salt and vinegar grilled cheese

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

salt and vinegar grilled cheese

Happy Grilled Cheese Month!

Anyone celebrating? You have a whole month

You may know I have a thing for sandwiches. Like, I make one, then become obsessed with the flavors and that is all I eat for several days in a row. Sometimes for lunch and dinner.

I know – you want to come over for dinner now, don’tcha?

salt & vinegar grilled cheese

I made this salt and vinegar grilled cheese for our lunch last Saturday. Then I woke up early Sunday and made another one for breakfast.

I may be thinking about them again this week…

Thing is, these are kinda sorta healthy, right? Big juicy slices of tomato and thick slabs of cool avocado combine with two kinds of cheese and salt & vinegar potato chips.

Yep. Potato chips.

Crunchy goodness.

In the sandwich.

I have been buying a bag of Kettle Bakes each time I go to the store lately. We love each and every flavor, and baked is better than regular chips, right? Right. Thin-sliced potato, some natural seasonings, baked. That’s it.

Salt and vinegar is my favorite, and instead of a pile of them next to my sandwich, I tucked them inside…

salt and vinegar veggie grilled cheese

salt and vinegar grilled cheese

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

1 teaspoon coconut oil
2 slices bread (gluten free)
2 ounces havarti cheese (dairy free)
2 ounces cheddar cheese (dairy free)
1 Roma tomato, sliced into four thick slices
1/2 avocado, sliced into four thick slices
handful of salt & vinegar chips

In a skillet or griddle over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Arrange cheese in slices equally between the two slices of bread, place on skillet in melted oil. Cover to melt cheese as bread cooks up grilled and crispy. Remove from heat, arrange potato chips in layer over cheese, top with avocado and tomato. Stack together in a sandwich.

Enjoy!

salt and vinegar grilled cheese

What’s your favorite potato chip flavor?

Do you become Good Food Obsessed?

Do you love salt and vinegar chips and want to see something completely awesome? This chocolate cake. oh my goll. Really. Go look.

1 Abby April 17, 2013 at 4:27 am

Of course I get obsessed with certain meals and eat them over and over. In fact, because I’m not creative, I have a rotation of about five different dinners that I just rotate–three of them being sandwiches (sunbutter/banana, avocado, veggie burger and Daiya, etc.)

I hope that cancels out the fact that I’m about to tell you I haven’t had a potato chip in at least a decade. I’m not a snacky-snacky person and chips have never been my thing, with the exception of homemade pita chips. I know, I know…weirdo!

2 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

no, I get it – I’m not really a big chip person either (Jason is!). I rarely get cravings for them, but when I do… THIS happens!

3 Sarah April 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I’m the same! I get obsessed with something and I want to eat it every single day! My man is not amused by this.

And thanks for enlightening me about grilled cheese month. I had no idea, even though I did have a grilled cheese for lunch yesterday and I’m having another today :P

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 17, 2013 at 5:21 am

I had a friend who’s mom loved the salt and vinegar chips. I have to stay away from chips. They are definitely a weakness. Forget chocolate, cake, ice cream, give this girl chips! And I love the looks of this sandwich with the 2 “cheeses” and the roma tomato in there.

5 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm

chips I can take or leave – rarely do I crave them, but when I do, I end up making crazy like this ;)

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 17, 2013 at 6:41 am

I used to put cheetoes on banana sandwiches as a Kidd. And salt and vinegar on bologna. Haha.

This is a childhood dream come try. I’m in Arizona… Close to you than usually. I want to show up at your door.

7 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm

ha – you need to make those combinations for Strange but Good! and YES – I saw you were over here in my neck of the country ;) ENJOY!

8 christina April 17, 2013 at 7:28 am

Ohhh shoot. I had to check this recipe out. And I’m sooo glad that there’s avocado on it. I can’t get enough of it lately. I have it every morning with my poached egg and sriracha!

9 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

oh that sounds like the PERFECT breakfast! and yeah, I seem to be enjoying more avocado lately too – Jason would NEVER eat it, and lately he has been trying it more… I tell him it’s GOOD FAT! :)

(plus if I put sriracha on it, he will eat it…)

10 purelytwins April 17, 2013 at 8:58 am

wow – how did we miss it was grilled cheese month? haha
looks fantastic, love all the color and layers in there! Grilled cheese is a childhood fav of ours :)

11 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I love the colors in here too…

12 Ashley F. April 17, 2013 at 10:08 am

I lurve salt & vinegar anything! I’ll definitely have to give this a try!

13 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I know – salt and vinegar is such a flavorful combination… fun in a sandwich!

14 Kim - Liv Life April 17, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love, Love, love everything about this!! I’ve been reading about grilled cheese month, but I have to admit I haven’t participated. It’s been a looong time since I had a grilled cheese, but you have my mouth positively watering!!

15 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm

perhaps it’s been too long? perhaps you need to make this? :) XO!

16 Richa April 17, 2013 at 11:36 am

mmmm yes please! i knew you would do this:)

17 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I had to. ;)

18 Yum Yucky April 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm

say WHAT! I need that sammich. I’ve been shunning the grilled cheese dinner night at home because it’s not my thang anymore. But your take on grilled cheesiness is full of awesome. I need it.

19 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm

well, if you stuff a bunch of veggies in there, it’s practically health food, right?

20 Jess April 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm

YES, please please please invite me over for dinner!!!!

21 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

oooh, ANY. TIME. that would be SO great!

22 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 17, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Chips in the grilled cheese – OH YUM, that really sounds fabulous!!

23 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

it was pretty dang good…

24 Ari @ Ari's Menu April 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

1. I’m writing you an other list because I have so many things to say.
2. Where I live, it’s grilled cheese month 12 months a year.
3. Salt and vinegar chips inside???? This reminds me of my favorite indulgence from when I was younger–bologna sandwich with mayo and sour cream and onion chips. This looks about a million times better though.
4. Yes. I DO want to come over for dinner. Please?

25 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm

here too – grilled cheese ALL the time! and oooh, you just took me back to childhood – VERY rare treat was a fried bologna sandwich… melted cheddar over warm bologna, mayo and crisp lettuce on soft white bread. WOW that was good. :)

26 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 18, 2013 at 8:20 am

My husband will love this!

27 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

oh, yay! I hope he does! xo

28 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’ve seen burgers topped with potato chips, but never a grilled cheese. Oh, I am SO going to try this.

29 Allie April 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Chips in sandwiches are the best thing ever! And s&v chips are my fave. And grilled cheese is my fave. So together? Seriously, as if all of your posts don’t make me drool. Had NO idea it was grilled cheese month–and I’ve already missed half of it without a single sandwich in site! Time to hit up the grilled cheese food truck again–should be near my office sometime next week, I’ll start planning :)

30 Kate | Food Babbles April 19, 2013 at 6:09 pm

This is just a genius grilled cheese! You have SO many amazing flavors going on here and now I just gotta make it. Love that havarti in there too. And I TOTALLY want to come over for dinner now! What time shall I pop by?

31 lynn @ the actor's diet April 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm

yes. yes please!

32 Wendy April 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm

This sounds amazing! Going to try it with different cheeses! Yummm, thanks for posting!

33 spabettie mom February 7, 2014 at 9:31 am

Oh for sure; I remember those cooked bolona sammies, and if we have them, I always have chips ‘in’ the sandwich..yum

34 Wendy February 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm

OMG – salt and vinegar are my favs too! And I grew up putting chips in my sandwiches! Love it! I have recently gotten over an addiction to the salt and black pepper chips. It was easy – but had to be done!