garbanzo cookie balls

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, Vegan

Remember my post-vacation shopping trip? The first thing I made was fresh juice. The second?

Christin’s chocolate chip cookie dough bean balls!

I have made two batches already. These are insanely good.

First, though, did you know how easy it is to peel a chickpea? Well, the canned ones anyway. Pour them into a strainer and rinse. As you are rinsing, pick one up and squeeze it with your fingers, the skin comes off and the pea flies back into the strainer with the others…

It’s actually kind of calming and meditative… until you get to a point where you think you have to be done. You keep picking them up and skins keep coming off. You start to think the entire pea is layers of skin and soon you will be left with a pile of pea skin, no peas. :D

It really does make whatever you are making that much smoother. I don’t know if it matters with these cookie balls, but, like I said, meditative. Sometimes you have to take it where you can.

I came home from vacation to all kinds of goodies in the mail, including a package of new product from Enjoy Life. One thing I love and will be buying because we are eating them straight out of the bag, their new Mega Chunks. They are free of dairy, nuts and soy, but not flavor! Like all Enjoy life products, they are also gluten free and are really tasty.

I used these in place of the chocolate chips in the recipe. I made half batches of Christin’s recipe, modifying by using only:

chickpeas
peanut butter
brown rice flour
vanilla stevia
water instead of almond milk

These are so amazing – I love baking with beans. Thank you to Christin for inspiring me to finally try a cookie dough ball!

They are awesome right out of the oven, of course, when the chocolate is melty. They are also amazing after they’ve cooled, they are soft and almost taste like a doughnut.

Seriously, make these now. I cannot stress this enough. :D

I’m making another batch tonight.

What is your favorite cookie? Have you ever baked with beans? Besides baked beans? ha!

*Disclaimer – while Enjoy Life sent me free product for review, I am never compensated for a positive review. My opinions are my own.

1 Natalie @ will jog for food May 24, 2011 at 5:25 am

Those look great! I might have time to make them this morning while I wait for the water guys to come :)

2 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:33 am

do it!! (maybe you already did??) :D seriously, they are so delicious and nutritious, you can eat them for breakfast!!

3 Dorry May 24, 2011 at 5:52 am

I have to make these! I said the same thing when I saw them on Christin’s blog. I’m going to look into finding those Enjoy Life mega chunks, too. Oh! And I ALWAYS peel my chickpeas. Once you see that big pile of seemingly waxy weirdness in your sink, it’s difficult to ever consider eating it!

4 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:29 am

YES you have to make these!! I am not one who would declare a food as “life changing” (that always gets to me a little…) but I have not been this adamant about something in a while!! :D they are SERIOUSLY amazing! I’m not even a big dessert person and I’ve made three (half) batches now! peeling chickpeas = SO FUN??

5 jenna May 24, 2011 at 5:53 am

yum these look so yummy!! my body and chickpeas don’t get along…but these look so gosh darn good!! :)

6 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:27 am

oh, no… is it just chickpeas? do other beans treat you okay, like a pinto or other white bean? her full recipe uses a can of each, and I halved the recipe so I just used chick. maybe another bean?

7 jenna May 24, 2011 at 5:54 am

p.s. are these mega chunks sold at whole foods? they look amazing!

8 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:25 am

Enjoy Life just sent me these, I haven’t yet looked for them… but I will be soon, and I imagine they will be at whole foods?? :)

9 Alina June 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

Jenna, the Mega Chunks are beginning to ship out to stores now, so your nearest Whole Foods should have them soon. If you like, you can buy them from Gluten Free Mall right now! Here’s a link: http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/enjoy-life-foods-semisweet-mega-glutenfree-chocolate-chunks-p-2157.html
Enjoy!

– Alina
Marketing Associate
Enjoy Life Foods

10 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 24, 2011 at 5:58 am

2nd post in 2 days using those chunks. A sign? LOL I’ve not yet baked with beans but actually have a few recipes. Just haven’t gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing the link to her blog. Heading over there now!

