Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings

Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings

Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings – a vegan “wing” that is both gluten and soy free, and has great flavor! Perfect for tacos, sandwiches, or dipped in ranch…

___________________________________________

The sort of obvious thing? I have never eaten buffalo wings (never liked chicken).

The ironic thing? I love faux wings.

The bad thing? Most are either made with soy or vital wheat gluten.

The awesome thing? I have a buffalo chick-quin wing that is both gluten and soy free.

I’ve been holding out on you – but today I am making up for it. I have made these more times than I can count, they just get more and more awesome every time, and I am finally sharing with you.

I have sandwiched them between my spicy buffalo flatbreads, cooled down a bit with celery ranch dressing.

Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings

They are great as a warm topper to a crisp cool salad, and I finally tried them on the grill (I used a grill pan in case they fell through or fell apart). They grill perfectly!

Even without the flatbreads, these wings are perfect dipped into that cool ranch. Perfect.

Ever since I posted the latest teaser taco with my cool coconut cabbage slaw, y’all have been asking after these chick-quin wings again. Buffalo flavor on the inside and out with a flavorful crispy coating, these are my new favorite thing.

For you:

Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings

spicy buffalo chick-quin wings

egg, dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12-14 “wings”

2 1/2 cups Erewhon corn flakes, divided
1 1/3 cups chickpeas, peeled
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 to 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
2 teaspoons onion powder
salt and pepper
1 small yellow onion, diced fine

In food processor, pulse corn flakes to fine crumb; set aside.

In food processor, pulse chickpeas to a crumbly paste. Add 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs, quinoa, nutritional yeast, buffalo sauce, onion powder, salt and pepper, pulse until smooth. Transfer to mixing bowl and mix in onion.

Put remaining corn flake crumb on a plate. Form chickpea – quinoa mixture into “wings” and roll through corn flake crumbs.Ā Place on prepared (parchment / silpat) baking sheet, top with additional buffalo sauce.

Bake @ 325 for 25 minutes, turn and bake another 20 minutes.

Spicy Buffalo Chick-Quin Wings

Perfect for a Memorial Day weekend party.

or a Thursday…

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

guh – eating something “off the bone” has never appealed (aside from the meat thing, which never really appealed either).

so happy you are disconnected this week – ENJOY the beach!! XXO

Hi! This recipe looks amazing and I definitely want to try making it. Just one question–what do you mean by “peeled” with regard to the chickpeas?
    Thanks!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hello! peeling the chickpeas is not totally necessary, I just usually do it – there is a thin “skin” on the bean that is easily removed my simply “pinching” the bean and the skin comes off. it is time consuming, definitely, but I find it meditative? :) again, not totally necessary for a recipe like this, but makes a HUGE difference with things like hummus – so much smoother!

• says

Thank you! I can totally see how that would be meditative…I have a similar experience when I pull the outer layer off of fava beans. :)

Okay, so I usually hate things that are trying to be meat, but aren’t meat, but with real ingredients like chick peas and quinoa, these sound even BETTER than real buffalo wings!

• Kristina Sloggett says

Ari, THANK YOU, so do I! I rarely eat the “faux meats” that are highly processed (and generally have vital wheat gluten as main ingredient), that is why I am so excited by these! fairly simple and really tasty! :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Madison, I have only made these with the corn flakes, so I am not sure how a sub would work, since it is part of the “wing” itself, not just a coating. A bread crumb may work, not sure if the quantity used would be the same?

• Eve says

It might be the worst idea ever, but first thing I thought of, was making this even “quin-ier” (and low GI for me) by subbing the corn flakes with quinoa flakes… No idea how this would work, though! Might try this out this week-end, I’ll keep you posted!

I too was going to comment on the peeling of chickpeas! Clearly time-consuming, but it sounds like it’s well worth it. Anyway, these wings sound great! I might try making them in burger form too. Yay!

AMAZING. I feel like I’m always relying on soy or wheat gluten for faux ‘meat’ and I know from making my quinoa and bean burgers that I do like the texture of this combination. I can’t wait to think about how I can adapt this. [I’m not as big of a fan of buffalo sauce…but BBQ sauce? THAT I can do.]

These look fantastic! I might try them with a teriyaki maple sauce or bbq sauce, my stomach sometimes can’t handle too much buffalo sauce. What a great recipe! I may even try to use some leftover panko breadcrumbs in my pantry and see how they work.
    And thanks for all of your suggestions for placed to try in Portland! Three days wasn’t enough time to explore (eat), so I definitely want to take another trip back in the future!

I was wondering what the “quin” was in the name and then I saw quinoa–duh, of course. :) I am going to have to make these soon soon soon! The husband loves all those faux soy chicken dealies and I’m trying to introduce healthier alternatives.

I’ve never been interested in faux meat…until now. I love when bloggers have such enthusiasm for their own recipes. It makes me want to try it that much more. Your enthusiasm shows, and now I want these even more.

Those look awesome! Since going GF, I’ve had a harder time being creative. What a great recipe, I’m totally making these.

(AND…it was wonderful meeting you this past weekend!).

This is so creative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap… I had a little sad moment when I saw the post title, thinking “These have to have gluten, I just know it!” But, wow. Definitely going into my recipe box!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you Katie! I know, that is what I have heard so much, people are excited these are not gluten filled :) I hope you like them! xo

• Kristina Sloggett says

heh. THANK YOU! this recipe was borne out of a want for a gluten free “meat” item – I do so enjoy my seitan, but it really messes with me. these are one of our favorites, I make them often!

Trackbacks

1. […] WINGS Baked Spicy Greek Yogurt Chicken Wings with Greek Yogurt Bleu Cheese Dressing – Katie’s Cucina Buffalo Chicken Wings – Jewhungry Chicken Wings & Blue Cheese Dip – Chocolate, Chocolate and More Clean Eating Buffalo Wings – The Gracious Pantry Lighter Boneless Buffalo Wings – Will Cook For Smiles Spicy Buffalo Chick-quin Wings – Spab […]