quinoa basil bean burgers with basil aioli

in baking, Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

quinoa basil bean burgers with basil aioli

Big thank yous to all of the sweet messages about Missy – it was a sad night, and today all I want to do is sit and hug Basil.

We just returned from a long walk in the sunshine, and I’m about to get a late start to my workday. I wanted to finish up this post that I wasn’t able to complete last night. Just had to get my extra Basil time in – last night and today.

This is the other basil in my life – fresh basil from the garden just cannot be beat. Basil adds great flavor to one of our favorite burgers – and over the years I have adapted this recipe just a bit. This is the latest version, which I enjoy between a gluten free roll with gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, greens, and homemade basil aioli.

basil quinoa burgers with basil aioli

Jason enjoyed his with our favorite cheddar and more red onion:

quinoa basil bean burgers

I actually made those gluten free rolls for another project not involving burgers at all – but they prompted me to attempt a gluten free roll recipe that more closely resembles a burger roll. Fun to work on, and I’ll share any positive results!

white bean quinoa burgers

egg, soy, dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 6 large patties, 10 slider size

1 tablespoon flax seed, freshly ground
3 tablespoons warm water
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and mashed
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
3-4 small potatoes (new, red, Yukon gold), roasted and mashed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 red onion, finely diced
large handful fresh basil, minced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
pepper and sea salt, to taste
2 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour, extra to roll/form

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 1 tablespoon in a bowl, add 3 tablespoons water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel.

Combine beans, quinoa, potatoes, nutritional yeast, onion, basil and garlic in a large bowl, stir or use hands to incorporate. Add flour and flax gel, combine completely. Using flour (flour hands and have a plate of flour to work with), form patties 3 1/2 inch round, 1/2 inch thick.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes – flip burgers after 20 minutes.

vegan basil aioli

inspired by this basil aioli recipe

1/2 cup safflower oil*
3 tablespoons almond milk*
juice of 1 lemon
large handful fresh basil

*(vegan) mayonnaise can be subbed for oil and milk

In high powered blender, combine oil and milk and blend on high until creamy. Add lemon juice and basil as you continue to blend. Store in airtight container in refrigerator 3-4 days.

Summer in veggie burger form – yum.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

You know I’m going to say that I love this and it looks incredible. Have you ever had a flop of a recipe??? I love white beans. They are so versatile and don’t have a strong flavor so they can be used in so many different ways.

2 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

haa, I DO INDEED have flops! they don’t make it here, silly ;) white beans are my favorite too – neutral and creamy – very versatile!

3 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm

We just had quinoa burgers last night! Ours were with black beans, corn, basil, and lime. This version looks fantastic, too, especially with the basil aioli. I need to try that for sure!

4 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

your burgers sound great too – I will have to try those flavors (I love lime!).

5 jobo July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

((hug)). I hugged my kitties extra for you and Missy (and Basil!) today. How has your dad been with the news? Take care of you, ok?? Pet loss is always so so hard and until you have a pet, it’s hard to understand just how deep. I definitely get it. And this recipe looks so good, btw, how do you come up with such yummies all the time!

6 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

thank you for that. Dad was upset, although he does not show emotion much. I can tell. I know he misses her. extra hugs are being given all around this week – very sad week.

7 Lynne July 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Maybe get your dad another cat or animal to love on. Usually getting another one will help with the grieving process.
BTW, your burgers do look awesome. I am always looking for new recipes to try. I have a picky 13 year old who sometimes fights eating just veggies.

8 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

thanks, Lynne – funny you mention that, Dad just said to me the other day “I think we need a cat” :) we will be visiting a shelter this coming weekend…

9 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

oooh those look terrific! and that basil aioli! YUM!