11 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

yes it’s a sign!! :D and honestly!! these should be the first bean recipe you try! they are really that awesome – I am not really a dessert person, I don’t have to have something sweet every day, and since we’ve been home from vacation I have made THREE (half) batches of these!! :D

12 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Maybe I need to make these to take on vacation. I have everything but the vanilla bean paste. Well, and chocolate chips.

13 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm

indeed – great Road Food! you’d love them – protein and a great filling snack!

14 Meg May 24, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’ve seen SO many garbanzo bean recipes lately (this one being the most amazing-looking ;) )

NEED TO STOCK UP! Haha :)

Enjoy your day!

15 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:22 am

these are SERIOUSLY so good – you need to try them! :D and thank you Meg, I hope your day is awesome too! X0

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 24, 2011 at 6:18 am

I saw these on Christin’s blog and thought they looked so good! And I really need to find those mega chunks too.

Favorite cookie — I love a good choc chip, PB or snickerdoodle cookie. And I have made brownies with black beans but that is about it!

17 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

Mmm, a good brownie is one of my favorites too. These are quickly heading to the top of the list, though. I bet you’d like these. They are sweet but not overly, you know? I just got these mega chunks from Enjoy Life, and I know they are a new product but hopefully they are easy to locate. Have a great Tuesday, Holly!

18 christina May 24, 2011 at 6:25 am

these are heavenly!

19 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:45 am

so So SO good!!

20 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 24, 2011 at 6:30 am

I have been reading all of these bean recipes and working on some recipe ideas…thanks for the further inspiration. :) And I know it sounds weird, but I’m sort of excited about ‘peeling’ chickpeas now…my typical form of alterna-meditation is chopping vegetables…so perhaps I’ve found a new Zen outlet?

21 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:44 am

YES – I like vegetable chopping too, so I can see this. the peeling of the peas – you must try! it’s fun if nothing else, but for me, it was a neat calm thing. can’t wait to see what bean recipe you come up with…

22 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka May 24, 2011 at 6:35 am

I’ve never baked with beans but I like balls so I’d be willing to give it a go.

23 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 6:43 am

this is my first “ball” cookie wise… and I am so glad it was!! they are SO good, you need to try them!! NOW – go, do this. I will be here. ;)

24 Christin@purplebirdblog May 24, 2011 at 7:15 am

Yaaaaaaaaaay!! So happy you made them, K!! Those chocolate chunks look amazeballs, I’ve gotta get my hands on some. I really need to make another batch. I didn’t peel my chickpeas in this recipe but only because I’ve been so pressed for time… I’m a fan of doing that! I hope your week has kicked off to a great start! xo

25 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 7:39 am

these are so So SO good! I’ve now made THREE batches! :D I don’t know if it makes a big difference to pea-peel for these, but I do it because it’s fun! seriously, I cannot get over how GOOOOOOD these are! just sweet enough, and I feel like I can eat them with breakfast!! :D

hope you are having a FABULOUS Tuesday, my friend!! XO !

26 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

Ok these look soooo good!

I have been really resistant, i.e. 100%, to adding beans to dessert. Like, why? Why “ruin” a good recipe with chocolate, sugar, and then add…beans to it?! I know, awful logic on my part.

But you have convinced me (and CCK, and Evan, and Christin, and Heabs) that all of you just cannot be wrong and I must get over myself and try this!

They look awesome!!

27 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 7:29 am

you REALLY should try these, Averie!! :D I’ve resisted the whole dough ball phenomenon until now, and I was VERY happy that I finally made them… you just might be (OH SO PLEASANTLY) surprised!

28 lindsay May 24, 2011 at 8:34 am

you two have the best recipes, amazing! so clever. I will be making these for sure, maybe a banana chip and cinnamon version. hmmmm..

29 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I almost added cinnamon chips!! I kept half without chocolate so they were peanut buttery (YUM!) and was going to do the cinnamon… I bet they’ll be GOOOOD!

