these Vegan Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes are a perfect appetizer for any event – two bite hand held snacks that are bursting with fresh flavors!
recipe originally published July 29, 2010
Vegan Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes
Some of my favorite dinners are made up of small plates. I love an appetizer spread, and love to throw any sort of party. From a casual weeknight of inviting a few friends over to the back yard, to the more planned out full on party.
With all sorts of tasty eats.
This is one of those half prep ahead and half assemble day of recipes. Otherwise known as totally easy. I make the Vegan Herb Ricotta the day before and store it in a covered container the refrigerator.
The day of the event, I slice up some fresh Roma tomatoes, quickly chiffonade some fresh basil, and fill the tomatoes with the ricotta. Top with the chiffonaded basil and voila – a brightly colored and vibrantly flavored appetizer is done!
Using fresh ripe tomatoes in the summertime is my favorite – literally walking outside to my patio herb garden and choosing the warmest, ripest tomatoes on the vine.
Sweet fresh jewels, they are.
Tomato Appetizer, Two Ways
I have two ways I make this appetizer, and they are both incredible!
The recipe is written for a fresh raw tomato filled with the vegan ricotta cheese. If you want a flavor explosion (and a kitchen that smells divine!) do this!
Follow the recipe as is, and then:
- preheat your oven to 350 °F
- top each filled tomato with more cashew dust, salt and pepper
- arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet
- bake at 350 °F for 15-18 minutes
- remove from oven and cool slightly before enjoying!
Vegan Herb Ricotta
My tried and true, dairy free version of ricotta is also a quick and easy recipe. I have been making this one for years, and from it, my Vegan Boursin Cheese was eventually born! They are similar in flavor, with the Boursin being creamier in consistency, while the ricotta is more crumbly.
It will take you minutes to make this Vegan Herb Ricotta. I like to make this ahead even when I don’t have plans for a party – the flavors have time to marinate and marry. Mmm.
We love to have this ricotta on hand to top salads with, dip crackers in, or a spoon…
vegan appetizer recipes
- 1 (14 ounce) block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces (I have used raw AND roasted / salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- fresh Roma tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded
- Drain tofu. Using a tofu press or paper towels and something heavy, press tofu until most liquid is removed.
- Add cashews to blender and blend almost completely to dust, mostly very small pieces. Be careful to watch and stop blending before the cashews turn to cashew butter.
- Transfer pressed tofu to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork to break into pieces. Add the cashew dust, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, dried onion flakes and chives. Continue to mash tofu, combining all ingredients thoroughly, until the tofu has a crumbly ricotta consistency.
- Slice Roma tomatoes in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds to leave a tomato shell. Using that same spoon or a piping bag, fill each tomato half with the ricotta mixture.
- Arrange on a serving tray and top with fresh chiffonaded basil.
dairy, egg, oil, and gluten free, vegan
EZ Tofu Press - Removes Water from Tofu for Better Flavor and Texture.
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Chef Knife - Professional 8 Inch Knife
Epicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board, 14.5 by 11.25-Inch, Natural
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/4 cup ricotta / 4 tomatoes
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 99 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 167mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 7g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.