this retro Vegan Jello Salad recipe is a light and bright fluffy dessert that just might remind you of childhood. a mildly sweet dish for holidays, potlucks, anytime!
recipe originally published March 23, 2017
Vegan Jello Salad Recipe
This “salad” was a holiday staple when I was a kid – gracing every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner table. While it is sweet, and definitely a dessert, this was not our dessert. (I now mix it up with different flavors at the holidays, like our Cranberry Fluff Jello Salad.
This was served with dinner – dessert happened several hours later, right? That is still how things are – dessert happens about the time cocktails and rummy card decks make an appearance…
In our family, this Retro Jello Salad recipe goes way back to my Grandma Edie. Okay, my grandma’s jello salad was always lime. I changed the flavor this time for a couple reasons – one, I wanted a bright and sunny orange flavor, and two, I cannot find a vegan gelatin substitute in lime flavor.
Other than the jello flavor, everything else is essentially the same. Well, a vegan version of the same.
see also: Cranberry Fluff Jello Salad
Vegan Holiday Recipe
This bright springtime version would be great for Easter brunch or any spring time brunches and parties. I’d say it will go all through summer, if you’re needing a potluck style dessert.
The vegan jello substitute I use has a peach flavor too – that would be perfect to pair with fresh juicy summer peaches…
I have shared this before – several years ago I made Piña Colada Cheesecake Bars with a Pretzel Shortbread Crust.
We typically serve this “salad” in bowls as is, but spreading the salad mixture over a crust and cutting it into bars is another great way to serve this. It still requires a fork, but…
tastes like childhood.
- In saucepan over medium heat, add milk and marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are mostly melted. Remove from heat.
- Add gel powder, stir until completely dissolved.
- Fold in drained pineapple, spoon cream cheese into mixture in small spoonfuls - stir to break up somewhat.
- Cover and transfer to refrigerator to set half way - about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Fold in CocoWhip / whipped coconut cream.
- Transfer to 8x8 baking dish or similar.
- Cover and return to refrigerator to set, several hours to overnight.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Elmhurst - Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
- Dandies - Minis - Vegan Marshmallows, Vanilla, 10 Ounce (Pack of 2)
- Jeannie Prebiotics 100% No Animal Content Gelatin-free Dessert [High Fiber & Vitamin C], Assorted Flavor, 3.6oz Boxes (Pack of 12)
- DOLE Pineapple Tidbits in 100% Pineapple Juice 20 oz. Can
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 134
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.