30 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

I saw these too and HAVE to make them! I just got some chocolate that I can use and they are definitely on the top of my list to make. Is there anything a chickpea can’t do?

31 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm

NOPE! I am convinced chickpeas can do it all. maybe they are life changing… :)

32 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt May 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

What a cool idea! I’ve attempted to peel chickpeas before and wussed out at the last minute. I think its called “laziness”. This recipe might be worth the effort though!

33 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Erin, it really doesn’t take TOO long to peel them, and it’s kinda fun! next time you open a can (rinse them first, ew!) just pinch one between your thumb and pointer finger – it goes flying out of the peel! :D and then? make these cookies!!

34 Aimee May 24, 2011 at 10:38 am

Well well… another new thing to try in my kitchen! Who would have thought that beans could make cookies?! Awesome!

35 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Christin would think it, of course!! :) they are SO good – you should definitely make them!

36 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses May 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

YUM! Are they tasty enough to trick the kids?? ;)

37 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm

they DEFINITELY are!! no beany taste, they’ll LOVE them!

38 janetha @ meals & moves May 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Those look great! Christin always has great recipes. I peel my garbz when I have patience.. it makes for SUCH creamy hummus!

39 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I know – Christin is awesomely creative!! especially with her hummus and beans! :)

40 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I don’t remember if I commented this morning, but these look AMAZING! Adding to my list for sure. Those chocolate chips look amazing too!!

Thanks for the tip, I’m going to try these for sure!

41 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

you definitely should – they are SO delicious!!

42 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I made a chickpea chocolate cake that was delicious, gluten free, and high protein. Win all around! (but you *must* use high quality chocolate. not optional)

43 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

oh my… you are in my reader, did you post this amazing sounding cake?? how did I miss it? :) going to search now… and yes, I completely agree, when making something chocolate, use good chocolate… YOU know your chocolate – what are your favorites? (I currently have some Callebaut I cannot wait to play with, and in the past I’ve used Scharffen Berger a lot… but I know I could LEARN from you!) :D

44 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Callebaut has good white chocolate, I think Scharffen Berger is the best value for unsweetened, bittersweet, and cocoa powder for baking.

Now if we’re talking about eating straight…Cluizel, Pralus, or Amedei…

45 spabettie June 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I LOVE Cluizel, and I will now be looking for the other two – thank you!! Glad to know you feel that way about Scharffen Berger – I’ve been using it for years :)

46 Angela May 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

OMG these look awesome + easy! Bookmarked to try very soon (out of peanut butter at the moment). Thanks also for the tip on peeling chickpeas – I bet that would result in a much creamier hummus! :)

47 Angela @ Vegangela.com July 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm

PS. I love this tip and use it all the time now. I also mentioned it in my latest post (hummus recipe – http://www.vegangela.com/2011/07/24/basic-hummus/). Thanks so much!!

48 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I’m so glad you love the SMOOTH! thanks for shout out, I love peeling peas! :D

49 Angela @ Vegangela.com August 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I just made these but I think I was too liberal with the almond milk as they were too sticky/gooey to form into balls. So I made more of a “drop” style cookie but they are still amazing! I will remake them soon and totally post them on my blog and reference you + Christin. Not that I need another excuse to eat chickpeas… or chocolate. Haha!

50 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

aren’t they DELICIOUS? :D as I continue to make them (like these –> mint ) I use little to no liquid at all, maybe just a little water if it needs to come together. I’m glad you made them and LOVE them!

51 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I once peeled a big bowls of almonds per hand, to use them for white almond butter … It was a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. (Thank God I had a movie to go with it!) From then on, I’ve always bought skinless almonds. ;) Your garbanzo balls look like being worth the fun, though. :)

52 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

ah – I remember seeing that post! the result had to be worth the work, though – I remember it looked beautiful! :) *wave wave* and a *wag wag wag* from us to you – hope all is well? getting better? thinking of you!

