this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad - or Mac Salad - is a pineapple spiked version of my family's traditional potluck recipe - this vegan pasta salad is a hit at any summer meal!
recipe originally published June 15, 2016
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
This is my ultimate summertime side - my Hawaiian family recipe that my dad finally shared with me. I have taken the original and made it my own, while keeping the simplicity of the traditional mac salad that is always alongside Hawaiian barbecue plates.
I hope you love it as much as everyone else does!
When Dad was going through chemo, he'd get food cravings. One time it was grits, another time it was stroganoff. Usually it was teriyaki or something similar that reminded him of Hawaii. Something that reminded him of home.
Then there was the time when I had the craving. I asked Dad if he knew how to make a proper Hawaiian Mac Salad. You know the one - the sorta sweet, really awesome macaroni salad that usually accompanies pulled pork or other bbq? Yep, he knew.
In addition to my Hawaii Grandpa's chutney recipe, Dad shared with me what a typical mac salad consisted of. I have made this for four summers now, and after making it twice, I came up with a method that results in that perfect creamy consistency. Now when I am craving a cold pasta salad, I almost always make this one.
How To Make Mac Salad
The original recipe used sugar - I use fresh pineapple instead. I have nothing but love for the pineapple, and it brings such a great sweet tart flavor. Really works in this salad.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a very simple salad, and quick to make if you don't count the down time. The flavor melding time. A perfect bouncy noodle in a tangy sweet coat, with crunchy bites of carrot and pickle. This Hawaiian Mac Salad holds its own alongside that burger at the picnic, it has quickly become our most popular summer potluck recipe. Makes a really good hot dog topping! We love it as a snack, all by itself.
Vegan Potluck Recipes
This one's for you, Dad.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 1 pound gluten free elbow macaroni or ditalini
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup + 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup + 3 tablespoons dairy free milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- ½ cup finely minced sweet pickles
- ½ cup finely minced pickled carrot (optional)
- ½ cup finely minced pineapple
- sea salt and black pepper
- Boil pasta until very soft. Drain, return to pot, and toss with vinegar. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup mayonnaise, ⅓ cup milk, and ¼ cup pineapple juice, whisk to a sauce. Stir in pickles, carrot, pineapple, salt and pepper.
- Add cooled pasta to the mayonnaise mixture, stir to coat completely. Transfer to airtight container or cover bowl, refrigerate for several hours. During this time, the pasta will absorb much of the sauce, and will appear dry / less creamy than just after mixing.
- After pasta has been refrigerated several hours, combine 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons milk, and 2 tablespoons pineapple juice; pour over cold pasta and stir to combine.
- The final result should be a creamy, tangy sweet pasta. Enjoy!
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Barilla Gluten Free Pasta, Elbow, 12 Ounce
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly White Distilled Vinegar, 16 Fluid Ounces
Sir Kensington's Classic Fabanaise 16 oz
DOLE Pineapple Tidbits in 100% Pineapple Juice 20 oz. Can
Heinz Sweet Relish, Squeeze Bottle, 12.7 Ounce
Foster's Original Pickled Carrots, 16 oz
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.