fresh juicy fruit adds a natural sweetness to this fluffy Vegan Blueberry Cornbread recipe. for brunch or any summer BBQ menu – vegan, gluten free, soy free, delicious!
Vegan Cornbread Recipe
I have been adding things to cornbread for a long time.
like our brunch perfect vegan Goat Cheese Corn Muffins.
and these surprisingly fun Broccoli Cheese Muffins.
I cannot take the credit for this idea though. The inspiration for my vegan cornbread recipe comes from the month we backpacked through Mexico.
I first had Blueberry Cornbread on a beach in Sayulita, in the form of a fresh baked cake doughnut. Those sweets were on my mind for the rest of the month… always perfectly timed and often still warm.
Baking Tips for the Best Vegan Cornbread
A vegan buttermilk yields a moist fluffy cake.
Giving the blueberries a tumble in the dry ingredients coats them and helps keep the whole cake from turning blue. While I prefer fresh blueberries for this recipe, they are not always easily found. Thawed from frozen blueberries do work – I pat them dry and definitely coat them in the flour mixture before mixing with wet ingredients.
Oil (or a dairy free butter) helps bring that moisture. The oil is a pretty necessary ingredient, in my opinion. I once tried using applesauce in place of oil – the consistency was off, the crumb was too dry.
Because we bake gluten free, it is especially important to choose the best flours for each recipe. For this bread, I took my favorite gluten free all purpose flour and added a bit of cornstarch – a DIY cake flour.
This is a quick and easy, approachable recipe with a short ingredient list.
I love to serve this for brunch – a pretty platter of fruit studded bread.
A fizzy mimosa, a bright fresh salad, a perfectly sweet blueberry cornbread with melty butter.
This is a fun side dish for just about any occasion – summer potlucks to game day.
Pass me another mimosa!
vegan bread recipes:
Did You Make This Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes – thank you!
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and line with parchment. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add blueberries, stir to coat berries completely.
- Add oil to milk / acv mixture. Add this to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Transfer blueberry cornbread batter into prepared baking dish, spreading into an even layer.
- Place in 350 °F oven and bake for 25- 30 minutes, or until golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
recipe adapted from Goat Cheese Corn Muffins
dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Elmhurst - Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, 16 Ounce (1 pack)
- Bob's Red Mill Organic Medium Grind Cornmeal, 24 Oz (4 Pack)
- Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour, 22-ounce
- Organic Cane Sugar (3 lbs) by Anthony's, Gluten-Free Non-GMO
- Rumford Corn Starch - Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Thickener for Sauce, Soup, Gravy, Vegan, Vegetarian, Resealable Can - 12 oz (1)
- 365 Everyday Value, Baking Powder, 10 Ounce
- FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Silicone Whisk Spatula Spoonula Brush Set of 6 - Red
- Anchor Hocking 8-InchSquare Glass Baking Dish with Teal TrueFit Lid
Serving Size:1 square
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 44 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 132mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 0g
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.