10 Jess July 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ohhh I think we have a winner!! I have been dying to find a veggie burger recipe that my picky husband will actually be open to trying and this might be it!! I just showed it to him and he nodded and said he’d give it a shot. Look at that! haha. I’m so excited. Plus – I owe him a homemade dinner of my choosing. I won a game of rummy and that was my prize — to make him whatever I WANTED to make and he’d have to eat it regardless. I chose homemade veggie burgers :)

11 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

I hope he likes it!! great idea for a rummy win! ;)

12 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Mmmm – love the white bean in this, something I haven’t put in a veggie burger yet. And I can’t wait to see the bun recipe!

13 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator July 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

These look like just the right combo of light and hearty. Yum.

14 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

you described them perfectly, Stephanie!

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

These sound amazing! I LOVE quinoa bean burgers. The texture is amazing! I bet the basil takes this to the next left. Perfection!

16 Jen @ Savory Simple July 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm

This all looks so delicious!

17 Jenna July 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm

these look so good!

18 Korin July 25, 2012 at 10:07 pm

would this work with any bean? I have black beans and black eyed peas. these look very good!

19 Gerri Konditeri July 26, 2012 at 12:10 am

these look great!

20 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

thank you, Gerri!!

21 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 26, 2012 at 2:11 am

Kristina, Kristina, KRISTINA!! You CEASE to amaze me! These look beyond amazing! And I absolutely love the chew that quinoa gives to a good veggie burger! And thanks for reminding me you can BAKE veggie burgers…I always forget, but I do prefer it since they usually seem to crisp up more in the oven!

22 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

thank you Heather! these are a longtime favorite here, the flavors are so bright and fresh. we love quinoa, and it is a great burger ‘base’ I think! we have also cooked these on the grill, but in my grill pan, because I don’t want them to fall apart between the grates!

23 Jenn @therebelchick July 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

These look really good! I want to try making an aioli!

24 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

thanks, Jenn – we love them! aioli is SO easy, and very versatile!

25 ally July 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

those burgers… that aioli… flawless!!
xo

26 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

thank you Ally!

27 Javelin Warrior July 26, 2012 at 9:03 pm

These burgers are so creative and I’ve never seen quinoa combined with beans to create patties before – I love love this! It looks so tasty… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I can’t wait to see what you create next…

28 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

thank you again, I always look forward to these posts, and am always honored to be among such beautiful creations! Cheers!

29 Mom Foodie July 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I haven’t tried making quinoa burgers since my last attempt failed… perhaps it is time to give it another whirl.

30 Catherine August 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Super delicious. I didn’t have quinoa and I wanted to use what was already in the cupboard, so I used millet instead, and they were yummy. (I used your cashew-based recipe for the aioli, for the same reason, and everything was great!)

31 spabettie August 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

good to know the millet works as well – so happy you liked them, thanks!

32 Happy Little Feet August 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

These look great, we love trying new “burger” recipes.

33 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

I hope you try this one, we love it! Cheers! :)

34 Michelle @Amourbeurre August 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I am following after this recipe! So glad to have found your blog!!

35 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

hi Michelle, and thank you! good to “meet” you and have you here! :)

36 Alexis @ Hummusapien November 1, 2012 at 6:02 am

These look delish! I love the addition of the veganized basil aioli. Great pics, too :)

37 spabettie November 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

thank you so much, Alexis! this is one of our favorite burgers… :)

38 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 13, 2013 at 7:02 am

I love pretty much everything you make, and this certainly is no exception. I do have a random question, and you may not know the answer, which would be fine too. Any idea if or how well the basil aioli would freeze? I’m guessing it would be fine since it’s almond milk and oil, but thought I’d ask your take as well.

39 Sandy May 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I made these tonight and they are delicious! I used Trader Joe’s eggless mayo for the basil aioli, and served it up with some baked zucchini chips. Yummy! Thanks for the excellent recipe.

40 Kristina Sloggett May 28, 2014 at 6:28 am

you are so welcome, Sandy – glad you enjoyed (and baked zucchini chips sound SO GOOD). cheers!