quinoa basil bean burgers with basil aioli

quinoa basil bean burgers with basil aioli

Big thank yous to all of the sweet messages about Missy – it was a sad night, and today all I want to do is sit and hug Basil.

We just returned from a long walk in the sunshine, and I’m about to get a late start to my workday. I wanted to finish up this post that I wasn’t able to complete last night. Just had to get my extra Basil time in – last night and today.

This is the other basil in my life – fresh basil from the garden just cannot be beat. Basil adds great flavor to one of our favorite burgers – and over the years I have adapted this recipe just a bit. This is the latest version, which I enjoy between a gluten free roll with gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, greens, and homemade basil aioli.

basil quinoa burgers with basil aioli

Jason enjoyed his with our favorite cheddar and more red onion:

quinoa basil bean burgers

I actually made those gluten free rolls for another project not involving burgers at all – but they prompted me to attempt a gluten free roll recipe that more closely resembles a burger roll. Fun to work on, and I’ll share any positive results!

white bean quinoa burgers

egg, soy, dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 6 large patties, 10 slider size

1 tablespoon flax seed, freshly ground
3 tablespoons warm water
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and mashed
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
3-4 small potatoes (new, red, Yukon gold), roasted and mashed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 red onion, finely diced
large handful fresh basil, minced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
pepper and sea salt, to taste
2 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour, extra to roll/form

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 1 tablespoon in a bowl, add 3 tablespoons water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel.

Combine beans, quinoa, potatoes, nutritional yeast, onion, basil and garlic in a large bowl, stir or use hands to incorporate. Add flour and flax gel, combine completely. Using flour (flour hands and have a plate of flour to work with), form patties 3 1/2 inch round, 1/2 inch thick.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes – flip burgers after 20 minutes.

vegan basil aioli

inspired by this basil aioli recipe

1/2 cup safflower oil*
3 tablespoons almond milk*
juice of 1 lemon
large handful fresh basil

*(vegan) mayonnaise can be subbed for oil and milk

In high powered blender, combine oil and milk and blend on high until creamy. Add lemon juice and basil as you continue to blend. Store in airtight container in refrigerator 3-4 days.

Summer in veggie burger form – yum.

Comments

You know I’m going to say that I love this and it looks incredible. Have you ever had a flop of a recipe??? I love white beans. They are so versatile and don’t have a strong flavor so they can be used in so many different ways.

haa, I DO INDEED have flops! they don’t make it here, silly 😉 white beans are my favorite too – neutral and creamy – very versatile!

((hug)). I hugged my kitties extra for you and Missy (and Basil!) today. How has your dad been with the news? Take care of you, ok?? Pet loss is always so so hard and until you have a pet, it’s hard to understand just how deep. I definitely get it. And this recipe looks so good, btw, how do you come up with such yummies all the time!

thank you for that. Dad was upset, although he does not show emotion much. I can tell. I know he misses her. extra hugs are being given all around this week – very sad week.

• Lynne says

Maybe get your dad another cat or animal to love on. Usually getting another one will help with the grieving process.
        BTW, your burgers do look awesome. I am always looking for new recipes to try. I have a picky 13 year old who sometimes fights eating just veggies.

thanks, Lynne – funny you mention that, Dad just said to me the other day “I think we need a cat” :) we will be visiting a shelter this coming weekend…

Ohhh I think we have a winner!! I have been dying to find a veggie burger recipe that my picky husband will actually be open to trying and this might be it!! I just showed it to him and he nodded and said he’d give it a shot. Look at that! haha. I’m so excited. Plus – I owe him a homemade dinner of my choosing. I won a game of rummy and that was my prize — to make him whatever I WANTED to make and he’d have to eat it regardless. I chose homemade veggie burgers :)

Kristina, Kristina, KRISTINA!! You CEASE to amaze me! These look beyond amazing! And I absolutely love the chew that quinoa gives to a good veggie burger! And thanks for reminding me you can BAKE veggie burgers…I always forget, but I do prefer it since they usually seem to crisp up more in the oven!

thank you Heather! these are a longtime favorite here, the flavors are so bright and fresh. we love quinoa, and it is a great burger ‘base’ I think! we have also cooked these on the grill, but in my grill pan, because I don’t want them to fall apart between the grates!

These burgers are so creative and I’ve never seen quinoa combined with beans to create patties before – I love love this! It looks so tasty… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I can’t wait to see what you create next…

thank you again, I always look forward to these posts, and am always honored to be among such beautiful creations! Cheers!

6. Catherine says

Super delicious. I didn’t have quinoa and I wanted to use what was already in the cupboard, so I used millet instead, and they were yummy. (I used your cashew-based recipe for the aioli, for the same reason, and everything was great!)

I love pretty much everything you make, and this certainly is no exception. I do have a random question, and you may not know the answer, which would be fine too. Any idea if or how well the basil aioli would freeze? I’m guessing it would be fine since it’s almond milk and oil, but thought I’d ask your take as well.

8. Sandy says

I made these tonight and they are delicious! I used Trader Joe’s eggless mayo for the basil aioli, and served it up with some baked zucchini chips. Yummy! Thanks for the excellent recipe.

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are so welcome, Sandy – glad you enjoyed (and baked zucchini chips sound SO GOOD). cheers!

Trackbacks