peanut butter

in Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Thank you all for your messages, comments, emails… they make me smile and give me strength, and you have no idea how much they mean to me!

So, as I sit here in the ICU, I read that today is National Peanut Butter Day. Peanut butter is one of my favorite ingredients in both sweet and savory dishes. These are a few of our favorites.

peanut butter chocolate cupcakes

classic fudge

tempeh edamame salad rolls & peanut sauce

fresh mint and chocolate chickpea cookies

peanut butter crunch smoothie

spicy African peanut soup

I can’t forget our four legged friends – apple peanut butter dog treats

Happy Peanut Butter Day!

1 Lynn F January 24, 2012 at 9:34 am

That’s funny I woke up thinking about the African Peanut Soup this morning!! Looks like it’s really time for it now :) !! Take care, and give your Dad a hug for me!

2 spabettie January 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

thank you, sweetie – I just did! <3

3 Dorry January 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

happy PB day, indeed! loved seeing a post from you pop up in my google reader. love you, friend, and thinking about you everyday!

4 janetha January 24, 2012 at 9:45 am

I know I haven’t messaged or commented or tweeted, but I HAVE prayed. <3

5 Heather Blackmon (@betterwithveg) January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am

Those doggie treats look awesome, I haven’t made any for my puppies in a while! Actually, all the recipes look great, but that one really jumped out at me. Guess it’s time to treat the pups to something special. :)

Hope all is going well with you guys, praying and thinking of you!

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 24, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thinking of you (and that pb cupcake!)

7 Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

YOU! (And PEANUT BUTTER!) But definitely you. <3

I sent you a doxie-related smile-inducing link last night… check your email, m'lady.

8 Jillian@whiskeydrinkinchimneysweep.com January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

Mmm..peanut butter. I have all the ingredients for the tempeh rolls to make….again. I love the recipe so much. I am definitely going to be making those garbanzo cookies. Oh yes I will. Mmm..mm. Happy Peanut Butter Day!

9 Susan (Oliepants) January 24, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thinking about your dad and your family. I love your PB foods! :)

10 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

thank you, Susan, so very much appreciated! <3

11 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 24, 2012 at 11:14 am

I made Chickpea brownies and they turned out AWFUL! Well not really awful, but just very “beany”…going to give your balls a go!

12 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

oh no! I make these with very little sweetener because I like the flavor, which I don’t really think is beany, but… I know I’m weird ;) I hope you like these!

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

I had PB with my oatmeal as always, but still, I celebrated right ;-) That icing still looks amazing. I’m determined to get it right the next time I make it. Thinking about you!

14 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:04 pm

thank you Heather – I appreciate it! <3

the icing is like a staple around here... :)

15 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hope things are going ok. Lots of hugs.

That African soup looks amazing – pinning to try!

16 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:04 pm

YES, make the soup!! it is so SO very good. hope you like it!

17 katie January 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

PB loving!!!!

I hope your dad is doing better : )

Lots of love to you!

18 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

lots of love back, Katie – thank you SO much for your continual support – it means a lot! <3

19 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

It really is the little things, isn’t it? Peanut butter definitely helps with a gloomy day. I want all if these eats now! I’m thinking about you and I hope everyone in your family is doing ok. Xoxo

20 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm

thank you for your thoughts, friend <3

21 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Great recap of PB goodies!

Have a great PB Day!

22 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I have to admit I’m not a peanut fan (this applies to the food thing, not the comics). Ahh. But I guess almond butter could be used for all of these as well … ?

23 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I LOVE that you clarified that you DO love Peanuts the comics. I love them so! no wonder I love you! :) I KNOW almond butter would work with many if not all of these – I have made the soup with almond butter before, and cashew butter too!

XXO!

24 caitlin January 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Sent you more email love, dear. Thanks for the reminder about your African Peanut Soup, I need to make more! Love you!

25 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

thank you, dear. your emails mean SO much, always and especially right now. I started a reply, will finish this afternoon :) love you back! wish we could make the soup together!

26 Cara January 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Okay so I am waaaaay behind in my reading and am just now reading about your daddy. Oh goodness, Kris, I am sending you one of the biggest virtual hugs imaginable! I am also sticking my hands into the candy bucket and am throwing candy corn hearts and homemade Kisses at your direction. Give your dad a big hug from me too (even though he doesn’t know me)–just as a thank you for the good work he did with raising you :) xoxoxo

27 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

thank you SO much, dear friend – that means more than you know. *catching candy over here* (I KNEW they were homemade kisses!! what do I win??) ;)

I hope you’re having a fantabulous time away – miss you! I’m working on valentines treats late tonight – if any make the cut I may submit to the contest! <3 XXO love!

