you can have these Vegan Gluten Free Samoa Girl Scout Cookies all year long! crunchy gluten free shortbread with sweet coconut caramel and chocolate.
Vegan Samoa Girl Scout Cookies
I was a Girl Scout.
First, a brownie. I wore the uniform (even though brown and orange are not my best colors), earned badges, sold cookies. Fun stuff.
As a brownie, I looked forward to graduating to a Junior. New uniforms – in green and more choices! I had visions of camping and all the fun adventures we would have. and camping. I really wanted to go camping.
I remember the “graduation ceremony” like it was yesterday. We had to “walk the bridge” from Brownie to Junior status, and… well… ours was a makeshift bridge.
A bridge made from magazines, over a reflective river of aluminum foil.
We rarely went camping. Those few camping trips are still the best scouts memories I have. After participating in events and earned badges for another year as a junior, I became a girl scout dropout.
If I could still earn badges, I’d try to earn all the cooking and baking badges.
My mom would still have to sew them for me – I never did earn a sewing badge.
Sweet Caramel Coconut Cookies
As any good childhood cookie salesman would attest, girl scout cookie season is a glorious time of year.
In recent years, the two bakeries handling the regional demand each year have also begun to answer the alternative diet question. Whether their aim is to fill an allergy demand or a lifestyle, there are more vegan and gluten free choices each year.
My own favorite cookie has yet to surface on the vegan list. OR the gluten free list.
What is a cookie enthusiast to do?
Make their own vegan gluten free girl scout cookies.
These cookies really are easy. Several steps, yes – but easy and oh so worth it.
and you don’t have to wait for girl scout cookie season.
more vegan dessert recipes
Were you a Scout?
What is your favorite Girl Scout cookie?
- 3/4 cup dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or paste
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line baking sheets with parchment, set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding milk by the tablespoon as necessary.
- Combine until dough forms, do not over mix. Knead into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 to 1/3 inch thickness and cut into circle shapes (I used a glass about 2 1/2 inches diameter). Cut a small circle in the middle of each cookie. Carefully transfer cookie rounds to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 °F for about 12 minutes, until just golden brown on edges. Cool completely.
- Spread coconut in even layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 °F for 3 minutes – remove from oven, stir – replace and bake for another 3-4 minutes or until toasted, watching closely so the coconut does not burn.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, water and milk, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Add butter, stirring until combined. Let cool.
- Combine toasted coconut and caramel sauce, top each cookie with about a tablespoon. Let set (I placed cookies in refrigerator).
- Once caramel layer is set, melt chopped chocolate over double boiler. Transfer to piping bag (or plastic sandwich baggie) and slice a very small hole at the tip. While cookies are still on parchment, drizzle melted chocolate across each cookie. Allow chocolate to set before storing.
- Store in a covered container for up to 7 days.
cookie recipe based on Vegan Caramel Twix Bar recipe
dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 158mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 5g Protein: 2g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.