this dreamy vegan Dark Chocolate Oat Milk Ice Cream is a luxuriously fluffy, decadently rich, curiously unique plant based ice cream that everyone will love! included: How to Make Oat Milk.
recipe originally published January 13, 2014
Vegan Oat Milk Ice Cream
I am celebrating my new kitchen renovation with ice cream and sprinkles! It is SO good to have a kitchen again! I am also celebrating my newfound appreciation for cooking in a full kitchen.
One thing I have been able to make this whole time, even without a full kitchen?
Milk. My trusty blender has been plugged in this whole time, even when the "kitchen" was located on the dining room table. Cashew milk, vanilla cinnamon cashew milk, almond milk, chocolate almond milk.
I kinda got into it, being unable to cook.
I would find myself slowing through the milk aisle at the store - for inspiration. You know what I found? Oat milk. So. Of course I had to make my own.
Well, I never got to the milk stage. Actually, I just skipped right past milk and made the dreamiest creamiest mousse-iest ice cream I have ever had.
So, so good.
How To Make Oat Milk
Oat milk is luxuriously creamy with such great flavor - one of the best plant milks, in my opinion. Making your own oat milk is incredibly easy. Soak, strain, rinse, add water and blend!
Enjoy this in your coffee, your favorite cereal, or turn it into ice cream...
Ice cream from oat milk is my new favorite treat. If you like a fluffy, mousse like ice cream with rich flavor? That is gluten free, dairy free, delicious?
Look no further. Grab your ice cream maker, a blender, some oats, dates, and chocolate.
Literally all you need. We enjoy this one all year long.
vegan dessert recipes
- Vegan Caramel Twix Cookie Bars
- Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
- Sugared Vanilla Snickerdoodle Bread
- Brownie Bottomed Cheesecake
- Caramelized Almond Rocky Road Bark
- Delectably Rich Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Pumpkin Caramel Chocolates
- Tasty Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Bars
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Espresso Sugared Figs
- Lemon Elderflower Layer Cake
It's really good to be back. Thank you for reading.
Did You Make This Oat Milk Ice Cream?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
Oat Milk Ice Cream
this four ingredient ice cream is a decadently rich, curiously unique plant based ice cream that everyone will love!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 8 - 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 ½ - 4 cups water, less water for a creamy, thick milk
- 16 ounces dark or semi sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons vodka (optional for smoother / less icy result)
- Soak oats in water 2-3 hours. Strain/drain and rinse completely - oats should be soft.
- In a high-speed blender, combine oats, dates, 2 ½ cups water, and salt. Gradually reach highest speed, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Finely chop chocolate, add to small saucepan. Heat chocolate on low heat, stirring continually, until completely melted. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly but not solidify.
- Turning blender on low, slowly add cooled chocolate and vodka if using. Once chocolate is added, blend on high once more. Allow mixture to cool before adding to ice cream maker.
- Proceed using ice cream machine instructions (mine took 18 minutes).
- This gets to soft ice cream consistency in a machine, then takes several hours to set in the freezer.
dairy, egg, nut, oil, soy* and gluten free, vegan
*some dark chocolates use soy as an emulsifier - check ingredient list
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Lynda Self says
What an innovative recipe! I like that it is made with wholesome ingredients.
wow oats cream??? Drooling here.. Very inviting and lipsmacking. Great idea
Wow! This looks so very good! Definitely on my to-make list this week!!!!
pam (Sidewalk Shoes) says
Just made this and it is hands down the best vegan ice cream. Ever. Just as a matter of personal taste preference, I added a pinch of salt, a little splash of vanillla, and two shakes of cinnamon after adding the chocolate to the base. Super creamy and delicious. Thanks for the amazing recipe!
Kristina Sloggett says
thank you SO MUCH for letting me know - I love hearing this. yes, I really should update the recipe (I am actually sharing another flavor soon) with salt, I add a pinch now too. cinnamon sounds good, I love it with chocolate and will definitely try that next time.
Yay, I'm stoked to hear that there is another recipe on the way! Looking forward to trying it 🙂
I don't have an ice cream maker just a vitamix....which whenever making frozen desserts it's all about having frozen ingredients.....could you freeze the oats after soaking them of course and then blend from there
Kristina Sloggett says
hi Skylar, that could work, I have not tried it. and maybe ice / frozen milk rather than water. the other option would be to just blend everything as is, then transfer to freezer safe container and freeze. like a no churn ice cream. please let me know how this works if you try it? cheers, Kristina