53 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Aww, thank you! One of my fabulous neighbors has borrowed me a mini notebook (which is incredibly *small*, but I have internet connection again now). :D

When I wave with my arms *and* wag with my toes
I’ll end up falling on my nose …

Totally random. ;) And I’m not at all a good poet. :D

54 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 24, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Wait — it’s “lend”, isn’t it? I mean, I borrow something, but you lend me something, no? (I always mix these up because there’s only one word for both in German.)

55 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

hee – it is lend, but I like your version better. I like how it sounds! glad you have some internet time now!

56 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

hee – GREAT rhyme! now, can you find a SMILEY for that???

57 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Mmmmm you have convinced me to jump on the chickpea sweet treat bandwagon! I just have to prepare myself to remove the skins from the chickpeas–not sure if I have the patience for that….

58 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm

it’s FUN!! :) it doesn’t take TOO long… and these are MOST DEFINITELY worth it!! <– see? I’m yelling that’s how good these are! :D

59 Ashley May 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm

How did you get items sent to you for review from Best Life? Sounds like something I’d like to be a part of. =) I’m in a location that has very limited resources when it comes to vegetarian living.

60 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hi Ashley,

Companies send me their products to review on my blog. I generally only accept product from companies I know and already use.

Thank you for reading!

Kristina (spabettie)

61 Beth May 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Yesssssss! I made chickpea cookies a while back and they were SO good. Cakey and nutty and delicious. These look amazing!

62 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I just hunted them down on your blog – YUM, yours sound great too! magic beans, indeed! :)

63 Miri Leigh May 24, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Great idea! And they look delicious!

64 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm

they are SO good! :)

65 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit May 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I won’t make them tonight- no brown rice flour- but I definitely will try these very soon! They look so good! :)

66 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm

if you have another flour it would probably work as well, since it’s such a small amount… brown rice is my favorite right now though – it seems to be one of the only flours I use lately! :D I hope you like them!

67 christine May 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Whoooo hoooo! These are on my list to make!! Just cooked up some chickpeas today!

68 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m so glad you’re making them – let me know how you like them!

69 christine May 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

:) I chuckle every time I say Spabettie as when a young child I would say sgabetti for spaghetti ;) Thanks for the memories Spabettie! :)

70 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

haa, Christine… you are not the first to say spabettie = spaghetti !! :) it’s pretty funny how many are reminded of childhood and saying it like that! :D

71 Roz May 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm

OMG….yum. I’ll soooo be trying these soon. Hope your Wednesday is going well!!!

72 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I hope you make these and LOVE them, Roz!! let me know! :D and thank you – Happy Wednesday to you also!

73 Kris @Krazy_Kris May 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh.
MY.
GAWWWWWWWWD.
Seriously? Cookies with protein and chocolate and no crappy flour?

EEEEEEEEK! I will buy the supplies El-Pronto – WOOOOT!

74 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

EXACTLY why I love them so much!! seriously? I had a couple with breakfast the other day!

75 S @ extremebalance.net/blog May 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm

OK, Kristina, help me here. I didn’t get on board with the Socca craze, and this has me nervous, too: when I used to bake with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free AP flour, I found it tasted a touch… sprouty. And that that was the garbanzo flour. Is there anything sprouty in these? Or am I just part nuts? (I’m leaning towards column B here…)

76 spabettie May 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

hmm… sprouty. I honestly don’t taste that in any of those things, or maybe I just like that flavor? I do like the more… organic flavors! :D but if you want to try these, a pinto or white bean would work just as well? you’re not a nut! :D

77 Shirley @ gfe May 25, 2011 at 3:38 am

Oh, honey, you know I will be making these cookie balls! I love anything with chickpeas, so what fun to put them in cookies. :-) I had no idea about peeling chickpeas though. Truly fascinating. Can’t try these now as I’m headed to work, but will have to try them later … even if I have strict rules on baking when it’s 90 degrees. Time to try out the toaster oven I got for this very purpose; i.e., absolutely necessary baking when it’s too hot. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

