This vegan Cubano sandwich is a flavorful plant based take on the classic Mojo Cubano sandwich. Incredibly flavorful, crispy, cheesy, tangy.
recipe originally published September 5, 2015
Chef's Mojo Cubano
This vegan Cubano sandwich has great crunchy texture and incredible layers of flavor, just like the traditional Cubano. Inspired by a favorite movie Chef with Jon Favreau, I had to recreate their food truck staple.
With my griddle and a heavy cast iron pan standing in as a plancha and a sandwich press, and my jackfruit based version of Roy Choi's Mojo Pork, this vegan Cubano stands up to the flavorful original.
For the movie, Jon Favreau learned cooking techniques from Chef Roy Choi. Have you seen the movie? It is excellent, but definitely not a plant based story.
Food plays a major role, along with several endearing characters and stories. Add a fantastic soundtrack and visits to cities and places familiar, and I've watched this movie more times than I can count.
Did you make this vegan Cubano?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 (20 ounce) can jackfruit in water or brine, drained
- ½ - 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 fresh mint leaves, chiffonaded / minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 gluten free sandwich rolls
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 slices meatless deli ham
- 2 ounces dairy free provolone cheese, grated
- thin-sliced dill pickles
- To make the Mojo Jackfruit: Chop / shred jackfruit pieces to resemble "pulled" shreds.
- Sauté diced onion in olive oil until soft.
- To the softened onion, add pulled jackfruit shreds, ½ cup orange juice and zest, lime juice, garlic, mint, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook on low heat 10 - 15 minutes, adding more orange juice as flavors cook together.
- Serve warm in sandwiches.
- To make the Cubano sandwich: Butter the cut side of each roll, toast on griddle until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, generously spread each bread with yellow mustard.
- Add 2 slices ham to one bread from each sandwich, then top with Mojo Jackfruit.
- Add cheese and dill pickle slices, cover with other piece of bread.
- Spread butter on the outside of bread, place butter side down on griddle. Butter the outside of the upward facing piece of bread.
- Cook over medium heat, using a heavy (and clean) cast iron skillet as a press, until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown.
- Enjoy immediately.
Store mojo jackfruit in airtight container in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 549mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 11gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.