Easy Gluten Free Vegan BBQ Sauce – a quick and easy, flavor packed sauce that is oil free, vegan, and mildly sweetened by fruit. a versatile favorite!
recipe originally published September 10, 2015
Gluten Free Vegan BBQ Sauce
This summer, we have hosted and attended more BBQ parties than in recent years. Last month, there was at least one per weekend, sometimes more. After a few, I started to see a trend in what I’d make to bring.
I mean, it is delicious…
if not predictable…
So, after a while, unless my spinach dip and brownies were requested, I branched out a bit. Dusted off an old recipe I have been using for years, my Easy Gluten Free Vegan BBQ Sauce. I first shared it here two years ago, with a mac and cheese stuffed burrito.
This sauce is so easy to blend up – the most difficult aspect being peeling and chopping the pineapple. You can bypass that step and make it even easier if you use canned or frozen pineapple pieces.
In fact, if you do, this sauce is pretty much a pantry staples kind of recipe. Of the seven ingredients, I would bet I almost always have six on hand. and I always have onions, and have used one in place of the shallot.
Vegan BBQ Sauce
When I make a batch of this for a recipe, we sometimes have sauce left over. We have been using it as a sandwich and wrap spread. I also have another BBQ recipe to share with you soon.
I will share the new recipe before summer is over, because it is a GOOD alternative to spinach dip and brownies at a potluck. Ha! It will definitely work as we head into the holidays and game day parties too.
This sauce covered the BBQ Mac and Cheese Burrito:
and flavored our popular Savory BBQ Crunch Protein Balls recipe:
Everyone loves those Savory Protein Balls.
Depending on what I am making this sauce for, the consistency may vary. For the recipe I am sharing soon, I wanted a thinner sauce. Once the sauce is finished, I will add water by the tablespoon to thin.
The juicy aspect of fresh pineapple changes the consistency as well – sometimes a deliciously juicy pineapple requires no additional water and the sauce is a lovely thin consistency. Sometimes the pineapple yields a rich, thick sauce:
VEGAN SAUCE RECIPES
Vegan BBQ, here we come!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- In saucepan, sauté shallot in a bit of water until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- While sautéing shallot, add chopped pineapple to blender. Blend at highest speed until completely smooth. (Strain if needed before adding to sauce.)
- To saucepan with shallot, add ketchup, molasses, vinegar, mustard, smoked paprika, and puréed pineapple. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Continue to simmer for 30-45 minutes, whisking occasionally. Sauce will reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to jars or covered containers and refrigerate.
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Vitamix 5300 Blender, Professional 64 oz. Low-Profile Container
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Tomato Ketchup, 24 Ounce
- Wholesome Sweeteners, Blackstrap Molasses, 16 oz
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Honey Crisp Apple Juice, 32 Fluid Ounce
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, 16 Ounce (1 pack)
- Amora Strong Dijon Mustard from France - 2 plastic bottles - 265 grams each
- Morton & Bassett Paprika Smoked, 2 ounce
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 42mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 0g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.