78 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm

oh, good, Shirley! I hope you make them soon (if you haven’t already??) they are SO tasty! peeling the ‘peas makes for a very smooth result – for hummus and things – don’t know if it matters much for cookies! :) let me know how you like them! XO

79 hihorosie May 25, 2011 at 8:21 am

mmm, yummers! They look divine! I peel chickpeas too…

I haven’t baked with beans (except baked beans – those don’t count here :)) yet but recently tried a chocolate brownie made with black beans. It was okay. It looked better than it tasted. It wasn’t bad, just not as tasty as expected. I was sad. However, I am very willing to try these because they just look too good! Thanks for sharing. Those chocolate chunks look purty tasty too!

80 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I melt chocolate chips for a frosting on my black bean brownies, maybe that’s why I like them so much… ;)

81 hihorosie May 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Oh see now, mine didn’t have frosting. Maybe that’s why I didn’t like them as much… ;)

82 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 11:47 pm

uh huh… try it. did you see that was my first post EVER?? –> Beanie Brownie :D

83 Alisa Fleming May 25, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m not big on the black bean baked goodie – sorry guys! – but garbanzos I could do. Love that you used those MegaChunks! Those are soooo good.

84 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm

the mega chunks ARE good!! I will definitely buy them again for chocolate chip use. you should try these – they are SO good! (I do love the black bean brownie, though… )

85 Gina May 25, 2011 at 8:54 am

If I had a food processor, I’d make these in a heartbeat! I’m loving how healthy they are!!

86 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Gina, do you have a blender? you might be able to puree the beans in it, then mix everything in a bowl? they are so good, and yes, I think I’ve been taking advantage of how healthy they are to justify having one with breakfast… ;)

87 Gina May 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Great tip!! Thanks :)

88 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I hope you make them – they are so good! (and let me know if you do – I’d love to know how it works!) :)

89 Angela May 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm

These look awesome, will be making them soon!

PS – I removed the skins to make my hummus today… WOW! It’s so much creamier! Thanks so much for the tip!!

90 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 9:02 pm

oh, good, I know you will like them – SO good! and YAY – peeling the ‘peas makes such a difference in hummus!

91 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm

So glad to see I’m not the only one that is addicted! I made these on Friday and finished them off by Monday…all by myself! Oops! haha!

Favorite cookie: almond shortbread! I’m convince that when you add almond extract to anything, it immediately jumps 10 points in the taste category!

92 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm

girl, did you see I’m on my THIRD batch?? ;) I’m making a new one tomorrow…

93 Joy May 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Could you not just make these with garbanzo flour to save peeling the chickpeas? Or would it taste different do you think?

94 spabettie May 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

you could, definitely… the taste should be somewhat similar? I wouldn’t know how much to use without playing with it, though.

for cookies, you could probably get away with not peeling – since they are baked and sorta crunchy, peeling might not matter if you don’t want to! :)

95 Yum Yucky May 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

Can you please install a “WANT” button on this post. Because I WANTS it! haha. Damn, that looks good.

96 MarathonVal May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Wowww do those look amazing!!! I love dessert hummus so I’m sure I would love those too.

PS I’m so far behind on blog reading and I’m bummed that I missed all of your amazing giveaways!!! I’ve always wanted a Clarisonic and I’m so intrigued by the idea of the pain drops. You should do a post with more info!

97 Joanna goes vegan May 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

I really, really like the recipe and your cookie balls that look amazing

98 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow, those look amazingly good! I gotta say I am scared of making cookies with beans – I tried an awful black bean brownie recipe once and it’s scarred me forever :( I’m so tempted to try these though!

99 Relationship Lover June 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

What? I’ve got to try these! I know that I like carob chips so I’m assuming chick pea cookie dough may delight my taste buds too! Exciting.

100 spabettie June 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I hope you do try them – they are SO delicious! :) Cheers!

101 JD June 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

These sound amazing!!!! Do you have the nutrition facts by chance?

