our Lemon Piccata Potato Salad is a bright and briny take on the summertime classic. the best potluck recipe just got a new flavor! egg free, dairy free, gluten free potato salad
Piccata Potato Salad
Summer is here!
Maybe not officially, but the sun is out, and I am here and ready for it.
This Egg Free Potato Salad is so bright, it brings fresh summer vibes even during the height of football season. This tasty side dish is perfect for all of your game day parties.
The first time I made this recipe was during the winter months, actually. I was craving potatoes – that’s normal – and a classic summertime salad was calling my name. I have always loved the flavors of piccata – the bright lemon and salty, briny capers.
I have had a Lemon Piccata Potato Salad recipe on my list for a while, and after making it a few times, I am excited to share with you all.
Topped with lemon zest and capers, this is a side dish with layers of flavor. Mild enough to fit right in on the potluck table, and just unique enough to be different from its Classic Potato Salad cousins.
and if it is too mild for you? Add hot sauce like my husband does.
Best Potluck Recipe
For a dish to be included in the Best Potluck Recipe category, it needs to meet several requirements. This dish should be:
- crowd pleasing, good flavors
- easily transportable
- a recipe to feed many
- low maintenance / easy to serve
- egg and dairy free, mayo free
We have enjoyed egg free potato salad for years. Mayo free potato salad. Vegan potato salad. I mean, it shouldn’t sit out all day long under the hot sunshine, but egg free, dairy free and mayo free tells me it doesn’t have the spoil potential of the traditional mayo versions.
I have only shared this potato salad at one potluck so far, but I left the party with an empty bowl and two people wanting the recipe. It may be an early declaration, but that qualifies as Best Potluck Recipe in my book.
Vegan Potluck Recipes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
- 3/4 cup cashew cream
- 2 cloves roasted garlic (or 2 teaspoons roasted garlic powder)
- 3-4 tablespoons capers
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons Himalayan salt and fresh black pepper
- Slice potatoes into quarters / uniform size.
- Place potatoes in large stock pot with the vegetable bouillon. Add enough water to completely cover potatoes and then some - an inch or two over.
- Bring potatoes to boil, reduce to simmer. Continue at a simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until potatoes are just tender. Drain immediately and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cashew cream, roasted garlic or powder, capers, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Mash the roasted garlic into the cashew cream.
- Carefully fold in potatoes, stirring gently to combine and coat completely.
- Cover and store in refrigerator.
- Garnish with additional capers and lemon slices and serve.
- For best taste, enjoy within 3-4 days.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium
NOW Foods Raw Organic Cashews
McCormick Roasted Garlic Powder, 2.62 oz
365 Everyday Value, Organic Capers Non-Pareil, 2 Ounce
Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional 64 oz. Low-Profile Container
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Silicone Whisk Spatula Spoonula Brush Set of 6 - Red
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 223 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 398mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.