Lemon poblano mac and cheese brings a bright and tangy flavor twist on a classic mac and cheese, served up in a perfectly spicy poblano pepper, side of lemon.
recipe originally published April 19, 2013
Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese
This lemon poblano mac and cheese gets some side eye, for sure. Trust me on this one.
I already had the plan to make this poblano mac and cheese, and at the last literal minute I decided to include lemon.
This is a new thing I will be doing more often.
That tart lemon flavor I love blends surprisingly well with mildly spicy grilled poblano and creamy cheesy sauce. It adds some light brightness to a dish that is traditionally rich.
Classic Comfort Food
This Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese is a vegan version of the most traditional mac and cheese - making a roux with butter and flour, then adding cheese and noodles. I learned how to make mac and cheese this way at an early age, and again this method was emphasized in culinary school.
more Vegan Lemon Recipes:
- Light Bright Lemon Smoothie
- Lemon Elderflower Layer Cake
- Salted Papaya Ribbons with Lemon and Mint
- Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Waffles
- Lemony Brussels and Kale Chiffonade Salad
- Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
Vegan Comfort Food Recipes:
- Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Enchiladas
- Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip
- Pumpkin Bread French Toast
- Bourbon Roasted Delicata Comfort Bowls
- Hearty Portobello Kale Lasagna
- Brownie Bottomed Cheesecake
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 4 ounces gluten free elbow pasta
- 1-2 poblano peppers, seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup cashew milk
- 5 ounces cheddar (dairy, soy free), cubed
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Grill or roast poblano peppers. When cooled, chop into small bite size pieces.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour to a smooth roux, reduce heat to low. Add milk, whisking constantly to a white sauce. Add cubes of cheese, stir as cheese melts into a sauce.
- Add lemon juice and zest, roasted pepper and cooked pasta, combine completely.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.