avocado recipes

As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program, I recently received a large box of California Avocados. I know. I was excited.

I eat a lot of avocados, so to focus on them and come up with dishes to include them in was fun. You know, instead of standing at the kitchen sink with a knife, eating the avocado slice by slice.

We enjoyed avocado smoothies. Quick and easy – Β Chocolate Sunwarrior, avocado, ice cold coconut water, blend. Yum.

I made my Thai sweet potato wrapΒ into an avocado quinoa bowl. Cool avocado with the warm Thai spices – a perfect pairing.

A sanswich with avocado sauce. I love these. Cool, refreshing summertime snack. Avocado sauce is versatile and tasty.

Then there is this sauce.

Another “recipe” or assembly I use avocado with is my standard quinoa bowl with the amazing garlic lemon sauce. <– eek, a very um… vintage post. The sauce is that good I had to share, and it’s good to see the change in my photography.

My bowl: quinoa, black beans, about 3/4 avocado, two chopped roma tomatoes, generous amount of garlic lemon sauce. I will never get tired of this – great flavors, filling, fast!

Jason’s bowl is the vegetarian version of mine, topped with Greek yogurt and cheddar. Generous pour of sriracha!

Big Thanks to the California Avocado Commission – these avocados were beautiful, and absolutely a great perk of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program.

Do you like avocados? What is your favorite way to enjoy them?

Comments

yep – I love a sandwich with avocado. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would chop up an avocado into cubes, put it on a plate with salt and pepper and eat it! so good, I just sometimes skip the plate. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for posting these! My friend has an avocado tree so she is always giving me bags of them and I have no clue what to do with them. Reminds me…..I need to see if she has some waiting for me!

that sounds great, Caitlin! I need something added to a kale salad, as much as I like kale, it’s not my favorite salad lettuce. adding avocado could change that for me! πŸ˜€

maybe try making the avocado sauce? such a great source of the good fat and so many vitamins.

I understand the texture thing, though. it doesn’t get to me, but I see Jason and his texture dislikes… when I made these quinoa bowls, he had some avocado!! I had it all chopped up (and figured I would eat it all!) and he added some to his bowl! πŸ˜€

I have to go with guacamole as my favorite way to eat avocados! Yum. I could eat avocados every day in some form, but I try not to.

All your food looks AMAZING and super nutrient- dense and colorful- just how me likes :) And can I just admit HOW jealous I am you got avocados sent to your for free? What a lucky chic you are :)
    I’ll have to try your garlic lemon sauce. Grain, bean and veggie bowls are the best, especially with a yummy sauce :)

hi Emilia! πŸ˜€ thank you for the compliment… I love delicious, nutritious food, and that usually means colorful, so that’s a pretty bonus!

let me know if you try the sauce – it’s a favorite around here. hope you’re having a GREAT Tuesday!

Love would be an understatement. I don’t feel complete if I don’t at least one avocado going in my fridge at all times. I top all my egg dishes, salads, and burgers with it. With a little salt and a spoon is also a preferred method of ingestion. I would have loved to get such a package!

ha – “at least one avocado going” – I love it. totally me – there’s a half in my fridge right now! πŸ˜€

LOVE LOVE LOVE California Avocados (and my avocado farmers of course). We’re smack dab in avo-mecca here – don’t hate me – I know you’re jealous! But with crates shipped around, everyone can enjoy california avocados!
    Thanks for the lovely – uber sneaky – nod – I just love my assembly and I think avocados can be assembled with everything and make me a gourmet – oooh la la!

OmG!! I’ve never been so jealous of blogger swag. I don’t buy avocados as much as I would like to because they are usually more expensive than I would like. This post makes me wish I lived on an avocado farm!!

I was SO excited to get these. Mmm, avocados for days. I know what you mean, avos are often spendy, but I figure I’m not buying other things that are more expensive, and LESS… good. πŸ˜‰ oh, an avocado farm would be bliss!

