Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese

Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese

Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese – a bright and tangy flavor twist on a classic mac and cheese, served up in a perfectly spicy poblano pepper, side of lemon.

________________________________________________________

Crazy roller coaster week, right? From Boston and Texas and MIT to a couple more ambulance rides to the Emergency Room for Dad*, life has me wanting comfort – a relaxing afternoon with two dachshunds, a night out with Jason, a day off from everything, and comfort food.

*Dad is okay.

I say roller coaster because this week has not been all bad – there have been ups with the downs. From the devastating tragedy we have been shown incredible strength and that unbreakable spirit of community – people helping and giving without question, simply as a reaction because it is their nature.

Inspiring.

I have had many smiles – very lucky to have the friends and family that I do, and I have been given constant and unwavering support. Lucky girl.

I have had some great conversations! Invigorating conversations with difference of opinion, all respected even when countered. I love good conversation.

Invigorating!

Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese

Back to the comfort food.

I love lemon. Lemon in dessert, lemon in savory entrees – it’s all good. I already had the plan to make this poblano mac and cheese, and at the last literal minute I decided to include lemon.

This is a new thing I will be doing more often.

That tart lemon flavor I love blends surprisingly well with mildly spicy grilled poblano and creamy cheesy sauce. Adds some light brightness to a dish that is traditionally rich.

Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese

lemon poblano mac and cheese

inspired by poblano mac and cheese

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

4 ounces (1/2 of an 8 ounce package) gluten free elbow pasta
1-2 poblano peppers, seeded
1 tablespoon butter (dairy, soy free)
1 tablespoon flour (gluten free all purpose)
1/2 cup milk coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
5 ounces cheddar (dairy, soy free), cubed
juice and zest of 1 lemon

Grill or roast poblano peppers. When cooled, chop into small bite size pieces.

Cook pasta according to directions.

Meanwhile, in saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour to a smooth roux, reduce heat to low. Add milk, whisking constantly to a white sauce. Add cubes of cheese, stir as cheese melts into a sauce. Add lemon juice and zest, roasted pepper and cooked pasta, combine completely.

Serve with lemon wedges.

Lemon Poblano Mac and Cheese

Favorite comfort food?

Spell-check wanted to change poblano to Point Blank. Keanu on a surfboard, anyone? Gary Busey, maybe?

Comments

It has been a roller coaster week for sure, and I wish life would quit offering all these situations with so much “perspective” from twisted reality. However, like you said, the good always, always shines through.

Favorite comfort food? Hmm…oddly, I might say oatmeal with almond milk, nut butter and banana. It just makes me all warm and fuzzy. Also, anything with pasta or dairy-free cheese…pizza anyone?

Um, love this idea. Love stuffing poblano peppers as it is and Jason loves mac n’ cheese. Talk about comfort food to the max. I’m glad you’ve had some ups at least and I am so glad your dad is ok. Thinking about you guys often. Hugs

Three thoughts:

1 — SO SO glad your dad is ok, big sigh. big hugs.

2 – I am legit thisclose to hopping a flight so you can make this and ALL the other ridiculous recipes you share here with me. I’ll move in, you can cook for me all day, I’ll letcha 😉

3 – the beauty of the support and unbreakable spirit of our community here in Boston and the running community at large is nothing short of stunning, isn’t it?

Oh so your dad is ok. for sure a crazy time and a freaky world…

I am all lemony too these days, we need some fresh dishes and yours is perfect for the season. What I like the most in your recipe is the inclusion of coconut milk. Must be heaven on earth all together.

I agree with your thoughts on this week, but I mostly want to tell you that stuffing a pepper with mac and cheese is AH-mazing. And it’s blowing my mind.

I’m glad to hear your dad is ok, and I see you are taking care of yourself in style with this wonderful comfort food. This Mac and cheese looks so amazing stuffed inside the poblano pepper and drizzled with lemon. This is a must try for sure. Your creativity astounds me.

It sounds like a pretty good week and I’m glad that your father is alright :) This recipe is simply lovely and so very very creative! I love mac and cheese and I can’t say I’ve ever seen one quite like this. I must try it!

I have a poblano mac & cheese on my blog too, but no lemon–I will need to try that! I could eat lemon in just about everything too.

I’m glad your dad is okay. I hope this week is all highs for you, no lows!

First, SO glad your dad is okay, and I am sorry for the roller coaster week :-/ that, combined with the bombings and everything else last week, must have been intense. ((hug))

Lemon? MY FAVORITE! lemon and mac and cheese? DROOL!!!