spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,grilling,Happy Hour at Home,recipes,snacks,Vegan

spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

The sort of obvious thing? I have never eaten buffalo wings (never liked chicken).

The ironic thing? I love faux wings.

The bad thing? Most are either made with soy or vital wheat gluten.

The awesome thing? I have a buffalo chick-quin wing that is both gluten and soy free.

I’ve been holding out on you – but today I am making up for it. I have made these more times than I can count, they just get more and more awesome every time, and I am finally sharing with you.

I have sandwiched them between my spicy buffalo flatbreads, cooled down a bit with celery ranch dressing.

buffalo flatbreads

They are great as a warm topper to a crisp cool salad, and I finally tried them on the grill (I used a grill pan in case they fell through or fell apart). They grill perfectly!

Even without the flatbreads, these wings are perfect dipped into that cool ranch. Perfect.

Ever since I posted the latest teaser taco with my cool coconut cabbage slaw, y’all have been asking after these chick-quin wings again. Buffalo flavor on the inside and out with a flavorful crispy coating, these are my new favorite thing.

For you:

spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

egg, dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12-14 “wings”

2 1/2 cups Erewhon corn flakes, divided
1 1/3 cups chickpeas, peeled
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 to 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
2 teaspoons onion powder
salt and pepper
1 small yellow onion, diced fine
2 stalks celery, diced fine

In food processor, pulse corn flakes to fine crumb; set aside.

In food processor, pulse chickpeas to a crumbly paste. Add 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs, quinoa, nutritional yeast, buffalo sauce, onion powder, salt and pepper, pulse until smooth. Transfer to mixing bowl and mix in onion and celery.

Put remaining corn flake crumb on a plate. Form chickpea – quinoa mixture into “wings” and roll through corn flake crumbs.┬áPlace on prepared (parchment / silpat) baking sheet, top with additional buffalo sauce.

Bake @ 325 for 25 minutes, turn and bake another 20 minutes.

spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

Perfect for a Memorial Day weekend party.

or a Thursday…

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 23, 2013 at 5:46 am

I’ve never had real wings either. They look so disgusting when people are eating them. But these? Yep. I’ll take some for lunch please! Hope you’re having a good week. I’ve been disconnected mostly.

2 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 8:11 am

guh – eating something “off the bone” has never appealed (aside from the meat thing, which never really appealed either).

so happy you are disconnected this week – ENJOY the beach!! XXO

3 A. Cook May 23, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hi! This recipe looks amazing and I definitely want to try making it. Just one question–what do you mean by “peeled” with regard to the chickpeas?
Thanks!

4 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 8:09 am

hello! peeling the chickpeas is not totally necessary, I just usually do it – there is a thin “skin” on the bean that is easily removed my simply “pinching” the bean and the skin comes off. it is time consuming, definitely, but I find it meditative? :) again, not totally necessary for a recipe like this, but makes a HUGE difference with things like hummus – so much smoother!

5 A. Cook May 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thank you! I can totally see how that would be meditative…I have a similar experience when I pull the outer layer off of fava beans. :)

6 Ari @ Ari's Menu May 23, 2013 at 7:31 am

Okay, so I usually hate things that are trying to be meat, but aren’t meat, but with real ingredients like chick peas and quinoa, these sound even BETTER than real buffalo wings!

7 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 8:07 am

Ari, THANK YOU, so do I! I rarely eat the “faux meats” that are highly processed (and generally have vital wheat gluten as main ingredient), that is why I am so excited by these! fairly simple and really tasty! :)

8 Madison V. May 23, 2013 at 9:22 am

Is it possible to substitute the corn flakes for bread crumbs or something else? Thank you!

9 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

hi Madison, I have only made these with the corn flakes, so I am not sure how a sub would work, since it is part of the “wing” itself, not just a coating. A bread crumb may work, not sure if the quantity used would be the same?

10 Eve May 24, 2013 at 4:34 am

It might be the worst idea ever, but first thing I thought of, was making this even “quin-ier” (and low GI for me) by subbing the corn flakes with quinoa flakes… No idea how this would work, though! Might try this out this week-end, I’ll keep you posted!

11 Eileen May 23, 2013 at 11:42 am

I too was going to comment on the peeling of chickpeas! Clearly time-consuming, but it sounds like it’s well worth it. Anyway, these wings sound great! I might try making them in burger form too. Yay!

12 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 23, 2013 at 1:08 pm

AMAZING. I feel like I’m always relying on soy or wheat gluten for faux ‘meat’ and I know from making my quinoa and bean burgers that I do like the texture of this combination. I can’t wait to think about how I can adapt this. [I'm not as big of a fan of buffalo sauce...but BBQ sauce? THAT I can do.]

13 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I dream that some day, we will be able to have a meal together. I really want it to be this meal! This is my kind of feast!

14 Abbie May 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm

These look fantastic! I might try them with a teriyaki maple sauce or bbq sauce, my stomach sometimes can’t handle too much buffalo sauce. What a great recipe! I may even try to use some leftover panko breadcrumbs in my pantry and see how they work.
And thanks for all of your suggestions for placed to try in Portland! Three days wasn’t enough time to explore (eat), so I definitely want to take another trip back in the future!

15 Abbie May 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm

… and by placed I mean places…

16 Diane (createdbydiane) May 23, 2013 at 11:34 pm

What a fun twist on an old favorite!

17 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies May 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I was wondering what the “quin” was in the name and then I saw quinoa–duh, of course. :) I am going to have to make these soon soon soon! The husband loves all those faux soy chicken dealies and I’m trying to introduce healthier alternatives.

18 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never been interested in faux meat…until now. I love when bloggers have such enthusiasm for their own recipes. It makes me want to try it that much more. Your enthusiasm shows, and now I want these even more.

19 Richa May 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm

oh my… these look like a total winner. i have to make these this weekend!

20 Roz@weightingfor50 May 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I do eat wings sometimes…..but would give them up for a serving of these any time! Hope your weekend has gone well so far Kris.

21 Crissie May 28, 2013 at 8:22 am

Those look awesome! Since going GF, I’ve had a harder time being creative. What a great recipe, I’m totally making these.

(AND…it was wonderful meeting you this past weekend!).

22 Ashley F. May 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Oooo, girl – I am all over these things!

23 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts May 30, 2013 at 4:06 am

So, so creative and such great ingredients! One wouldn’t have to be vegetarian or vegan to enjoy these. I do love my chickpeas! ;-)

xo,
Shirley

24 Katie of Vegan Noms June 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This is so creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap… I had a little sad moment when I saw the post title, thinking “These have to have gluten, I just know it!” But, wow. Definitely going into my recipe box!

25 Kristina Sloggett June 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm

thank you Katie! I know, that is what I have heard so much, people are excited these are not gluten filled :) I hope you like them! xo