These vegan broccoli cheese muffins are fluffy and cheesy AND they hide a whole tree of broccoli inside! Tasty golden muffins with a fun veggie surprise!
recipe originally published January 25, 2013
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Muffins
Hello, muffin - what's that you're hiding?
Under your cheesy crispy exterior, inside your fluffy buttery crumb, I spy a hidden broccoli tree!
When I made pepperoni chili, I wanted to pair it with a muffin. I knew from the tastes as it simmered all day that this chili was going to be epic - I needed an equally knock your socks off muffin to accompany it.
This fun, kid friendly recipe is epic, this I guarantee.
The flavor is buttery and cheesy and if comfort was a flavor, I'd say that too.
These are crispy yet soft, light yet substantial. The extra fun is a full tree of broccoli inside each muffin - always a popular trick.
and then make these muffins as soon as it is possible.
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, melted
- 10-12 small broccoli trees, stem trimmed to fit inside muffin
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray a 12 muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
- Combine flax and water, set aside to thicken.
- In small bowl, whisk together cashew milk and apple cider vinegar - this is a dairy free buttermilk alternative. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and grated cheese. Add flax mixture, cashew milk mixture, and (cooled) melted butter - stirring just to combine.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling about half way. Add one tree broccoli to each muffin tin, adding more batter to cover.
- Bake at 350 °F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:one muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.