this quick and easy vegan Chipotle Black Bean Soup recipe has 8 ingredients, the perfect amount of spicy, plenty of protein and layers of flavor!
Chipotle Black Bean Soup
Today I offer you a recipe that is easily made from what you may already have in your pantry! The list of 8 ingredients is made up of items easily found on any given day in my kitchen, and hopefully yours too.
The first time I made this, it was out of necessity. We had several inches of snow one day a few years back, and living on a hill means you stay home. I went hunting through the pantry for the fixings of a warm and hearty lunch.
This bean soup recipe is 100% from the pantry and fridge, from ingredients I always have on hand.
Easy Vegan Soup Recipe
Not only is this vegan soup recipe versatile in what ingredients you add, I give you three ways to cook it!
If you love spicy heat, feel free to be generous with the number of chipotles. Wanting to keep it on the mild side? Omit the chipotles and just add a tablespoon or two of the adobo sauce, or just start with one or two chipotle.
Instructions for this soup recipe include several cooking methods: stovetop, pressure cooker, and slow cooker.
I wrote the recipe for a stovetop dutch oven, and if your pressure cooker / slow cooker has a sauté function, you literally follow the same instructions, up to bring to a boil. Then you simply scroll down to the cook times for either machine you opted for.
more chipotle recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or water/broth for oil free)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2-4* canned chipotle peppers in adobo, diced
- 1-3* tablespoons adobo
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and divided
- 4 cups (32 ounce carton) vegetable broth, divided
- In a dutch oven or pot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery, garlic until translucent and softened.
- Add chipotle peppers, adobo, sea salt and pepper. Stir to combine and continue cooking over medium heat.
- In a blender, combine one can of black beans and about one cup of the vegetable broth. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the blended bean mixture to the sautéed mixture, along with the remaining black beans and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring often, for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve immediately. Garnish with tomatoes, more celery, adobo sauce, cashew cream, or serve in a bread bowl!
PRESSURE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions, using sauté function, up to bring to boil.
- Close and lock lid. Set to manual / high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After a natural release, carefully remove lid.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow instructions up to bring to boil. Sauté in slow cooker, then add remaining ingredients.
- Cover with lid. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water / broth to reach desired consistency.
- Serve with suggested garnish.
adapted from Jalapeno Black Bean Soup
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
La Tourangelle, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25.4 Fl. Oz
Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium
Goya Foods Chiles Chipotle Peppers, 7 Ounce
Black Beans No Salt Added, 15 Ounce
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer Stainless Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 190 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 565mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 2g Protein: 8g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.