garbanzo cookie balls

Remember my post-vacation shopping trip? The first thing I made was fresh juice. The second?

Christin’s chocolate chip cookie dough bean balls!

I have made two batches already. These are insanely good.

First, though, did you know how easy it is to peel a chickpea? Well, the canned ones anyway. Pour them into a strainer and rinse. As you are rinsing, pick one up and squeeze it with your fingers, the skin comes off and the pea flies back into the strainer with the others…

It’s actually kind of calming and meditative… until you get to a point where you think you have to be done. You keep picking them up and skins keep coming off. You start to think the entire pea is layers of skin and soon you will be left with a pile of pea skin, no peas. πŸ˜€

It really does make whatever you are making that much smoother. I don’t know if it matters with these cookie balls, but, like I said, meditative. Sometimes you have to take it where you can.

I came home from vacation to all kinds of goodies in the mail, including a package of new product from Enjoy Life. One thing I love and will be buyingΒ because we are eating them straight out of the bag, their new Mega Chunks. They are free of dairy, nuts and soy, but not flavor! Like all Enjoy life products, they are also gluten free and are really tasty.

I used these in place of the chocolate chips in the recipe. I made half batches of Christin’s recipe, modifying by using only:

peanut butter
brown rice flour
vanilla stevia
water instead of almond milk

These are so amazing – I love baking with beans. Thank you to Christin for inspiring me to finally try a cookie dough ball!

They are awesome right out of the oven, of course, when the chocolate is melty. They are also amazing after they’ve cooled, they are soft and almost taste like a doughnut.

Seriously, make these now. I cannot stress this enough. πŸ˜€

I’m making another batch tonight.

What is your favorite cookie? Have you ever baked with beans? Besides baked beans? ha!

*Disclaimer – while Enjoy Life sent me free product for review, I am never compensated for a positive review. My opinions are my own.

do it!! (maybe you already did??) πŸ˜€ seriously, they are so delicious and nutritious, you can eat them for breakfast!!

I have to make these! I said the same thing when I saw them on Christin’s blog. I’m going to look into finding those Enjoy Life mega chunks, too. Oh! And I ALWAYS peel my chickpeas. Once you see that big pile of seemingly waxy weirdness in your sink, it’s difficult to ever consider eating it!

YES you have to make these!! I am not one who would declare a food as “life changing” (that always gets to me a little…) but I have not been this adamant about something in a while!! πŸ˜€ they are SERIOUSLY amazing! I’m not even a big dessert person and I’ve made three (half) batches now! peeling chickpeas = SO FUN??

oh, no… is it just chickpeas? do other beans treat you okay, like a pinto or other white bean? her full recipe uses a can of each, and I halved the recipe so I just used chick. maybe another bean?

2nd post in 2 days using those chunks. A sign? LOL I’ve not yet baked with beans but actually have a few recipes. Just haven’t gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing the link to her blog. Heading over there now!

yes it’s a sign!! πŸ˜€ and honestly!! these should be the first bean recipe you try! they are really that awesome – I am not really a dessert person, I don’t have to have something sweet every day, and since we’ve been home from vacation I have made THREE (half) batches of these!! πŸ˜€

I’ve seen SO many garbanzo bean recipes lately (this one being the most amazing-looking πŸ˜‰ )

NEED TO STOCK UP! Haha :)

Enjoy your day!

these are SERIOUSLY so good – you need to try them! πŸ˜€ and thank you Meg, I hope your day is awesome too! X0

I saw these on Christin’s blog and thought they looked so good! And I really need to find those mega chunks too.

Favorite cookie — I love a good choc chip, PB or snickerdoodle cookie. And I have made brownies with black beans but that is about it!

Mmm, a good brownie is one of my favorites too. These are quickly heading to the top of the list, though. I bet you’d like these. They are sweet but not overly, you know? I just got these mega chunks from Enjoy Life, and I know they are a new product but hopefully they are easy to locate. Have a great Tuesday, Holly!

I have been reading all of these bean recipes and working on some recipe ideas…thanks for the further inspiration. :) And I know it sounds weird, but I’m sort of excited about ‘peeling’ chickpeas now…my typical form of alterna-meditation is chopping vegetables…so perhaps I’ve found a new Zen outlet?

