avocado recipes

in appetizers, daily smoothie, Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Smoothie, snacks, Vegan

As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program, I recently received a large box of California Avocados. I know. I was excited.

I eat a lot of avocados, so to focus on them and come up with dishes to include them in was fun. You know, instead of standing at the kitchen sink with a knife, eating the avocado slice by slice.

We enjoyed avocado smoothies. Quick and easy Р Chocolate Sunwarrior, avocado, ice cold coconut water, blend. Yum.

I made my Thai sweet potato wrap into an avocado quinoa bowl. Cool avocado with the warm Thai spices Рa perfect pairing.

A sanswich with avocado sauce. I love these. Cool, refreshing summertime snack. Avocado sauce is versatile and tasty.

Then there is this sauce.

Another “recipe” or assembly I use avocado with is my standard quinoa bowl with the amazing garlic lemon sauce. <– eek, a very um… vintage post. The sauce is that good I had to share, and it’s good to see the change in my photography.

My bowl: quinoa, black beans, about 3/4 avocado, two chopped roma tomatoes, generous amount of garlic lemon sauce. I will never get tired of this – great flavors, filling, fast!

Jason’s bowl is the vegetarian version of mine, topped with Greek yogurt and cheddar. Generous pour of sriracha!

Big Thanks to the California Avocado Commission – these avocados were beautiful, and absolutely a great perk of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program.

Do you like avocados? What is your favorite way to enjoy them?

1 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses August 16, 2011 at 5:40 am

I love them. And I’m with you…they rarely make it past the slice, eat and repeat stage. Guacamole has my heart and sandwiches are always better with their added creaminess.

2 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

yep – I love a sandwich with avocado. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would chop up an avocado into cubes, put it on a plate with salt and pepper and eat it! so good, I just sometimes skip the plate. ;)

3 Tiffany August 16, 2011 at 6:35 am

Thanks for posting these! My friend has an avocado tree so she is always giving me bags of them and I have no clue what to do with them. Reminds me…..I need to see if she has some waiting for me!

4 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

LUCKY ! I want an avocado tree, or a friend with one!

5 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

I LOVE avocados too!!! ANother great way is to fill the little hole with agave and sprinkle with salt and pepper! I promise – sooooo good!: )

6 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I think you’ve said that before – sounds great to me! I’ll have to try it.

7 Caitlin August 16, 2011 at 7:17 am

wow- i am loving all of your avocado recipes! my favorite way to eat avocado is in a messaged kale salad ;)

8 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

that sounds great, Caitlin! I need something added to a kale salad, as much as I like kale, it’s not my favorite salad lettuce. adding avocado could change that for me! :D

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 16, 2011 at 7:23 am

I can’t stand them. Jason loves them and I really want to LOL. I just can’t get past the texture.

10 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:57 am

maybe try making the avocado sauce? such a great source of the good fat and so many vitamins.

I understand the texture thing, though. it doesn’t get to me, but I see Jason and his texture dislikes… when I made these quinoa bowls, he had some avocado!! I had it all chopped up (and figured I would eat it all!) and he added some to his bowl! :D

11 lynn @ the actor's diet August 16, 2011 at 8:11 am

oh you lucky lucky foodbuzz blogger! i wish i had been chosen for this one – LOVE avocados!

12 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:54 am

I was pretty excited when they showed up! :D

13 Lisa August 16, 2011 at 8:43 am

I have to go with guacamole as my favorite way to eat avocados! Yum. I could eat avocados every day in some form, but I try not to.

14 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

if you like them that much, why do you try not to? :D

15 Lisa August 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The calories are pretty high. Yes I know they are packed with nutrients and the fats in avocados are healthy fats, but I still look at avocados as a “treat” once in awhile.

16 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

All your food looks AMAZING and super nutrient- dense and colorful- just how me likes :) And can I just admit HOW jealous I am you got avocados sent to your for free? What a lucky chic you are :)
I’ll have to try your garlic lemon sauce. Grain, bean and veggie bowls are the best, especially with a yummy sauce :)

17 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm

hi Emilia! :D thank you for the compliment… I love delicious, nutritious food, and that usually means colorful, so that’s a pretty bonus!

let me know if you try the sauce – it’s a favorite around here. hope you’re having a GREAT Tuesday!

