raspberry lemon cheesecake cookies

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Valentines Day, Vegan

raspberry cheesecake cookies

Raspberries are high on my list of favorite fruit.

My favorite are the local farmers market berries I inhale by the pint, and I cannot wait for those. In the meantime, I buy them every so often from the co-op.

This next recipe for Vegan Valentines – raspberry cheesecake cookies – is one I have had in my head for a bit. I have wanted to add fresh fruit to a cookie, and a cheesecake component just naturally fits with raspberry, doesn’t it?

These cookies are at their best warm fresh from the oven, which is why this recipe is a small batch. I store them in the refrigerator, and put them in the toaster oven for a bit – bringing back their warm freshness.

raspberry cheesecake cookies

My go to dessert is rarely a cookie, but this recipe may change that Рeveryone who tasted these loved them! The cookie dough has a mild sweetness, with raspberries adding that natural tart sweetness throughout. The cream cheese brings the dense cheesecake aspect to this dough, which might be my favorite part.

I will be making these often once summer hits – blackberries, blueberries, even strawberries.

raspberry cheesecake cookies

raspberry lemon cheesecake cookies

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan

makes 12-15 cookies

1 tablespoon flax seed, freshly ground
2 tablespoons warm water
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup dairy free cream cheese (non hydrogenated), softened
1/2 cup sugar (agave, coconut nectar, raw sugar)
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
pinch salt
3/4 pint fresh raspberries
zest of 1/2 small lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 1 tablespoon ground flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces one egg).

Cream together coconut oil, cream cheese, and sugar; stir in flax mixture. Add flour to the top of this mixture, do not stir. Add baking powder, xanthan gum and salt, stirring into the flour before combining flour with coconut cream cheese. Fold in raspberries and lemon zest. Drop cookies by spoonful onto prepared (silpat, parchment) baking sheet, bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes.

raspberry cheesecake cookies

What is your favorite berry? Would you add it to a cookie?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 6, 2013 at 4:49 am

I just have to say how much I love that you made a vegan cheesecake cookie.

I’m going to not choose a berry… but an OREO cheesecake cookie. Oreos are vegan! ;)

2 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:01 pm

now you’re thinking!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 6, 2013 at 5:01 am

Again, beautiful. I would adore the strawberry. My fave fruit and it always reminds me of my grandmother.

4 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:00 pm

aww – that’s a good reason to like them :)

5 Christie - Food Done Light February 6, 2013 at 6:25 am

What a great recipe. I’m just trying to learn about vegan food as my husband’s doctor put him on a vegan diet. I really want to try the flax instead of an egg.

6 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:00 pm

it works very well! :)

7 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 6, 2013 at 6:28 am

YUM. My favorite is definitely a perfectly ripe strawberry, but they rarely work in baking since they have so much water content. Dried strawberries do well though.

8 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

yep, dried works much better, for sure. these were fantastic right out of the oven, and we finished them the next day. Making a more dense “cheesecake” dough helped hold up to the berries too, I’d make these again…

9 Kate@Diethood February 6, 2013 at 7:04 am

LOVE THESE!! You must have been thinking of me when you were making them! Or telepathy is in the works between you and I. :) I made something similar, but nowhere near as healthy as this. I need to change my recipe, asap!

10 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

telepathy is fun ;) looking forward to your cookie…

11 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 6, 2013 at 9:14 am

Yum! A year or two ago I made some blueberry cheesecake cookies that were amazing (if I do say so myself) but they involved very non-vegan and non-lactose intolerant friendly ingredients. I’m glad you’ve solved that quandary. :)

Favorite berry? Raspberry!

And don’t ALL cookies taste best warm from the oven?

12 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Mmm, blueberry cheesecake sounded good too, and I bet yours were! and yes, warm out of the oven is always best… I really should make cookies more.

13 jobo February 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

I need to stop reading your blog when I am hungry for lunch ;-) Pinning!! <3

14 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:47 pm

noooooo! ;)

15 Roz@weightingfor50 February 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

Your valentine is REALLY lucky!!!!

16 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I think so ;)

17 Allie February 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

My go-to dessert is ALWAYS a cookie ;) These sound amazing! I want to make myself a treat for Valentine’s day…these cookies just might be it! I love raspberry and lemon together. I think my favorite berries are blackberries–especially if baked up in a roly-poly or as a cobbler!

