Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins turn vegan rice crispies into a festive pumpkin patch for all of your Halloween parties! A kid friendly craft and tasty treat!
recipe originally published October 6, 2011
TABLE OF CONTENTS - Jump to any section:
Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
Rice crispies have all the sweet nostalgia a gooey childhood treat could bring. My neighbor growing up made crispy treats and popcorn balls at the holidays, and they were truly the best.
Making vegan rice crispy treats is just as easy as the traditional. You need:
- melted butter
- puffed rice cereal
You can also get super colorful and make Trix Rice Crispies.
How to make - and a tip for easy rolling
Adding a rice crispy treat to Halloween menu takes one more step. Instead of mixing and pressing into a pan, add some orange food coloring and roll into small round pumpkin shapes. Find a vegan candy that is green - I use Skittles - for the pumpkin stem.
As you see in the video, I keep a small bowl of water nearby. Rolling the sticky rice crispies into balls is easy with wet hands - they don't stick.
Vegan food coloring
There are good options for food color that is vegan, not tested on animals, and has deep, rich color. I like the gel colors more than powders. The gels work well in melted chocolate and recipes like this one.
Looking at my own food color collection, the one I buy most often is Wilton Icing Gel Color. I often buy the larger jars (they last for a very long time!) at my local baking supply, like this orange gel you can see in the video.
There are natural colors available as well. Many are lighter in color rather than the deep or bright colors I am often looking for.
Sometimes natural color is great, and comes in whole food form rather than a product.
- I often use beets for reds and pinks, like this Bright Pink Hummus.
- Freeze dried raspberries or strawberries do a great job with pinks also, like this Valentines Puppy Chow recipe.
- I use fresh spinach for green, which works well with green pancakes and green pasta.
- Spirulina works well for the blue hues, as seen with this Vanilla Mint Milk.
Halloween recipes and ideas
We have all sorts of festive recipes and ideas for you!
- Pumpkin Carving Templates
- Jack Skellington Mini Pizza Pot Pie
- Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Skulls
- Mini Carrot Mummies
- Haunted Cookie House
- Vegan Candy and Candy Alternatives
Did you make these rice crispy treats?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add marshmallows. Stir over medium heat until melted.
- Remove from heat. If making pumpkins: add orange food color, stir to combine.
- Add rice cereal, stir until combined.
- Press into prepared pan (9×9 square makes tall rice crispies!). Cover and set aside to dry.
- Once set, slice into squares and enjoy.
- To make Pumpkin Patch: wet hands. Roll a handful of rice crispy dough into a ball, add a green candy for a stem. Set aside to dry, continue with remaining rice crispy dough.
dairy, egg, gluten free vegan recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.