18 katie @KatieDid August 16, 2011 at 10:41 am

Love would be an understatement. I don’t feel complete if I don’t at least one avocado going in my fridge at all times. I top all my egg dishes, salads, and burgers with it. With a little salt and a spoon is also a preferred method of ingestion. I would have loved to get such a package!

19 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:51 am

ha – “at least one avocado going” – I love it. totally me – there’s a half in my fridge right now! :D

20 Kris @Krazy_Kris August 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE California Avocados (and my avocado farmers of course). We’re smack dab in avo-mecca here – don’t hate me – I know you’re jealous! But with crates shipped around, everyone can enjoy california avocados!
Thanks for the lovely – uber sneaky – nod – I just love my assembly and I think avocados can be assembled with everything and make me a gourmet – oooh la la!

21 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:48 am

I AM so jealous. hee – I think of you every time I “assemble” ! :D

22 zenlizzie August 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

OmG!! I’ve never been so jealous of blogger swag. I don’t buy avocados as much as I would like to because they are usually more expensive than I would like. This post makes me wish I lived on an avocado farm!!

23 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 11:47 am

I was SO excited to get these. Mmm, avocados for days. I know what you mean, avos are often spendy, but I figure I’m not buying other things that are more expensive, and LESS… good. ;) oh, an avocado farm would be bliss!

24 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

My fave way to enjoy them is in raw vegan chocolate mousse. Fools people every time!

But seriously, just plain is great. They are so versatile. And you scored big time! :)

25 lindsay August 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Yes I’m obsessed with avocados too! Although I think a lot of food bloggers are. I love them plain, in sandwiches and wraps, on salads, in smoothies, on top of rice and beans, even on oatmeal!! soo yumm. We have the Florida avocados everywhere here in FL, (duh!) they call them “Slimcados” because they have less fat but they make up for it in water content. They don’t make a very good guac (too watery) but they are pretty tasty otherwise. Although I’m still partial to the CA ones ;)

26 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

slimcados, huh? I can’t imagine a “watery” avo? do they taste the same? I know most are high calorie, but... it’s good stuff, right? :D

27 lindsay August 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

they kind of taste the same, but they have a milder taste. It’s kind of like comparing full fat yogurt to fat free yogurt. lol They just have a higher water content than the CA ones. Hey, maybe you could juice them!!! hehee But I love avocados no matter what. good fats! :)

28 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Very nice! Avocados are one of the things I’ve never been overly fond of (although I’ve known them for quite a while because liked to eat them with lemon juice and salt when I was small, but nowadays she doesn’t do that so often anymore – I should ask her what happened, or just remind her ;)), but I want to learn how to like them. I recently bought avocados but the first one I tried wasn’t ripe yet (you see: I’m not that experienced and still have to learn a lot!), and I didn’t like it. But I’ll try again with a ripe one. I got lots of inspiration what to do with them from your post!

29 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Mmm, yep – avocado and lemon juice – YUM. I have a half avo in the fridge right now… perhaps that will be my afternoon snack! :D

30 Melissa August 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm

My favorite is avocado mashed on sourdough toast with salt and pepper. But I also love to grill a whole portobello and top it with avocado mashed up with Bragg’s and pepper. Awesome over a bed of lettuce.

31 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Mmm, now you have me craving exactly that, Melissa! avocado toast sounds SO good, especially sourdough. Bragg’s is always good – I have a sort of guacamole I make using Bragg’s.

32 Mary @ Fervent Foodie August 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Mmm that quinoa bowl looks really really good. I bet that would be good heated up for lunches too… *mental note made*

33 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

exactly, Mary! I make a big batch of quinoa at the start of each week – so these bowls are really quick to put together most of the time… sometimes I warm it up, other times eat it cold – great both ways!

34 Amanda August 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Av0cado with quinoa looks amazing. I need to try that! Especially with sriracha. YUM! I am avocado obsessed. I had it in my dinner tonight.

35 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:34 am

yes, you need to do the avocado + quinoa + sriracha bowl – SO good! :)

36 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Mmm, Jason’s bowl looks fantastic! Although, your’s does as well. Can I have both? How lucky you were to receive those avocados!

