getting your hands on homemade Vegan Caramel Twix Cookie Bars is easier than you think! this updated version improves on our original recipe. gluten free!
Vegan Caramel Twix Cookie Bars
(recipe for Peanut Butter Twix)
Way back in college, one of my desserts classes had a “copycat” assignment. We were to create a recipe from a popular restaurant dish, or a commercial food product, but change it up.
I chose the Twix candy bar. My unique take was a Mocha Caramel Twix with a Chocolate Cookie. Now that I think about it, I may have to veganize that old school recipe and share it with you.
I have been making homemade Twix ever since, and I first veganized my recipe and shared it here in 2012. That old recipe remains popular to present day, and you have the option of original caramel flavor, or the newer peanut butter version.
Do you have a preference?
I sure do love those peanut butter cookie bars…
Buttery Vegan Gluten Free Shortbread
The other awesome detail of these Vegan Caramel Twix Cookie Bars? These cookies are also gloriously gluten free!
This quick and easy shortbread cookie recipe is crisp and buttery soft at the same time. Delicious on their own, and even better topped with caramel and dipped in chocolate…
A Thought On Caramel
I have wanted to update the caramel aspect of this recipe for some time. The original recipe has a delicious caramel, but it is more of a sauce and tends to be a thinner layer than I would like. Still a perfectly good cookie, but I wanted more caramel.
I have come up with an answer to this, with a terrifically quick and easy method.
With all the flavors of these Vegan Caramels, we can have some pretty tasty Twix…
- 3/4 cup dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or paste
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 40 pieces Vegan Caramels (about 18 pieces per bag)
- 10 ounces dairy free semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding milk by the tablespoon as necessary. Combine until dough forms, do not over mix.
- Knead into a ball, wrap and cool in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll cookie dough to 1/3 inch thickness.
- Slice dough into 3/4 inch wide strips, then into 3 inch long bars.
- Bake at 350 °F for about 12 minutes, until just golden brown on edges. Cool completely.
- When cookies are cooled and ready, prepare the caramels: unwrap each caramel, place on microwave safe plate and warm for just about 10 seconds to soften. (Do this in stages of 4 to 6 caramels at a time.)
- Using your hands, stretch and flatten each caramel to fit over the entire thickness of one half of the cookie. (Two caramels per cookie, or one if your cookies are smaller / thinner.) Place caramels on top of cookies, using your fingers to shape and mold together.
- Repeat with all caramels until each cookie has a thick, even caramel layer.
- In saucepan / double boiler over medium low heat, melt chopped chocolate.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie in melted chocolate, set on parchment. Spoon chocolate over top of cookie, using spoon to cover entire cookie sides. Return to refrigerator to set.
- Store covered in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before enjoying.
Serving Size:1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 147 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Protein: 1g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.