This old school classic red chicken is updated as a vegan recipe with jackfruit. An easy dinner option that packs a bright punch of flavor! the leftovers may be even better...
recipe originally published February 9, 2015
Mom's Red Chicken Recipe
Total nostalgia for me, this dish. As soon as I pour the vermouth in the skillet and the sauce comes together, I am transported back to childhood. My kitchen smells so good, and I can envision Little Kristina making a big plate of buttered rice, and pouring a big ladle of this red sauce over the top.
Sometimes I ate a small amount of chicken, but even back then as you know, I was not all that fond of the meats.
It was what my mom did with chicken that I loved. The flavors in this dish - tangy smoky sweet - instantly remind me of mom's cooking.
Classic Old School Recipes
Now that we have great plant based versions of chicken, I am reworking some of mom's recipes. This was the first dish I wanted to make - I have cravings for this one often.
Aside from the chicken, the only other ingredient that is not naturally vegan is Worcestershire. Then I found this sorcery, and all was right in the world again.
This recipe comes together quickly - a one skillet wonder that is so easy. Mom's original recipe is for a baked dish. Since my "chicken" here is jackfruit, it really only needs marinating time and a simmer in a skillet. I have made this three times now, and I have twice doubled the recipe for extra leftovers.
I know what I am having for lunch today.
Did you make this red chicken recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 1 (20 ounce) can jackfruit, drained and chopped / shredded
- 1 cup organic ketchup (my favorite)
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan, gluten free)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup water
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon each sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- In large bowl, combine shredded jackfruit with ketchup and vermouth. Cover and refrigerate to marinate at least one hour, up to to several hours.
- In a skillet over medium low heat, sauté diced onion and minced garlic with Worcestershire sauce until softened.
- When onion and garlic mixture is soft and translucent, add water, lemon juice and zest, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- To the skillet mixture, add marinated jackfruit. Stir to combine completely. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm over rice.
- Store leftovers covered in refrigerator for up to three days.
dairy, egg, oil, and gluten free, vegan
Serving Size:½ cup before rice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239 before rice
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.