28 Cara January 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Yes! You win a lifetime supply of whatever you wish :) <–feeling very generous tonight. I might regret it tomorrow so name your poison now :)

Thinking I need to make my way up north to Washington… xo

29 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

um, on your way to Washington, please stop in Oregon to say hi to me! ;) hee heee….. I’m in Portland!

seeing this just now, looks like you got out of the lifetime supply thing! we’ll just say friendship, then, and watching Wheel together, and perhaps COOKING together someday… and … and … and … ;)

30 Cara January 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Wow, Oregon! That is what I MEANT to say, not Washington <–what a moron! Glad to know you still accept me, ditziness and all :)

A lifetime of Wheel. Done! And balls. And dehydrating (you need to teach me more about this!)

31 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Oh yay! That’s what I thought when I saw a (1) next to your name in my Google Reader :) Happy Nat’l PB Day! Stay strong!

32 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

aww, thank you! :) that makes me happy to hear, really. I miss connecting with everyone when I cannot, you know? it’s not about “posting every day” it’s about the conversation. too many days without that and I’m lost! :)

33 Jess January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I totally failed at celebrating nat’l pb day today! I think that calls for a scoop of PB before bed, right?? PS Still sending you lots of hugs. xoxo

34 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:56 am

of course a scoop before bed is acceptable – probably slept great, right?? :) thank you for your continued love, I really appreciate it. <3

35 hihorosie January 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love peanut butter.

Prayers coming your way and virtual hugs!

36 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

thank you, friend. I appreciate them all!

37 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca January 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I was going to list off which of those recipes I want to try, but…they all look delicious! Especially the fudge and milkshake…and the salad rolls. Oh gosh <3 I love peanut butter :)

38 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

I know, this was a fun post to make. :) there are several I need to make again too…

39 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} January 25, 2012 at 12:29 am

Hugs to you my friend. xo

40 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

thank you, Krista! <3

41 Natasha January 25, 2012 at 5:38 am

Yummmmmmmmm. I loved the rice wraps! I must make them…happy peanut day to you Missy…give your papa’s hand a rub with some cream…read him a book, and tell him some jokes!
Chin up “peanut butter cup”!
Hugs to the power of 10!
Natasha

42 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

Natasha, your comments mean so much to me and really make me smile. Really. I can generally only retain one joke at a time, so perhaps I will have to write some down… :) we gave him a hand massage just the other day – your thoughts are timely!

thank you, I appreciate you my friend! <3

43 Natasha January 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Ditto! Hey – if one of us wanted to send you a treat – what should we do??
Holy crap – you also have “Ican’tretainajoketosavemylife” syndrome? I also can’t deliver one either! LOL!
Mwaaaaah to you and Basil – and huge energy waves to your papa.

44 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

a treat?? :D really? I could give you my address, I love treats!

YES I suffer from that syndrome!! I have no idea why, I can tell a story with the best of them. over and over, in fact. I will be one of those little old ladies on a porch rocker, spinning yarns (not the knitting variety!) but won’t be able to tell jokes… ;)

thank you – Basil sends wag wag wags right back, hugs from me and Dad is certainly receiving the energy! I am heading up there now, and will be taking this smile on my face to deliver to him! :)

45 Natasha January 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

:) I will drop you an email and we can do the addy thing there!
Happy day….

46 Natasha January 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

I asked for knitting needles for Christmas and I SUCK! – I just know all is going to be good – I feel it in “me” bones!

47 jobo January 25, 2012 at 6:50 am

Drooled on cue to all of these! I LOVE PB! And I am glad you are feeling supported by everyone, you deserve it. Prayers for your father. (hug)

48 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:50 am

thank you SO much for your support – I appreciate it so! big hugs back to you. XO

49 Allie January 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

So sorry to hear about life’s stumbling blocks :( But if peanut butter can’t make everything just a little bit better, well, I don’t know what will! I love love your African peanut soup, and yup, I definitely want to make everything else listed here. Except the dog treats–but only because I don’t have a dog.

50 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

thank you, Allie. and yep, peanut butter CAN help most any situation, or at least comfort us? :) that African peanut soup is our favorite too… I need to make it soon. and honestly? I ate one of the dog treats… ;) they were pretty bland, but… GOOD. :)

51 Jillian@whiskeydrinkinchimneysweep.com January 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

So I made the chickpea cookies. I took many a liberty due to ingredients on hand. I used the following ingredients: chickpeas, navy beans, spelt flour, agave, tahini, chia, unsweetened coconut, raisins, vanilla extract and salt. I baked them at 350 for 12 minutes. I must say that they taste so much better today than they did last night. I’ve eaten 6 today. I’m addicted. Thank you for sharing!

52 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

yay! I love the variety of ingredients you used – and glad you like them! why didn’t they taste as good at first? chickpea cookies are an obsession of mine…

53 Pamela March 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm

this all looks so good, where is your cookbook compliation? :)

54 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm

haa – thanks Pamela! perhaps one day…

55 Nilla May 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

everything here looks amazing (I keep stumbling here from this one). hope your dad continues to be well <3