these vegan peanut butter cups are incredibly easy! learn how to make this classic treat with our step by step photos.
recipe originally published April 22, 2011
Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Vegan peanut butter cups may not be your first thought for Earth Day, but when thinking of how I could celebrate with food? I immediately saw blue and green earth on these delicious rounds of chocolate and peanut butter.
I like to think that many of us think of Earth Day as every day, and we simply use Earth Day itself to raise awareness.
The Earth Day Network has a goal of A Billion Acts of Green, and it got me thinking of what I can do above and beyond what I already do, today and ongoing.
I am happy to live in an area where recycling has always been the norm. Back in college I was vacationing in… three southern states, and remember being shocked at the lack of recycling – even of the basics like aluminum cans and newspaper. It’s a huge eye opener, and I shudder to think one day we will have a real life Idiocracy on our hands, with mountains of landfill.
I could go on and on about how the foreshadowing of Idiocracy is frightening, but that is a whole other blog…
Easy Kid Friendly Recipe Hack:
Step One: Buy dairy free / vegan friendly peanut butter cups, like our favorites here.
Step Two: Frost with the blue and green colors, as usual.
Earth Day Pledges:
- walking to meet my sister for dinner this evening.
- spending very little time on the computer today, television will be off.
- spend much of my time outdoors to take advantage of natural light and conserve our electricity.
- continue planning our annual vegetable garden – I hope to be planting soon.
beneficial everyday habits:
- bring reusable bags to the grocery store.
- eat vegan (anyone can do it, even Meatless Monday helps a great deal!).
- reducing our paper product consumption, using cloth towels, etcetera.
- make vegan chocolate peanut butter cups!
How to make Vegan Peanut Butter Cups, step by step
first layer chocolate, all the way up the sides:
second layer peanut butter, almost to edges:
third layer, white chocolate covering completely:
- Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- Fill candy cups 1/3 full, coating the inside edges of the wrapper to the top. Cool in fridge until set (15 minutes).
- Spread a spoonful of peanut butter almost to the edge.
- Melt white chocolate, reserving 1/3 for final step.
- Spoon white chocolate over peanut butter layer, smoothing and covering completely. Return to fridge to cool (15 minutes).
- Separate remaining white chocolate into two bowls, coloring one green and one blue. For the last layer, swirl greens and blues to make earth shapes.
dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
King David Vegan Lactose-Free Non-dairy Kosher White Chocolate Flavored Chips 8.8-ounce Bags (Pack of 4)
Classic Peanut Butter Only Two Ingredients, Gluten-free, Non-GMO, 16oz
Chefmaster Liqua-gel Food Coloring (12 Pack) 20ml Liquid Gel Food Dye Set, Vegan & Kosher Food Coloring, 12 Vivid Food Colors for Easter Eggs, Drink Coloring, Slime Coloring & Fondant Coloring
Justin's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups , 1.4 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more…
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.