37 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

I know – both bowls look great, right? :) one of my favorite things to eat… this is the perfect bowl.

38 Pure2raw Twins August 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm

do we like avocados? we LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
Favorite way to enjoy them lately is smoothie based. though I love making puddings with them too!

39 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

Mmm, after day 5 of the fast, we started adding avocado to the juice (juice into the blender with the avocado for a smoothie) to ensure we were getting some healthy fats. I haven’t made an avocado pudding for too long – one of the naturopathic docs used to have a cooking class for her patients at the clinic, and we often made that as dessert. always a hit! :D

40 Thetreadmilldiaries August 17, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love avocados – whether it’s the simplicity of slices with salt, the perfect guacamole or dip, or added texture & flavor in a sandwich, chili or wrap. Love it all.

41 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

yep – I love all of those ways too – especially simple slices with salt – yum!

42 Charissa August 17, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’m drooling over all of these photos…craving avocado…licking the screen…fantasizing over lunch now. Yup.

43 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 10:12 am

:D I know, I can’t wait to go back, especially after writing this post. Mmm.

44 hihorosie August 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm

lucky! I <3 avocados!

45 spabettie August 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

:D me too. this was my favorite perk lately!

46 assistantdoc August 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I love a piece of Ezekiel 4:9 bread toasted with a ripe avo smashed on top as the “butter” with a sprinkle of sea salt. OMG. Yes please. Well really I like ‘em any way I can get ‘em.

47 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm

oh, YES. that has to be one of my favorites… sometimes sprinkled with sea salt, sometimes with nutritional yeast… Mmm.

48 charlesoclock September 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hi, I love your blog!
the first thing off it I’ve made was the garlic lemon sauce. I’ve made it twice exactly as you said to in the recipe and it seems to have a different consistency than what is pictured. when i make it it’s grainy (not smooth) and firm like hummus (even if i add a little water). Do you think you could maybe update the recipe or do a 2.0 of it if you’ve changed the proportions of ingredients? or do i need to let the food processor run for longer or something simple like that?
thanks!

49 spabettie September 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm

hi Victoria! yes, I will remake it this week. as you may have noticed that was a while ago – I make this quite often but kinda throw things together… I will update it – you are the second person who has a “different” result – although the other was more about flavor. did you like the flavor? I have also received responses that it’s good, so hopefully it was good flavor for you?

I will update as soon as I can and will let you know – thank you SO much for your feedback, it is very much appreciated!

50 charlesoclock September 11, 2011 at 6:11 am

To me the flavor is decent, maybe just a little bland but this is probably my fault. It’s good on avocado and salads etc but tasted alone I wouldn’t necessarily call it ‘crack sauce.’ The pictures of it on your blog look much better than how mine turned out, so I can’t wait for your recipe update. Thanks for replying! I think it’s really great how you try to reply to everyone and are so gracious :)

51 spabettie September 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm

that’s really what blogging is about for me – the conversation, “meeting” like minded people, getting feedback! :D

52 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

hi again, Victoria!

I made this again last week, and wrote notes as I added ingredients (I generally just add and taste, add and taste…). I have updated (I think the lemon juice must have been a typo – I love lemon but don’t think I’ve ever added that much. I am going to blame my newbie blogger status when I originally posted this – right after I began blogging over a year ago…

I do let the almonds process by themselves first, and I soak them now too, and this is something that I started doing over time, so I’m glad I revisited the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, sorry I linked to a non effective recipe – another thing I have learned is that I have come a long way in recipe development in the last year.

Thank you!

53 Kelly September 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thank you for this – we love avocados and it’s nice to see a bunch of new ideas – the sauce on the lettuce wrap looks great (and I love sanswich!!) :)

54 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

you are welcome, Kelly! glad you like them – if you make the wraps let me know how yours turn out (the way you described in your email sound VERY good!) :D

55 naomi October 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm

all of these look good, drooling over here LOL I love avocados!!

56 Hannah K November 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I love avos, this is a great group of recipes, thanks!!

57 Inna In New York February 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm

LOVE avos, this all looks fresh and tasty, thank you!