Yes I’m obsessed with avocados too! Although I think a lot of food bloggers are. I love them plain, in sandwiches and wraps, on salads, in smoothies, on top of rice and beans, even on oatmeal!! soo yumm. We have the Florida avocados everywhere here in FL, (duh!) they call them “Slimcados” because they have less fat but they make up for it in water content. They don’t make a very good guac (too watery) but they are pretty tasty otherwise. Although I’m still partial to the CA ones πŸ˜‰

slimcados, huh? I can’t imagine a “watery” avo? do they taste the same? I know most are high calorie, but... it’s good stuff, right? πŸ˜€

• says

they kind of taste the same, but they have a milder taste. It’s kind of like comparing full fat yogurt to fat free yogurt. lol They just have a higher water content than the CA ones. Hey, maybe you could juice them!!! hehee But I love avocados no matter what. good fats! :)

Very nice! Avocados are one of the things I’ve never been overly fond of (although I’ve known them for quite a while because liked to eat them with lemon juice and salt when I was small, but nowadays she doesn’t do that so often anymore – I should ask her what happened, or just remind her ;)), but I want to learn how to like them. I recently bought avocados but the first one I tried wasn’t ripe yet (you see: I’m not that experienced and still have to learn a lot!), and I didn’t like it. But I’ll try again with a ripe one. I got lots of inspiration what to do with them from your post!

Mmm, yep – avocado and lemon juice – YUM. I have a half avo in the fridge right now… perhaps that will be my afternoon snack! πŸ˜€

9. Melissa says

My favorite is avocado mashed on sourdough toast with salt and pepper. But I also love to grill a whole portobello and top it with avocado mashed up with Bragg’s and pepper. Awesome over a bed of lettuce.

Mmm, now you have me craving exactly that, Melissa! avocado toast sounds SO good, especially sourdough. Bragg’s is always good – I have a sort of guacamole I make using Bragg’s.

exactly, Mary! I make a big batch of quinoa at the start of each week – so these bowls are really quick to put together most of the time… sometimes I warm it up, other times eat it cold – great both ways!

Av0cado with quinoa looks amazing. I need to try that! Especially with sriracha. YUM! I am avocado obsessed. I had it in my dinner tonight.

Mmm, after day 5 of the fast, we started adding avocado to the juice (juice into the blender with the avocado for a smoothie) to ensure we were getting some healthy fats. I haven’t made an avocado pudding for too long – one of the naturopathic docs used to have a cooking class for her patients at the clinic, and we often made that as dessert. always a hit! πŸ˜€

11. Thetreadmilldiaries says

I love avocados – whether it’s the simplicity of slices with salt, the perfect guacamole or dip, or added texture & flavor in a sandwich, chili or wrap. Love it all.

12. assistantdoc says

I love a piece of Ezekiel 4:9 bread toasted with a ripe avo smashed on top as the “butter” with a sprinkle of sea salt. OMG. Yes please. Well really I like ’em any way I can get ’em.

oh, YES. that has to be one of my favorites… sometimes sprinkled with sea salt, sometimes with nutritional yeast… Mmm.

13. charlesoclock says

Hi, I love your blog!
    the first thing off it I’ve made was the garlic lemon sauce. I’ve made it twice exactly as you said to in the recipe and it seems to have a different consistency than what is pictured. when i make it it’s grainy (not smooth) and firm like hummus (even if i add a little water). Do you think you could maybe update the recipe or do a 2.0 of it if you’ve changed the proportions of ingredients? or do i need to let the food processor run for longer or something simple like that?
    thanks!

hi Victoria! yes, I will remake it this week. as you may have noticed that was a while ago – I make this quite often but kinda throw things together… I will update it – you are the second person who has a “different” result – although the other was more about flavor. did you like the flavor? I have also received responses that it’s good, so hopefully it was good flavor for you?

I will update as soon as I can and will let you know – thank you SO much for your feedback, it is very much appreciated!

• charlesoclock says

To me the flavor is decent, maybe just a little bland but this is probably my fault. It’s good on avocado and salads etc but tasted alone I wouldn’t necessarily call it ‘crack sauce.’ The pictures of it on your blog look much better than how mine turned out, so I can’t wait for your recipe update. Thanks for replying! I think it’s really great how you try to reply to everyone and are so gracious :)

that’s really what blogging is about for me – the conversation, “meeting” like minded people, getting feedback! πŸ˜€

hi again, Victoria!

I made this again last week, and wrote notes as I added ingredients (I generally just add and taste, add and taste…). I have updated (I think the lemon juice must have been a typo – I love lemon but don’t think I’ve ever added that much. I am going to blame my newbie blogger status when I originally posted this – right after I began blogging over a year ago…

I do let the almonds process by themselves first, and I soak them now too, and this is something that I started doing over time, so I’m glad I revisited the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, sorry I linked to a non effective recipe – another thing I have learned is that I have come a long way in recipe development in the last year.

Thank you!

14. Kelly says

Thank you for this – we love avocados and it’s nice to see a bunch of new ideas – the sauce on the lettuce wrap looks great (and I love sanswich!!) :)

you are welcome, Kelly! glad you like them – if you make the wraps let me know how yours turn out (the way you described in your email sound VERY good!) πŸ˜€