YES – I like vegetable chopping too, so I can see this. the peeling of the peas – you must try! it’s fun if nothing else, but for me, it was a neat calm thing. can’t wait to see what bean recipe you come up with…

this is my first “ball” cookie wise… and I am so glad it was!! they are SO good, you need to try them!! NOW – go, do this. I will be here. πŸ˜‰

Yaaaaaaaaaay!! So happy you made them, K!! Those chocolate chunks look amazeballs, I’ve gotta get my hands on some. I really need to make another batch. I didn’t peel my chickpeas in this recipe but only because I’ve been so pressed for time… I’m a fan of doing that! I hope your week has kicked off to a great start! xo

these are so So SO good! I’ve now made THREE batches! πŸ˜€ I don’t know if it makes a big difference to pea-peel for these, but I do it because it’s fun! seriously, I cannot get over how GOOOOOOD these are! just sweet enough, and I feel like I can eat them with breakfast!! πŸ˜€

hope you are having a FABULOUS Tuesday, my friend!! XO !

Ok these look soooo good!

I have been really resistant, i.e. 100%, to adding beans to dessert. Like, why? Why “ruin” a good recipe with chocolate, sugar, and then add…beans to it?! I know, awful logic on my part.

But you have convinced me (and CCK, and Evan, and Christin, and Heabs) that all of you just cannot be wrong and I must get over myself and try this!

They look awesome!!

you REALLY should try these, Averie!! πŸ˜€ I’ve resisted the whole dough ball phenomenon until now, and I was VERY happy that I finally made them… you just might be (OH SO PLEASANTLY) surprised!

you two have the best recipes, amazing! so clever. I will be making these for sure, maybe a banana chip and cinnamon version. hmmmm..

I almost added cinnamon chips!! I kept half without chocolate so they were peanut buttery (YUM!) and was going to do the cinnamon… I bet they’ll be GOOOOD!

Erin, it really doesn’t take TOO long to peel them, and it’s kinda fun! next time you open a can (rinse them first, ew!) just pinch one between your thumb and pointer finger – it goes flying out of the peel! πŸ˜€ and then? make these cookies!!

oh my… you are in my reader, did you post this amazing sounding cake?? how did I miss it? :) going to search now… and yes, I completely agree, when making something chocolate, use good chocolate… YOU know your chocolate – what are your favorites? (I currently have some Callebaut I cannot wait to play with, and in the past I’ve used Scharffen Berger a lot… but I know I could LEARN from you!) πŸ˜€

I LOVE Cluizel, and I will now be looking for the other two – thank you!! Glad to know you feel that way about Scharffen Berger – I’ve been using it for years :)

OMG these look awesome + easy! Bookmarked to try very soon (out of peanut butter at the moment). Thanks also for the tip on peeling chickpeas – I bet that would result in a much creamier hummus! :)

I once peeled a big bowls of almonds per hand, to use them for white almond butter … It was a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. (Thank God I had a movie to go with it!) From then on, I’ve always bought skinless almonds. πŸ˜‰ Your garbanzo balls look like being worth the fun, though. :)

ah – I remember seeing that post! the result had to be worth the work, though – I remember it looked beautiful! :) *wave wave* and a *wag wag wag* from us to you – hope all is well? getting better? thinking of you!

• says

Aww, thank you! One of my fabulous neighbors has borrowed me a mini notebook (which is incredibly *small*, but I have internet connection again now). πŸ˜€

When I wave with my arms *and* wag with my toes
        I’ll end up falling on my nose …

Totally random. πŸ˜‰ And I’m not at all a good poet. πŸ˜€

it’s FUN!! :) it doesn’t take TOO long… and these are MOST DEFINITELY worth it!! <– see? I’m yelling that’s how good these are! πŸ˜€

11. Ashley says

How did you get items sent to you for review from Best Life? Sounds like something I’d like to be a part of. =) I’m in a location that has very limited resources when it comes to vegetarian living.

Hi Ashley,

Companies send me their products to review on my blog. I generally only accept product from companies I know and already use.

Thank you for reading!

Kristina (spabettie)

Yesssssss! I made chickpea cookies a while back and they were SO good. Cakey and nutty and delicious. These look amazing!

if you have another flour it would probably work as well, since it’s such a small amount… brown rice is my favorite right now though – it seems to be one of the only flours I use lately! πŸ˜€ I hope you like them!

