer? See following baking instructions.
Baking instructions for Buffalo Cauliflower
If you do not yet have an air fryer, these baking instructions give you seriously tasty Buffalo Cauliflower bites. Not going to lie, the crisp is best with the air fryer, but Baked Buffalo Cauliflower is a very close second. Watch closely near the end of the cook time, and continue to turn for even cooking coverage.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Arrange prepared cauliflower in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Roast for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and using tongs, carefully turn cauliflower pieces
- Return to oven for another 8-10 minutes
Easy to find ingredients
- plant milk
- oil spray (optional – see notes!)
- hot sauce
The recipe below is printed just as the original appears in JL’s book. See my changes here:
- gluten free: I have used both gluten free all purpose flour, and gluten free rice flour
- oil free: use parchment like these Non Stick Perforated Parchment Air Fryer Liners, and omit the butter from the hot sauce mixture
- soy free: use an alternative milk – hemp, cashew, almond, rice
- Dip buffalo Cauliflower in Celery Ranch Dressing – perfect flavor pairing!
Vegan Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower recipe reprinted with permission from The Vegan Air Fryer, copyright © 2017 by JL Fields.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour *(see note, GF flour works as well)
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle chile flakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- canola oil spray
- 2 tablespoons nondairy butter
- 1/2 cup Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or your favorite
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Rinse and drain the cauliflower pieces.
- Combine the flour, bouillon granules, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and chipotle flakes in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk until a thick batter is formed.
- Spray the air fryer basket with canola oil and preheat the air fryer to 390°F for 10 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, toss the cauliflower in the batter. Transfer the battered cauliflower to the air fryer basket. Cook for 20 minutes on 390°F. Using tongs, turn the cauliflower pieces at 10 minutes (don’t be alarmed if they stick).
- After turning the cauliflower, heat the butter, hot sauce, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, and cover.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and toss gently with tongs. Serve immediately.
- *gluten free: I have used both gluten free all purpose flour, and gluten free rice flour.
- **oil free: use parchment like these Non Stick Perforated Parchment Air Fryer Liners, and omit the butter from the hot sauce mixture.
- ***soy free: use an alternative milk - hemp, cashew, almond, rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- GoWISE USA 3.7-Quarts 8-in-1 Air Fryer + 50 Recipes for your Air Fryer Book (3.7-QT Red Air Fryer)
- Air fryer Perforated Parchment Paper Liners, Best for Air Fryers, Bamboo Baskets, 100 Per pack, Non Stick, 9 inches, Baking, Steaming all Foods, Eco Friendly, Bonus Recipe E Book
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour, 22-ounce
- Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken Base, Vegan Certified 8 oz.
- 365 Everyday Value, Cayenne Pepper, 1.76 Ounce
- 365 Everyday Value, Chili Powder Blend, 2.05 Ounce
- Morton & Bassett Paprika Smoked, 2 ounce
- Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce (American Hot Sauce, Gluten Free), 5 fl oz
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 13g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.