Valentines Dinner In

Jason and I went out to dinner for Valentines Day, and it was wonderful and fun… we like to go out to dinner. We had a delicious four course dinner at Naomi Pomeroy’s Beast.

Iron Chef fans may remember Naomi Pomeroy in Battle Truffle against Jose Garces last fall.

Truffles? Yes please!

Beast was amazing. It’s family style, meaning there are two seatings a night, a prix fixe menu and everyone is served together. It’s really fun to chat with others seated at your table – we got lucky and had a few really neat people seated with us!

Last night, I wanted to continue Valentines, and I surprised Jason with a homemade four course dinner of my own…

first course, salad course (a little bit louder and a whole lot… oh, what? only me? okay)

a simple salad of butter lettuce, iceberg and spinach with broccoli, dressed with olive oil, basil and lemon

second course, a pizza that I cannot wait to make again!

asparagus pizza

gluten free crust
sun-dried tomato basil spread
vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
asparagus spears
olive oil

Spread sun-dried tomato spread on pizza crusts, top with cheese. Arrange asparagus in rows, drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

third course, pasta:

fettuccine with roasted tomato creme

15 fresh tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
2 tablespoons flour (gluten free ap)
1 cup almond milk
pasta (quinoa spaghetti)
sea salt to taste

Chop tomatoes, arrange on sheet pan with garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and roast @ 450. Make a roux: melt earth balance in sauté pan, add flour, blend and brown slightly. Add almond milk, stir until creamy. Add 1/2 roasted tomatoes and roux to food processor or blender – blend to smooth. Add this mixture and remaining roasted tomatoes to slow cooker, cook on low several hours. Add cooked fettuccine to sauce and serve.

fourth course – chocolate truffle torte

This was inspired by the Valentines dessert we enjoyed at Beast – we were served a chocolate truffle cake topped with a brûléed housemade marshmallow and a candied rose petal. It was amazing, and I wanted it again last night.

I made a gluten free chocolate truffle torte, very dense and rich.
I topped it with Jason’s favorite, vanilla bean ice cream, and my favorite, salted caramel sauce.

This torte? Probably one of my top five recipes ever! I can’t decide if I want to write a cook book or open a bakery!

Comments

thanks, Mary… it was so incredible. I am SO SUPER EXCITED about it. seriously, I want to make them and sell them. 😀

What a heavenly looking meal….that pizza looks good and I love the idea of cooking a four course meal! I might have to steal that idea and surprise my bf.

I’ve been wanting to check out BEAST for a long time.

It was amazing food – you guys would LOVE it!! the food, anyway… some people don’t like the “family style” but their tables are big, they don’t crowd you (like they do sometimes at Le Pigeon).. nothing against Le Pigeon, I LOVE it there… :)

anyway, you should go – they have brunch also, and a “recession sessions” once a month, three courses for $30, and a vegetarian series… we will definitely be back!!

…and yes… the four courses was a fun thing… I prepped everything beforehand, so I didn’t have much to actually “do” in between… having the pasta sauce in a slow cooker was easy, the salads were quick to put together, and I made the pizzas about an hour before, and added the asparagus last minute. the dessert we waited a while anyway, so all I had to do was quickly heat the caramel… YUM and it was FUN 😀

Mmm… I am SO excited at how it turned out… I seriously cannot wait to make it again… I want to have a party or attend a party, just so I can share this amazingness with people!! :)

What a meal! I bet he was so thankful for a surprise 2nd Valentine’s dinner at home. Dining out is so much fun, but there’s nothing like wearing my pajamas and slippers in the kitchen with Billy. :)

Thank you, Charisse! That asparagus pizza / tart was such a hit we’ve had it again, with homemade dough, with socca… Thanks for reading – I’m looking around at your blog now! :)

3. Danny says

I’ve made the “pizza” in a slightly different form. I’ve used a puff pastry crust and Gruyere cheese. It’s a wonderful dish to welcome Spring.

oh, yes – I’ve done this too… I love puff pastry “tarts” – and the natural pairing for me always seems to be asparagus? and gruyere makes anything better!

I am so excited to win this through Katie’s fundraiser!!! It looks AMAZING. One of my friends just found out she has celiac disease, so I am excited to share the gluten free recipe with her. Thanks again!

hi Meg!! I’m glad you are so excited… this is GOOD… it’s my newest favorite recipe! I am going to do my best to pack it VERY CAREFULLY so it arrives in one piece… 😀 I hope you enjoy!! Give my best to your friend – the transition to gluten free can be daunting, but tell her it gets easier… I have been gluten free for several years and have seen HUGE improvements in that small amount of time!

Thank you for bidding – I am so happy Katie is able to go on this important trip!

5. Jett says

Hi
    I just found your site and really enjoy it. Would you be willing to share your recipe on the chocolate torte? It’s my husbands favorite and this looks more like what he likes. Please, please, please??
    Thanks