these gluten free vegan Cherry Zucchini Crumb Muffins are the perfect combination of two fresh summer crops. Also: How To Make Perfect Crumb Topping
recipe originally published July 30, 2012
Table of Contents
- Best Gluten Free Flour for Baking
- How To Make Vegan Zucchini Muffins
- How To Make Crumb Topping
- Vegan Quick Bread and Muffin Recipes
- Vegan Zucchini Muffins Recipe
Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins
I am really reeeeaaally excited about these muffins.
I have been baking for many many years, perfecting recipes from bagels to croissants, muffins to cakes to cheesecakes.
When I chose to remove gluten from my kitchen and most of what I eat, I had to relearn how to bake. I love doughy and dense, so I resigned myself to the thought that gluten free baking always had that result.
If these were not made in my own kitchen where I know there is no flour containing gluten, I would have never believed they are gluten free. Honestly.
Best Gluten Free Flour for Baking
This recipe for gluten free zucchini muffins is fairly straightforward, however. It's all in the flour, and I don't add any extra gums.
My flour of choice is local to me Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. It works especially well in recipes like this one – cakes and quick breads – because the ingredient list does not include gums. This is my go to for most gluten free baking.
This is also the flour I use for crumbles: keep reading to see How To Make Perfect Crumb Topping.
See my Snickerdoodle Bread recipe for more about gluten free baking.
Vegan Zucchini Muffins
These vegan zucchini muffins combine two of my favorite summer crops - cherries and zucchini.
If you have a garden like we do, you may be seeing an abundance of zucchini squash in the summertime. We do - to the extent that I consider hiding extra zucchini in every neighbor's mailbox...
We have a cherry tree as well! Right around end of June - beginning of July, we fight the birds and squirrels for the ripest juiciest cherries of the year. Nothing beats walking outside and enjoying a cherry snack.
Like the zucchini though, we get a large crop of cherries each year. I look forward to coming up with new recipes for one of my favorite fruits.
How To Make Vegan Zucchini Muffins
This is a quick and easy recipe!
- Make the crumb topping
- Grate the zucchini
- Combine grated zucchini with other wet ingredients
- Add flour on top of wet ingredients but do not stir in!
- Stir the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into the flour
- THEN fold everything together until just combined
That's my one bowl tip.
While these are baking, your kitchen smells so good.
Best Muffin Recipe
Jason and I have been eating these with breakfast the last several days, and each day we are both saying the same thing - how fluffy and ... 'normal' these feel.
Progress. and I'm really excited about that.
How To Make Perfect Crumb Topping
The key to perfect crumb topping is ingredients and ratios.
- Too much butter, your crumble will melt
- Brown sugar brings a rich flavor
- White sugar lends more crunch to the crumble
- Adding spices, nuts, and oats add texture and flavor
I love crumb topping, did you know? Love it. When I was a kid, all desserts with a crumb topping would mysteriously end up without crumb topping. I don't know why. Wasn't me.
This crumb topping? I could eat all of it. By itself. Crumb topped with crumb. Mmm.
vegan muffin and quick bread recipes
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Easy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Broccoli Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread with Salted Pepitas
- Sugared Vanilla Snickerdoodle Bread
- Blueberry Cornbread
- Sugared Chai Latte Banana Muffins
- Tropical Banana Bread with Sugared Macadamia Crumble
Did You Make These Vegan Zucchini Muffins?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups fresh cherries, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy free butter
- ¾ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make the Crumb Topping: Combine sugar and butter, mashing with a fork until combined. Add flour, cinnamon and salt, combine until crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Grind flax seed in blender / coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Set aside - this will set into gel (this equals / replaces two eggs).
- In large bowl, combine grated zucchini, oil, maple syrup, and flax mixture.
- In same bowl, add flour but do not stir in. On top of the flour, add baking powder, cinnamon and salt, stirring into the flours before folding into wet ingredients.
- Fold in cherries.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, ¾ full.
- Top with crumble topping and get into oven.
- Bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Organic Ground Flaxseed, 24 Ounce
Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
365 Baking Powder, 10 Ounce
Ground Cinnamon, 2.37 Oz
365 Everyday Value, Organic Coconut Oil, 14 Fluid Ounce
Organic Maple Syrup, Grade A, 16-Ounce
Organic Coconut Sugar
Glass Mixing Bowl Set
Spatula Whisk Set of 6
OvenArt Bakeware Silicone Muffin Pan, 12-Cup, Red
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.