this vegan Lemony Brussels and Kale Chiffonade Salad is a big bowl of flavorful crispy greens for your holiday table, brunch, weekday lunch or dinner salad.
recipe originally published November 12, 2017
Perfect Holiday Side Dish
While I am sharing this now as an option for some greens on your holiday table, I eat salads similar to this all the time. All year long. I’d say ninety percent of my kale salads are chiffonade style – the way I have been making my kale salads for years.
In addition to the classic massage of the kale salad, a chiffonade is my favorite way to soften the notoriously tough kale leaf. A kale chiffonade is an easy salad to eat. But the notoriously tough kale leaf? Is what makes this the perfect holiday side dish! You can make it ahead, and it stays hearty and does not wilt. Looking for that last minute addition to your menu? This is that quick and easy salad recipe you are looking for!
The ribbons make great vehicles for super flavorful dressings, yes?
Best Kale Salad
After spending the holiday morning snacking on appetizers while cooking with my mom, I am always wanting some fresh greens. My mom and I may be the only ones who even eat the salad, but that’s okay.
More fresh greens to go with the leftovers, right?
I rarely follow a recipe for a salad – my favorite thing to do is grab a big bowl and a whisk, and open the fridge to hunt for dressing ingredients. Usually some sort of hummus – tahini – lemon – maple – vinegar kind of concoction to add some greens and things to.
Our holiday salads are always something along that blueprint. I just gather…
Quick and Easy Salad Recipe
This year, this Lemony Brussels and Kale Chiffonade Salad will be our holiday salad! It was a fresh favorite at a recent brunch, and I have been enjoying it for weekday salads recently.
Super quick and easy to assemble, this salad gets great layers of flavor from the Lemon Cider Maple Vinaigrette. Bright and vibrant and brilliantly colorful.
Pair this salad with a Hearty Roasted Mushroom Bisque and a crusty bread for a deliciously warming winter dinner. Serve alongside brunch favorites, or pile high for an Elaine style Big Salad lunch.
This salad basically plays nice in any setting.
more kale salad recipes
- juice of 1 fresh lemon (2+ tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts (2+ cups), washed
- 1 large bunch kale, washed
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup raw cashews / cashew pieces
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, zest, mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and salt. Set aside.
- Cut stems and rough outer leaves from Brussels sprouts. Chop Brussels sprouts small. Add to bowl with Lemon Cider Maple Vinaigrette.
- Slice stems / ribs from kale leaves. Stack several half leaves together, roll tightly. Slice into thin ribbons (chiffonade). Continue to chiffonade remaining kale, add to vinaigrette bowl.
- Toss kale and Brussels with vinaigrette to thoroughly coat. Transfer to serving bowl and top with cashews and cranberries.
- Store covered in refrigerator for three days.
- Serve with Hearty Roasted Mushroom Bisque for a warming winter dinner.
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
Amora Strong Dijon Mustard from France - 2 plastic bottles - 265 grams each
Organic Maple Syrup, Grade A, 16-Ounce
Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, 16 Ounce (1 pack)
NOW Foods Raw Organic Cashews
Ocean Spray Craisins Dried Cranberries, 24 Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 81 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 173mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.