this dreamy vegan Dark Chocolate Oat Milk Ice Cream is a luxuriously fluffy, decadently rich, curiously unique plant based ice cream that everyone will love!
recipe originally published January 13, 2014
Vegan Oat Milk Ice Cream
I am celebrating my new kitchen renovation with ice cream and sprinkles! It is SO good to have a kitchen again! I am also celebrating my newfound appreciation for cooking in a full kitchen.
One thing I have been able to make this whole time, even without a full kitchen?
Milk. My trusty blender has been plugged in this whole time, even when the “kitchen” was located on the dining room table. Cashew milk, vanilla cinnamon cashew milk, almond milk, chocolate almond milk.
I kinda got into it, being unable to cook.
I would find myself slowing through the milk aisle at the store – for inspiration. You know what I found? Oat milk. So. Of course I had to make my own.
Well, I never got to the milk stage. Actually, I just skipped right past milk and made the dreamiest creamiest mousse-iest ice cream I have ever had.
So, so good.
Three Ingredient Ice Cream
Making ice cream from oat milk is my new favorite pastime. If you like a fluffy, mousse like ice cream with rich flavor? That is gluten free, dairy free, delicious?
Look no further. Grab your ice cream maker, a blender, some oats, dates, and chocolate.
Literally all you need. We enjoy this one all year long.
popular spabettie dessert recipes
It’s really good to be back. Thank you for reading.
- 1 cup gluten free oats (steel cut or old fashioned)
- water for soaking
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces dark or semi sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak oats in water overnight. Strain/drain and rinse completely - oats should be soft.
- In a high-speed blender, combine oats, dates, and 2 cups water. Gradually reach highest speed, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Finely chop chocolate, add to small saucepan. Heat chocolate on low heat, stirring continually, until completely melted. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly but not solidify.
- Turning blender on low, slowly add cooled chocolate. Once chocolate is added, blend on high once more. Allow mixture to cool before adding to ice cream maker. Proceed using ice cream machine instructions (mine took 18 minutes).
- This gets to soft ice cream consistency in a machine, then takes several hours to set in the freezer.
dairy, egg, nut, oil, soy* and gluten free, vegan
*some dark chocolates use soy as an emulsifier - check ingredient list
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 32 Ounce
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Medjool Dates, 2 Pounds
Enjoy Life Semi-sweet Chocolate Mini Chips Pck of 2 (Packaging may vary)
Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black (Certified Refurbished)
Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker (White)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 57 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 1g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.