18 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

okay, you are going to have to tell me ALL about roly-poly!! I have never heard of this, but I KNOW it is good ;)

19 Allie February 7, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh man, it is–it’s just biscuit dough with a filling of blackberries, lemon juice, and sugar tossed together–simple, rustic, amazing!

20 Kristina Sloggett February 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I just love the name :) well, and the sound of it… I may have to do this soon!

21 Kait @ ChickadeeSays February 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh, my goodness these look PHENOMENAL. I officially just pinned these and put them on my ‘to eat’ list!

xx Kait

22 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm

thanks, Kait – hope you love them!

23 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Raspberries are my absolute favorite berry, and I’d add them to anything. These cookies look and sound great.

24 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:28 pm

my favorite too :)

25 Eileen February 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Raspberry and lemon in cookie form sounds so good! I never thought to wonder why fresh berries aren’t a usual cookie ingredient. Dried fruit, yes; jam, yes. But I don’t know if I’ve ever had a cookie made with fresh berries. That said, I’d absolutely make some!

26 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I think dried would make them last longer, you know? but that’s why I made a small batch – these really are best right out of the oven, and the next day. :) (but yes, with their very short life they are delicious!)

27 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hey you used Xanthan gum, I had no idea what it was used for and really was hoping to figure it out before it came up in a few weeks! These cookies sound amazing!! Kirk used to make cheesecakes all the time, so I bet he would love this!

28 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I use xanthan gum a lot, Heather! most of my baking, anyway – it makes a HUGE difference with gluten free baking!

29 Medeja February 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Raspberries in cookies is really interesting and delicious idea!

30 Amanda February 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Hmm no xanthan gum in the house during the blizzard…not sure what it does. Do I need it if I use regular flour? Or maybe replace with Agar (I’ve heard they can be substituted)?

31 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

hi Amanda, if you are using regular flour, you do not need the xanthan gum, so you should be fine! enjoy, and stay warm and safe!

32 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 8, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I just saw these shared by VegNews on Facebook. WOW. I seriously wish that plate was in front of me right meow :D

Dallas and I are staying in for Valentine’s Day, making a sushi dinner together, sharing a bottle of wine, & watching a movie. I think I will have to add these to our Valentine’s night in, for a yummy dessert :) Thank you!

33 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

awww, I sure hope you do, Char!! that just made my day knowing these could possibly be your dessert :D

34 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I made them!! I can’t wait for Dallas to get home & try them because they are sooooooooo good!! I made a couple changes:

There wasn’t any flaxseed at the store! :( So I had to use an egg. Next time I will try it with the flaxseed, though, because I bet it would add a nice nutty taste.

I used regular all-purpose flour because I didn’t have gluten-free. Obviously I left out the xantham gum for this reason.

And that’s it!! Thank you so much for this recipe! I will definitely be making it again :D

35 Alison C. February 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm

If I don’t care about the ‘gluten-free’ aspect of the recipe, can I just do a straight substitution of regular all purpose flour for the non-gluten all purpose flour? Thanks!

36 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

hi Alison, yep – just use the same amount of regular flour, and you do not need the xanthan gum. enjoy!

37 Karolina February 8, 2013 at 11:42 pm

That looks sooo nice! Thanks for the recipe!

38 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

thanks, Karolina!

39 Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) February 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

Oh, nice! These look really good. I’ve just started using xanthan gum … seems to work really well (even if it’s a little weird).

40 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 9, 2013 at 6:15 am

I don’t know how I didn’t see this post/recipe until now, b/c raspberries are by far my favorite berry and I adore cheesecake. This is quite possible the best recipe ever.

41 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm

oh, I hope you make these then, Anna! we loved them!

42 Patti February 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thank you for this fabulous recipe! Mine came out with the consistency of little muffins – not so much cookies. I wonder if it was because I used all liquid sweetener (1/2 agave and 1/2 maple syrup – it was what I had on hand).

I also used frozen raspberries. Perhaps the added moisture is the cause.

I’m not complaining though because they’re delicious! Yay!

43 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I am happy you still like them! not sure why they were muffin like, but that sounds great to me!

44 Amy February 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

If I use AP flour ( I don’t need gluten free) then I don’t need the xanath gum, correct?

45 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:31 pm

yes, that’s correct Amy – no xanthan gum needed if you are using regular flour. enjoy!

46 Bridget February 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Sounds like a great recipe however I don’t have coconut oil. Is there something you could suggest as a substitute (doesn’t have to be gluten free)? Thanks!