13. christine says

:) I chuckle every time I say Spabettie as when a young child I would say sgabetti for spaghetti πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the memories Spabettie! :)

haa, Christine… you are not the first to say spabettie = spaghetti !! :) it’s pretty funny how many are reminded of childhood and saying it like that! πŸ˜€

I hope you make these and LOVE them, Roz!! let me know! πŸ˜€ and thank you – Happy Wednesday to you also!

OK, Kristina, help me here. I didn’t get on board with the Socca craze, and this has me nervous, too: when I used to bake with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free AP flour, I found it tasted a touch… sprouty. And that that was the garbanzo flour. Is there anything sprouty in these? Or am I just part nuts? (I’m leaning towards column B here…)

hmm… sprouty. I honestly don’t taste that in any of those things, or maybe I just like that flavor? I do like the more… organic flavors! πŸ˜€ but if you want to try these, a pinto or white bean would work just as well? you’re not a nut! πŸ˜€

Oh, honey, you know I will be making these cookie balls! I love anything with chickpeas, so what fun to put them in cookies. :-) I had no idea about peeling chickpeas though. Truly fascinating. Can’t try these now as I’m headed to work, but will have to try them later … even if I have strict rules on baking when it’s 90 degrees. Time to try out the toaster oven I got for this very purpose; i.e., absolutely necessary baking when it’s too hot. πŸ˜‰

oh, good, Shirley! I hope you make them soon (if you haven’t already??) they are SO tasty! peeling the ‘peas makes for a very smooth result – for hummus and things – don’t know if it matters much for cookies! :) let me know how you like them! XO

mmm, yummers! They look divine! I peel chickpeas too…

I haven’t baked with beans (except baked beans – those don’t count here :)) yet but recently tried a chocolate brownie made with black beans. It was okay. It looked better than it tasted. It wasn’t bad, just not as tasty as expected. I was sad. However, I am very willing to try these because they just look too good! Thanks for sharing. Those chocolate chunks look purty tasty too!

the mega chunks ARE good!! I will definitely buy them again for chocolate chip use. you should try these – they are SO good! (I do love the black bean brownie, though… )

Gina, do you have a blender? you might be able to puree the beans in it, then mix everything in a bowl? they are so good, and yes, I think I’ve been taking advantage of how healthy they are to justify having one with breakfast… πŸ˜‰

These look awesome, will be making them soon!

PS – I removed the skins to make my hummus today… WOW! It’s so much creamier! Thanks so much for the tip!!

oh, good, I know you will like them – SO good! and YAY – peeling the ‘peas makes such a difference in hummus!

So glad to see I’m not the only one that is addicted! I made these on Friday and finished them off by Monday…all by myself! Oops! haha!

Favorite cookie: almond shortbread! I’m convince that when you add almond extract to anything, it immediately jumps 10 points in the taste category!

19. Joy says

Could you not just make these with garbanzo flour to save peeling the chickpeas? Or would it taste different do you think?

you could, definitely… the taste should be somewhat similar? I wouldn’t know how much to use without playing with it, though.

for cookies, you could probably get away with not peeling – since they are baked and sorta crunchy, peeling might not matter if you don’t want to! :)

Wowww do those look amazing!!! I love dessert hummus so I’m sure I would love those too.

PS I’m so far behind on blog reading and I’m bummed that I missed all of your amazing giveaways!!! I’ve always wanted a Clarisonic and I’m so intrigued by the idea of the pain drops. You should do a post with more info!

Wow, those look amazingly good! I gotta say I am scared of making cookies with beans – I tried an awful black bean brownie recipe once and it’s scarred me forever :( I’m so tempted to try these though!

22. Sam says

I made these last night- very delicious! My mom and I were looking for a guilt-free dessert, and this is a perfect solution. We used a little more peanut butter and loved the outcome. Think of the gooey, uncooked middle of a peanut butter cookie in the shape of a little, warm ball infused with melty chocolate. Yum!

I’m SO glad you made them! you are SO right – it IS a perfect guilt free dessert (I’ve been known to eat one or two in the morning before going to the gym!) :) the recipe I have been making these days has a bit more peanut butter as well… so delicious! Cheers, Sam, thanks for saying hello!

These cookies look amazing! I really want to try them! Where is the recipe and what is the difference between using garbanzo beans or chickpeas or the other kind that are mentioned?

