vegan and gluten free Savory Sweet Summer Rolls with Raspberry Ginger Sauce – also known as Best of Summer Rolls – fresh basil and juicy nectarines wrapped with a buttery pan fried tempeh, crunchy pistachios, and perfect avocado for layers of summer flavor!
vegan and gluten free Summer Rolls
You know I am all about bright and vibrant, yes?
That is what we have going on here, rolled up color and flavor, all summer long. Fresh basil from our garden, juicy nectarines and perfect avocado. Green and purple salty crunch from chopped pistachios, and a few thin slices of buttery pan fried tempeh.
So simple, so complex, so so very good.
I cannot get over the flavors in these rolls.
This is something I will be eating often this summer – I have already had them several times, and when I ran out of rice paper? I used these ingredients to make a salad.
I recently spent the day with Oregon Fruit Products – you may recognize them from their gorgeous black labels. I began the day climbing into the farm truck for a drive out to one of the local farms that grow their fruit – Oregon Blueberry Farm is about a ten minute drive (the majority of the farms that grow their product are within 45 miles).
We met with Farmer Bob, or Bobby G, and then toured some of the 200+ acres of blueberries. Picking, eating, chasing a harvester down an aisle of blueberries! I learned about the varieties of blueberries – Blue Jay, Duke, Elliot, Draper, Liberty, Blue Crop – did you know there were so many blueberries?
The blueberries picked that morning? We followed those back to the plant and watched them go through processing, same day! Incredible, I had no idea the turnaround is that quick, honestly.
Between watching that happen and tasting canned blueberries on a salad at lunch, I have a completely new view of canned and jarred fruit. If I was anywhere else, I would have assumed those blueberries on the salad were fresh, they looked, felt, and tasted fresh!
I made a quick dipping sauce with Pourable Fruit – a new Oregon Fruit product in the frozen section. These are incredibly tasty and versatile, and I have been having fun using them. This is one of many recipes to come, and next time, the tour continues back at the plant!
My favorite tempeh is still Lightlife Tempeh – it is always “fresh” with minimal dark spots. I know, I know, those are fine, I just don’t really care for them.
For these rolls I used the plain version, and it tastes great when pan fried in butter.
This is one in a series of recipes I will be making with Oregon Fruit Products. They generously hosted me for the day, complete with an incredible plant based lunch and baskets of product to play with.
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- small bunch fresh basil (16 leaves)
- 3 fresh nectarines, pitted and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 8 rice paper rounds
- Raspberry Sauce:
- 3/4 cup Raspberry Pourable Fruit
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced fine
- juice of 1 lemon
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add sliced tempeh to melted butter, pan fry a couple minutes on each side. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Rice Paper Hydrating Technique: have a large plate/surface ready to fill/roll wrapper (and have fillings prepped and ready!). hold wrapper under water faucet running cool water, getting both sides of wrapper wet. remove from water and while still firm, place on plate and begin to fill – rice paper will soften as it sits, but will not be so soft that it sticks to the surface or rips when handling.
- Assembling Rolls: Place 2 fresh basil leaves in middle of rice paper. Top with 2-3 slices nectarine, then 1-2 slices avocado. Add 2-3 slices tempeh, sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Add one more slice avocado and nectarine. Roll tightly like a burrito – fold short sides over, turn and fold one long side over and roll / tuck / roll / tuck until completely enclosed.
- Combine all ingredients, transfer to dipping bowls.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 35mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 11g Protein: 14g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.