Earth Day Peanut Butter Cups – these vegan chocolates a tasty and colorfully fun way to celebrate Earth Day, while doing what we can to keep our planet healthy and vibrantly colorful! Kid friendly recipe!
recipe originally published April 22, 2011
Earth Day Peanut Butter Cups
Happy Earth Day!
I like to think that many of us think of Earth Day as every day, and we simply use Earth Day itself to raise awareness.
The Earth Day Network has a goal of A Billion Acts of Green, and it got me thinking of what I can do above and beyond what I already do, today and ongoing.
I am happy to live in an area where recycling has always been the norm. Back in college I was vacationing in… three southern states, and remember being shocked at the lack of recycling – even of the basics like aluminum cans and newspaper. It’s a huge eye opener, and I shudder to think one day we will have a real life Idiocracy on our hands, with mountains of landfill.
I could go on and on about how the foreshadowing of Idiocracy is frightening, but that is a whole other blog…
Easy Kid Friendly Recipe Hack:
Step One: Buy dairy free / vegan friendly peanut butter cups, like our favorites here.
Step Two: Frost with the blue and green colors, as usual.
Earth Day Pledges:
- walking to meet my sister for dinner this evening.
- spending very little time on the computer today, television will be off.
- spend much of my time outdoors to take advantage of natural light and conserve our electricity.
- continue planning our annual vegetable garden – I hope to be planting soon.
beneficial everyday habits:
- bring reusable bags to the grocery store.
- eat vegan (anyone can do it, even Meatless Monday helps a great deal!).
- reducing our paper product consumption, using cloth towels, etcetera.
- make vegan chocolate peanut butter cups!
Step By Step Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
first layer chocolate, all the way up the sides:
second layer peanut butter, almost to edges:
third layer, white chocolate covering completely:
- Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- Fill candy cups 1/3 full, coating the inside edges of the wrapper to the top. Cool in fridge until set (15 minutes).
- Spread a spoonful of peanut butter almost to the edge.
- Melt white chocolate, reserving 1/3 for final step.
- Spoon white chocolate over peanut butter layer, smoothing and covering completely. Return to fridge to cool (15 minutes).
- Separate remaining white chocolate into two bowls, coloring one green and one blue. For the last layer, swirl greens and blues to make earth shapes.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
365 Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 12 Ounce
King David Vegan Lactose-Free Non-dairy Kosher White Chocolate Flavored Chips 8.8-ounce Bags (Pack of 4)
Classic Peanut Butter Only Two Ingredients, Gluten-free, Non-GMO, 16oz
Chefmaster Liqua-gel Food Coloring (12 Pack) 20ml Liquid Gel Food Dye Set, Vegan & Kosher Food Coloring, 12 Vivid Food Colors for Easter Eggs, Drink Coloring, Slime Coloring & Fondant Coloring
Justin's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups , 1.4 Ounce (Pack of 12)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 94 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 63mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 4g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.