Hi Kalina! there’s not much of a difference in taste between the garbanzo / chickpeas and a white bean – I have made them with each, the flavor is similar. Any other bean I’m not sure, the taste may be different but the consistency is probably similar. I just posted another version yesterday, if you look here –> mint + chocolate you can find the amounts of each ingredient, and you can just leave out the mint for the basic recipe! Let me know how you like them, or if you have any other questions!

24. Pete says

very creative idea for a cookie! I was served a “bean cookie” on vacation recently, we’ve been calling them falafal cookies. I’m going to have to make these, thanks!

25. Julia and Brian says

these are SO good – my boyfriend found them here, sent me the page and asked me to make them. this will be a go to cookie in our house too!!

any kind of sugar would work in place of the stevia – and if you are wanting to go natural, something like a maple syrup. start with a 1/4 cup and taste for sweetness.

26. Gia says

my new favorite cookie treat!! I made these today and LOVE THEM. I can’t wait to try your chia chai ones and the mint!!

• says

So I did try them!!

But I think I added a bit too much nut butter ( I was at the end of the jar so I put it all in!) and so the dough was a bit too squishy to handle and so I had to do the two spoon “drop cookie” method. So they came out a bit too big I think. But they taste GREAT! Will try again but will be more careful! Promise!

ha – I’m sure they were fine, just a little messier to handle (I’ve done that before too… I usually don’t measure anymore, I just eyeball the consistency…) :) so happy you liked them!

• says

So I tried them again and then came out MUCH better!! But I did something a little cheeky and also added some chopped dates! Added and extra little zing!

Thanks again.

oh good – glad they worked better the second time around (I have forgotten to do the beans alone AGAIN, since our initial conversation about this!!). sheesh.

and there you go!! this was how my obsession started too – in fact, literally – I believe my first adaptation was adding dates!! πŸ˜€

27. Barb says

these are INCREDIBLE!! I love a super short ingredient list like you, and wow, I could snack on these all day!!! making your apricot rosemary ones today, thankyou bettie!!

28. Jilly from Philly says

made these again today, for a work function. we had employees from India visiting and they loved them too!

oh, wow – so glad you are still liking them, Jilly! funny you say that – Jason has coworkers in India, and for their last big week long meeting I made several flavors of these for him to share… they all loved them and he reported they were GONE before noon! πŸ˜€

29. Gloria says

this is my new favorite snack!! I even used the dairyfree chips which are great by the way!! thank you for sharing such a tasty dessert!!

30. Pima says

I love these! I made your mint flavored, and they are SOOOO good!! next I’m trying the apricot rosemary ones, yum! thank you, love your websight!

31. Monica says

I. cant. stop. eating. these!! so so yummo, thank you! the fresh mint ones are half this batch I’m currently snackin’ on, and next up (tomorrow) chia chai!! :)

aw, YAY! πŸ˜€ these things are so crazy popular, Christin! I don’t check my analytics every day, but when I do, I always see people going to your original post! I have always loved chickpeas and am so happy I made that recipe!

• says

I am so bummed right now… my trackbacks/pingbacks AND incoming links are all not showing on my blog… and truthfully I don’t think they have since I switched to self-hosted… so anyone who has linked to these that I don’t follow personally, I have no idea. My web guy is supposed to be helping me, but he’s super busy right now and I can’t necessarily afford his rates right now anyway, and everything I’ve read on Google that makes sense to me I’ve tried and hasn’t worked, and then it gets all techy-speak and I get lost. Ugh. Now that I’m back into blogging again and developing new relationships with other bloggers, it’s really bothering me that I can’t see these stats, mainly so I can reach out and say hello! Gah… it’ll all work out, I’m sure.

32. Gregory G says

I may have to ask permission of you, I want to serve the tomato basil version in my restaurant. are you visiting soon?

oh my STARS what a complete and absolute HONOR. let’s talk!

and yes… I can’t wait to try the new menu… I will be there soon!

33. Brian says

my favorite cookie and website creator was the topic of conversation this weekend, I made these for our practice and they were gone before I set the box down LOL. I hope you see some of us visiting and commenting, I gave them your url πŸ˜€

34. Joey says

Not being a mind reader, but can you please LIST the amounts needed to make these chocolate (fake) chip chick pea cookies? How do you smash up the chick peas? Thanks.

we made this version, your mint leaf version, the apricot version AND the chai version this week. big wedding coming up, along with cakes we are having a cookie table. spabetty is represented in a big way, thanks!!

wow, I am honored to be a part of the dessert table, thank you! I hope this weekend is wonderful!