102 Sam June 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I made these last night- very delicious! My mom and I were looking for a guilt-free dessert, and this is a perfect solution. We used a little more peanut butter and loved the outcome. Think of the gooey, uncooked middle of a peanut butter cookie in the shape of a little, warm ball infused with melty chocolate. Yum!

103 spabettie June 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’m SO glad you made them! you are SO right – it IS a perfect guilt free dessert (I’ve been known to eat one or two in the morning before going to the gym!) :) the recipe I have been making these days has a bit more peanut butter as well… so delicious! Cheers, Sam, thanks for saying hello!

104 Holley @ Lunges and Lashes June 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

this is the best idea! i love it so much! i can’t wait to try it!

105 Alina June 16, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thanks guys! We’re really happy you like the new Mega Chunks. They should start appearing in your local stores very soon, but if you don’t want to wait, or just want the convenience of shopping online, they’re available at Gluten Free Mall right now! http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/enjoy-life-foods-semisweet-mega-glutenfree-chocolate-chunks-p-2157.html

– Alina
Marketing Associate
Enjoy Life Foods

106 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm

thank you, Alina!

107 Kalina June 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

These cookies look amazing! I really want to try them! Where is the recipe and what is the difference between using garbanzo beans or chickpeas or the other kind that are mentioned?

108 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hi Kalina! there’s not much of a difference in taste between the garbanzo / chickpeas and a white bean – I have made them with each, the flavor is similar. Any other bean I’m not sure, the taste may be different but the consistency is probably similar. I just posted another version yesterday, if you look here –> mint + chocolate you can find the amounts of each ingredient, and you can just leave out the mint for the basic recipe! Let me know how you like them, or if you have any other questions!

109 Pete September 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

very creative idea for a cookie! I was served a “bean cookie” on vacation recently, we’ve been calling them falafal cookies. I’m going to have to make these, thanks!

110 Julia and Brian September 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm

these are SO good – my boyfriend found them here, sent me the page and asked me to make them. this will be a go to cookie in our house too!!

111 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm

glad to hear it – thanks for coming by to let me know – cheers!

112 S October 3, 2011 at 7:26 am

These look so good! Is there a substitute for vanilla stevia?

113 spabettie October 3, 2011 at 8:37 am

any kind of sugar would work in place of the stevia – and if you are wanting to go natural, something like a maple syrup. start with a 1/4 cup and taste for sweetness.

114 Gia October 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

my new favorite cookie treat!! I made these today and LOVE THEM. I can’t wait to try your chia chai ones and the mint!!

115 spabettie October 11, 2011 at 5:46 am

yay – so happy you like them, Gia!

116 Lorrieb October 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Well when you put it that way……I WILL I WILL make these right now!

117 spabettie October 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

:D I hope you do – they really are SO good!

118 Lorrieb October 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

So I did try them!!

But I think I added a bit too much nut butter ( I was at the end of the jar so I put it all in!) and so the dough was a bit too squishy to handle and so I had to do the two spoon “drop cookie” method. So they came out a bit too big I think. But they taste GREAT! Will try again but will be more careful! Promise!

119 spabettie October 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

ha – I’m sure they were fine, just a little messier to handle (I’ve done that before too… I usually don’t measure anymore, I just eyeball the consistency…) :) so happy you liked them!

120 Lorrieb October 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm

So I tried them again and then came out MUCH better!! But I did something a little cheeky and also added some chopped dates! Added and extra little zing!

Thanks again.

121 Barb October 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

these are INCREDIBLE!! I love a super short ingredient list like you, and wow, I could snack on these all day!!! making your apricot rosemary ones today, thankyou bettie!!

122 spabettie October 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

you are so welcome, Barb!

123 Jilly from Philly October 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm

made these again today, for a work function. we had employees from India visiting and they loved them too!

124 spabettie October 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

oh, wow – so glad you are still liking them, Jilly! funny you say that – Jason has coworkers in India, and for their last big week long meeting I made several flavors of these for him to share… they all loved them and he reported they were GONE before noon! :D

125 Gloria November 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

this is my new favorite snack!! I even used the dairyfree chips which are great by the way!! thank you for sharing such a tasty dessert!!

