this brunch perfect vegan pumpkin bread French toast will be your new favorite - during the holidays and beyond! also: how to make French toast vegan.
recipe originally published November 8, 2014
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Vegan Pumpkin Bread French Toast
As if French Toast wasn’t amazing already, this vegan pumpkin bread French toast will have you running for the breakfast table.
The spicy flavors of pumpkin and cinnamon come together in a toasty comfort food dish that will make breakfast a huge success. Liven up the traditional French toast recipe we all know and love with this delectable breakfast dish.
This French toast recipe is one of our favorite ways to enjoy Pumpkin Bread… especially on cozy weekends during the holiday season! This works as a casual family breakfast and is also totally brunch worthy. It brings a whole new meaning to Pumpkin French Toast.
Quick Bread French Toast is nothing new here – our longtime readers might remember the Zucchini Bread French Toast of 2012.
The next year, our Savory Broccoli Cheddar French Toast stretched the rules in the best of ways. Mmm.
How can French toast be vegan?
Traditional French Toast is made with an egg based custard. When I decided to stop eating eggs, French Toast was honestly one of the first things I knew I needed to replicate.
Early versions of my vegan French Toast custard involved silken tofu, which is still a great ingredient for this. See our Baileys and Black Tea French Toast recipe for that method.
Other custards use the commercial vegan egg products. While I have done this with great results, the vegan egg replacers are not something I always have on hand, while a shelf stable silken tofu is often sitting in my pantry. Another pantry staple that I use for custards is cashews - which is what we make the Pumpkin Bread French Toast with.
Easy ingredients we always have available. Perfect for those mornings I wake up with a craving that only French Toast will satisfy.
How To Make Vegan French Toast
- Make the Pumpkin Bread Recipe ahead of time.
- Slice the number of pieces you want for French Toast, and set aside.
- Place your cashews and apple juice in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add the rest of your ingredients except the butter and pumpkin bread and mix well.
- Dip pumpkin bread slices in the custard and place on a heated, buttered griddle,
- Cook per instructions and enjoy!
- Serve with maple syrup, nut butter, pumpkin caramel, or powdered sugar.
Tips For The Best Pumpkin Bread French Toast
- Use pumpkin bread that is completely cool: if the bread is too warm, it could be a little too soft and could turn into a bit of a mushy mess when dipping it into liquid.
- Substitute another liquid for the apple juice: use your favorite plant milk if you prefer.
- Hot Griddle: always be sure that the griddle is heated before you even dip the French Toast slices, so they begin to caramelize and cook right away. Adding French Toast to a griddle that is not preheated might result in soggy slices...
How Do You Keep French Toast From Getting Soggy?
In my opinion, there's nothing good about a sad, soggy slice of French toast. I have a few tips to insure this doesn't happen to you.
A thicker toast and not too much liquid is the key to a perfect slice of French Toast. This is why pumpkin bread works so well when making French Toast. On its own, it’s already thicker or denser, making it almost impervious to sogginess.
If using normal, sliced bread for French Toast, make a thicker custard that won't soak into the bread as quickly. Then dip the bread at the last minute, just before placing on the hot griddle.
Best Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Caramel
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal with Golden Cashew Cream
- Soft Batch Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Smoothie
- Pumpkin Caramel Chocolates
Did you make this vegan pumpkin bread French toast?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup apple juice or dairy free milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter (soy free if needed)
- 6-8 slices (gluten free) Pumpkin Bread with Salted Pepitas
- In high speed blender, combine cashews and apple juice / milk. Blend on highest power until completely smooth.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, blend until combined.
- On large griddle over medium heat, melt butter.
- Dip bread into cashew custard, place on griddle. Cook about two to three minutes before flipping, when just golden brown. Cook another couple few minutes on other side, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 23gProtein: 13g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.