These savory sweet summer rolls with raspberry ginger sauce combine the best of summer for fresh layers of flavor.
recipe originally published August 5, 2010
Fresh fruit summer rolls
You know I am all about bright and vibrant, yes?
That is what we have going on here, rolled up color and flavor, all summer long. Fresh basil from our garden, juicy nectarines and perfect avocado. Green and purple salty crunch from chopped pistachios, and a few thin slices of buttery pan fried tempeh.
So simple, so complex, so so very good.
I cannot get over the flavors in these rolls.
This is something I will be eating often this summer - I have already had them several times, and when I ran out of rice paper? I used these ingredients to make a salad.
I made a quick dipping sauce using fresh ginger and raspberries.
For the protein component in these summer rolls, I used a plain tempeh. This is super tasty when pan fried in butter.
Did you make these fresh fruit summer rolls?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- small bunch fresh basil (16 leaves)
- 3 fresh nectarines, pitted and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 8 rice paper rounds
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced fine
- juice and zest of 1 fresh lemon
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add sliced tempeh to melted butter, pan fry a couple minutes on each side. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Assembling Rolls: Place 2 fresh basil leaves in middle of rice paper. Top with 2-3 slices nectarine, then 1-2 slices avocado. Add 2-3 slices tempeh, sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Add one more slice avocado and nectarine. Roll tightly like a burrito – fold short sides over, turn and fold one long side over and roll / tuck / roll / tuck until completely enclosed.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine raspberries, ginger and lemon juice / zest, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and continue simmering. Most raspberries will have broken down and the mixture will reduce to a sauce.
- Use a fork or potato masher to further macerate the berries as needed.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Transfer to dipping bowls and serve with summer rolls.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan recipe
Rice Paper Hydrating Technique:
- Assemble all roll fillings.
- Have a surface ready to fill and roll.
- Hold rice paper under water faucet running cool water, getting both sides wet.
- Remove from water and while still firm, place on plate and begin to fill – rice paper will soften as it sits.
- Arrange fillings on one side, leaving room at edges.
- Carefully fold edges in, then roll.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 14g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.