126 Kevin November 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm

THESE ARE SO TASTY AND SO EASY!! THANK YOU

127 spabettie November 10, 2011 at 8:52 am

you are welcome, Kevin! Cheers!

128 Pima November 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I love these! I made your mint flavored, and they are SOOOO good!! next I’m trying the apricot rosemary ones, yum! thank you, love your websight!

129 spabettie November 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm

thanks, Pima! glad you like them – fun emailing with you the other day!

130 Hans November 26, 2011 at 6:32 am

great recipe, so easy and WOW so good!

131 Kym December 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm

looks very tasty!

132 Monica December 27, 2011 at 1:33 am

I. cant. stop. eating. these!! so so yummo, thank you! the fresh mint ones are half this batch I’m currently snackin’ on, and next up (tomorrow) chia chai!! :)

133 Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Just went back and re-read all these comments… made me smile so big! :)

134 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

aw, YAY! :D these things are so crazy popular, Christin! I don’t check my analytics every day, but when I do, I always see people going to your original post! I have always loved chickpeas and am so happy I made that recipe!

135 Christin@purplebirdblog January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am so bummed right now… my trackbacks/pingbacks AND incoming links are all not showing on my blog… and truthfully I don’t think they have since I switched to self-hosted… so anyone who has linked to these that I don’t follow personally, I have no idea. My web guy is supposed to be helping me, but he’s super busy right now and I can’t necessarily afford his rates right now anyway, and everything I’ve read on Google that makes sense to me I’ve tried and hasn’t worked, and then it gets all techy-speak and I get lost. Ugh. Now that I’m back into blogging again and developing new relationships with other bloggers, it’s really bothering me that I can’t see these stats, mainly so I can reach out and say hello! Gah… it’ll all work out, I’m sure.

136 DLH January 31, 2012 at 2:05 am

made these today, I can’t wait to try your savory verson! I love these!

137 Gregory G February 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I may have to ask permission of you, I want to serve the tomato basil version in my restaurant. are you visiting soon?

138 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

oh my STARS what a complete and absolute HONOR. let’s talk!

and yes… I can’t wait to try the new menu… I will be there soon!

139 WOW February 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

WOW. just wow. I FINALLY made these with your fresh mint, and WOW. thank you!

140 Brian March 3, 2012 at 4:49 pm

my favorite cookie and website creator was the topic of conversation this weekend, I made these for our practice and they were gone before I set the box down LOL. I hope you see some of us visiting and commenting, I gave them your url :D

141 WOD March 31, 2012 at 2:22 am

I finally tried these, all I can say is YUM!!

142 Marla June 6, 2012 at 5:36 am

made these tonite they are so good!

143 Joey June 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Not being a mind reader, but can you please LIST the amounts needed to make these chocolate (fake) chip chick pea cookies? How do you smash up the chick peas? Thanks.

144 Carolina June 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm

we made this version, your mint leaf version, the apricot version AND the chai version this week. big wedding coming up, along with cakes we are having a cookie table. spabetty is represented in a big way, thanks!!

145 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:12 am

wow, I am honored to be a part of the dessert table, thank you! I hope this weekend is wonderful!

146 Kristy July 6, 2012 at 3:07 am

we made these for the 4th partes, everyone loved them!

147 Aqiyl Aniys February 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm

These look amazing. I will need to do a little modification to make it fit within my plant based diet, but I love the idea of a chick pea cookie with chocolate.

148 Kristina Sloggett February 17, 2014 at 8:27 am

if you read my notes, you will see that I made mine plant based as well :)

149 spabettie October 27, 2011 at 11:16 am

oh good – glad they worked better the second time around (I have forgotten to do the beans alone AGAIN, since our initial conversation about this!!). sheesh.

and there you go!! this was how my obsession started too – in fact, literally – I believe my first adaptation was adding dates!! :D