47 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

hi Bridget, you could definitely use butter (or dairy free margarine), or another kind of oil commonly used in baking. I have only made these cookies with the coconut oil, but those other options should work as well. Enjoy!

48 Ozzie February 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Is there a way to do this raw?

49 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

hi Ozzie,

a raw cookie would be good with these flavors, it would be an entirely different recipe that I would have to play around with. I will give it some thought and share what I come up with!

Kristina

50 Maegan February 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

Hello Kristina!

What kind of gluten free flower do you recommend? I have millet, coconut, brown rice and buckwheat…. do any of them work better than others?

Thanks!

51 Jennifer February 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Do you know of any dairy free and soy free cream cheese? These sound amazing, but I can’t have the soy in the cream cheese alternative.

52 willow February 24, 2013 at 9:09 pm

i tried twice in a row making these and both times they would not stay together once they were baked, what could i be doing wrong

53 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm

hi Willow,

I am sorry this is happening, I am really not sure why? I have made these several times and have never experienced them not staying together. does this mean they do not stay in cookie shape, that they spread out on the pan? the only thing I can think of is the raspberries, some might be more juicy than others?

different types of dairy free butters can change the consistency of a recipe, but since this recipe calls for coconut oil, I really am at a loss here.

if you can tell me more about what is wrong, I might be able to figure it out? are they falling apart after baking, or not cooking right? sorry again, I would love more details please.

thanks,

Kristina

54 Maren June 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Oh – My – God!!!

These cookies are so amazing. I made them and shared them with my colleagues today and every single one wowed them. They are moist and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside when eaten same day.

Thank you for sharing this one-of-a-kind recipe!

55 Kristina Sloggett June 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

thank you, Maren – and yes, “when eaten the same day” – you caught that, right? they are phenomenally good eaten immediately. :) so happy you all liked them!

56 MJ August 5, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Made these yesterday and could hardly get out a “yum” while eating them as I was so blissed out :)
Any tricks up your sleeve for making them grain free like with coconut flour? Thank you!

57 Shelby August 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Where can I buy the xanthan gum? And the dairy cream cheese creme? Will it say softened?

58 Doug January 19, 2014 at 7:10 am

I used Guar Gum instead of Xanthan gum and they came out perfect! Thank you so much Kristina. Will definitely be making these again.

59 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2014 at 7:58 am

so happy you enjoyed, Doug!

60 Keisha February 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm

WOWZA! I just baked these at 1:30am yesterday and that was the best middle of the night decision I’ve ever made! Nothing beats these bad boys right out of the oven….

Question- what is it that the xanthan gum provides in gluten-free baking? I don’t usually like to use it, but these turned out so perfect. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

61 Kristina Sloggett February 27, 2014 at 10:19 am

THANK YOU Keisha! isn’t late night baking the best?? and yes, these cookies are best fresh.

Xanthan gum brings volume to baked goods – I describe it as the “fluffy” or not dense quality that gluten usually helps with… it mimics gluten? It is also a thickener for sauces, smoothies…

so happy you like these cookies, they are one of my favorites!

62 Amie March 15, 2014 at 7:11 am

These look incredible! I’m wondering if you could use thawed frozen fruit, specifically blueberries? Just not sure if thawed will be too juicy, changing the consistency of the cookie. Thanks!!

63 Kristina Sloggett March 15, 2014 at 9:45 am

hi Amie! I have not used frozen fruit – maybe pat them dry / let them dry for a bit? this cookie is REALLY good, but best right away BECAUSE of the fruit, really. even with fresh fruit the cookies don’t “last” too long. let me know if you try?

64 Kay May 23, 2014 at 7:51 am

Would it work to freeze or refrigerate the dough in advance. I would love to make these in advance and be able to pop them in the oven right before dessert, but would that ruin the fruit? The recipe sounds delicious!

65 Tae June 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Can’t wait to try this! But I couldn’t find dairy free cream cheese…Will that make much of a difference overall? Thanks!

66 Kristina Sloggett June 3, 2014 at 7:00 pm

hi Tae, I really cannot say for sure, since I have not cooked with regular cream cheese in a while; that said, the consistency is KINDA similar, it should be okay? please let me know if you try with regular! Kristina

67 Kerry August 24, 2014 at 8:39 am

These are by far my favourite gluten free cookie recipe. Normally GF cookies tend to be very rumbly. These were moist and delicious , lauded by GF and no-GF eaters alike. I made them non gluten free as well and both were equally as good. However I did use an egg instead of the flax as there were no vegans among us and I also added white chocolate chips which melded really well.