Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins are the perfect combination of two fresh summer crops – fluffy and flavorful, with a double dose of sweet crumb topping!

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

I am really reeeeaaally excited about these muffins.

I have been baking for many many years, perfecting recipes from bagels to croissants, muffins to cakes to cheesecakes. When I chose to remove gluten from my kitchen and most of what I eat, I had to relearn how to bake. I love doughy and dense, so I resigned myself to the thought that gluten free baking always had that result.

Recently I have made it a priority to learn the finer points of gluten free baking – what the gums do and how much to use, what flours bring what result. It is a work in progress, but I am progressing!

These muffins combine two of my favorite summer crops – cherries and zucchini. If these were not made in my own kitchen where I know there is no flour containing gluten, I would have never believed they are gluten free. Honestly.

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

Jason and I have been eating these with breakfast the last several days, and each day we are both saying the same thing – how fluffy and … ‘normal’ these feel.

Progress. and I’m really excited about that.

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

Please make these muffins. Make the crumb topping. If you are making the crumb topping, prepare it first so the muffin batter can quickly get into the oven.

I love crumb topping, did you know? Love it. When I was a kid, all desserts with a crumb topping would mysteriously end up without crumb topping. I don’t know why. Wasn’t me.

This crumb topping? I could eat all of it. By itself. Crumb topped with crumb. Mmm.

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

adapted from blueberry zucchini bread

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

pinch sea salt
2 cups zucchini, grated
1/3 cup safflower oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and sliced

INSTRUCTIONS:

Prepare crumb topping – recipe below.

In large bowl, combine grated zucchini, oil and maple syrup. In same bowl, add flours but do not stir in. On top of the flours, add baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt, stirring into the flours before folding into wet ingredients. Fold in cherries. Pour into prepared muffin cups, 3/4 full. Top with crumble topping and get into oven.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Perfect Crumb Topping

dairy, soy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

tops 12 muffins, 2 loaves quick-bread, 1 cake

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free), melted

INSTRUCTIONS:

In saucepan over medium heat (or in microwave safe bowl, ~1 minute in microwave), melt butter. Add flour and sugar to melted butter, stir until combined, resulting in a thick crumbly paste consistency. Crumble over muffins.

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins

Go, make these. As soon as you can!

printable recipes:

Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins
Author:
Recipe type: bread, muffins, breakfast
Serves: 112 muffins

• pinch sea salt
  • 2 cups zucchini, grated
  • ⅓ cup safflower oil
  • ¾ cup maple syrup
  • 1½ cups fresh cherries, pitted and sliced
Instructions
  1. Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces two eggs).
  2. Prepare crumb topping - recipe below.
  3. In large bowl, combine grated zucchini, oil and maple syrup. In same bowl, add flours
  4. but do not stir in. On top of the flours, add baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt, stirring into the flours before folding into wet ingredients.
  5. Fold in cherries. Pour into prepared muffin cups, ¾ full. Top with crumble topping and get into oven.
  6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Perfect Crumb Topping
Author:

dairy, soy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
Ingredients
  • ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup butter (Earth Balance soy free), melted
Instructions
  1. In saucepan over medium heat (or in microwave safe bowl, ~1 minute in microwave), melt butter.
  2. Add flour and sugar to melted butter, stir until combined, resulting in a thick crumbly paste consistency.
  3. Crumble over muffins.

Comments

hi Christa, and thank you! you are so right – it’s a test of patience and skill to bake vegan AND gluten free. there have been many a ‘fail’ in my kitchen, so these are especially exciting.

What are you doing to me! I can’t keep up with all this good stuff! I have zucchini and cherries…I HAVE to make these! It kind of feels amazing when you find the right mix of ingredients that even you can’t believe it’s gluten free! Amazing my friend, absolutely amazing!

I knew you would appreciate my excitement! Jason is a trooper and always tries my baked items, and is always honest about them 😉 these, he just keeps (incredulously) saying how great they are… and he keeps eating them. that is the true test for me 😉

Jolene, please make these! you can easily use regular all purpose flour in place of gluten free (and can sub ap for the coconut flour as well), and leave out the xanthan gum. if you want to use egg, use two eggs instead of the flax and water, listed first. regular butter/flour for the crumb topping, which is a must. let me know if you make them! XO!

I have a whole set of them – the ceramic version of the original NYC deli cup, the Anthora (I know way too much about them – my favorite cultural icon from my favorite city!). I got them years ago in New York City (where I also brought home two sleeves of the paper cups!), but I have seen them online since then – you should be able to find them easily!

You and crumb topping is me and graham cracker crust. Somehow any cheesecake/key lime pie/etc. that my mom made would end up with the crust sneakily missing from every slice.

And your gf muffins look way lighter/fluffier than my gluten versions ever do, haha. I am the master of (delicious) gooey lumps in muffin tins!

that crumb topping just disappeared on it’s own, you know? it must melt, that’s it! I think it would happen with crust in our house too… 😉 I am VERY excited about these, I’ve been getting closer to the fluffy factor in gluten free baking. I really DO like dense baked goods, but I love that I’m getting better!

these look amazing, Kris! I admire your dedication to gluten-free baking. I see a cookbook and a bakery in your future. and I’ll be at the opening for sure! or beforehand if you need someone to sample the goods…

Wow, these look absolutely scrumptious! I better not show Alan this recipe, he would probably want me to make a double batch ASAP since he’s still dreaming about the crumb cake he devoured at Sweetpea. :)

These look so great! I never would have thought to combine cherries and zucchini bread AND crumb topping, even though these are some of my favorite things. I admire you for trying to grow in gluten-free baking- it looks like your doing a fabulous job!

thank you Kristy! I am always excited when something turns out great like this… there have been many a heavy baked good around here… 😉

These look great. I love zucchini muffins and cherry muffins, but have never thought to put them together. It’s so fun when recipes work out as good, or even better, than you thought they would. I also love crumb topping; it definitely makes pretty much any dessert better :)

I am still excited about how well this recipe turned out – the gluten free baking is not an easy thing 😉

7. Elena says

I was a little scared when it said to pour the batter into the cupcake papers. Mine was way too thick to pour–more like a cookie dough. But they turned out great.

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh good! you know, now that I think back, I think this was more of a spoon in thing for me too – I should change that description. :)

Trackbacks