craving the classic comfort flavors you grew up with? this vegan Mushroom Stew has them! learn how to make a hearty stew everyone will love, all winter long, and get help with Meatless Monday.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Vegan Mushroom Stew
One of the best ways to warm up on a cold winter weekend? Vegan Mushroom Stew.
Not only is this recipe the epitome of comfort food, your kitchen will smell delicious! If you grew up with the classic hearty beef stew in your family recipes, you will be happy to hear the flavors in this vegan stew are on point.
How To Make A Meaty Vegan Stew
For something that tastes like it cooked all day, this vegan mushroom stew is an extremely quick and easy recipe.
It isn't even about trying to mimic a meat heavy dish - the rich and layered flavors of this vegan stew are all achieved from plants and herbs and things like salty tamari. You know, the same things that generally flavor meat dishes.
Hearty, meaty mushrooms are the star of this stew. A few simple steps and you'll be enjoying these incredible flavors, too:
- Chop some vegetables and sauté until soft.
- Add mushrooms and let those reduce.
- Add the rest of the flavor (tamari, tomato paste, herbs and seasonings).
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.
How To Serve Vegan Stew
It is suggested to serve this Vegan Mushroom Stew over mashed potatoes. We love this idea, and have a few other cozy comfort food ways to serve this:
- mashed potatoes
- mashed cauliflower
- crusty bread and a crisp cool salad
How Long Does Vegan Mushroom Stew Last?
My rule for freshness is 3-4 days, and that goes for this Vegan Mushroom Stew. Between lunches and dinners, this won't last too long anyway - you will be craving this stew the next day!
If you want to meal prep ahead, make a double batch. Cool completely, and then transfer stew to freezer bags or freezer safe glass containers.
Meatless Monday Family Cookbook
Meatless Monday has long been an easy and popular way to not eat meat, starting with one day a week. Meatless Monday is a long standing global initiative that encourages going meat free for the planet and your health.
Now there is a cookbook to help guide your Meatless Monday endeavors!
The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook is Jenn Sebestyen's new guide to kid friendly, plant based recipes. To say this book is Veggie Inspired is an understatement - Jenn shows you so many fantastic ways to make vegetables taste delicious!
The book begins with Getting Started with Meatless Monday - a chapter about how to begin, a detailed section on pantry essentials and kitchen tools, and even how to get your kids involved!
From there, the chapters get right to the good stuff - the recipes!
Meatless Monday Recipes
- Hearty Soups: Creamy Vegetable Noodle Soup looks amazing. the Easy Minestrone and the Tuscan White Bean Soup. it's that time of year!
- Satisfying Salads: from Mediterranean Pasta Salad to the Cherry Almond Cous Cous Salad, this chapter is full of fresh!
- Loaded Handhelds: Spicy Chickpea Melts, Pan Grilled Burritos, and Falafel Pitas with Lemon Dill Sauce, oh my! I love this chapter...
- Bountiful Bowls: and I love this chapter, too! Pineapple Curried Cauliflower Bowls, Red Beans and Rice Bowl, and Roasted Winter Vegetable Bowls - I cannot choose one!
- Perfect Pasta: so many great choices here, too - Pumpkin Maple Glazed Penne, Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, and Vegan Scampi are all calling to me.
- Center Stage Vegetables: THIS is my chapter! Crispy Breaded Eggplant, Cauliflower Steaks, Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes, Thai Sweet Potato Curry, and this Meaty Mushroom Stew!
- Breakfast For Dinner: ...is always a good thing, yes? from Peanut Butter Pancakes and a Chickpea Scramble Burrito to Oven Baked Potato Hash, you can begin or end your day right!
These recipes are delicious, easy and approachable with common, easy to find ingredients. It is clear that Jenn is a skilled recipe writer - these recipes do not disappoint. My dog-eared copy of The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook has a permanent place on my kitchen shelf.
More Vegan Comfort Food
We are all about Vegan Comfort Food, which is why we LOVE this Vegan Mushroom Stew! For even more vegan comfort food recipes, see these Cozy Vegan Recipes.
- Bourbon Roasted Delicata Comfort Bowl: mashed potato bowls have long been one of our favorite comfort food meals. this delicata squash was made for this.
- Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme: still a go to after all of these years, this super tasty, crunchy comfort food always wins. we never do not want this.
- Pumpkin Bread French Toast: your sorta fancy, totally cozy, and extremely flavorful weekend breakfast is sorted! make a couple loaves of bread and save one for French toasting...
- Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese: SERIOUSLY TASTY. this recipe is so easy and approachable, and you may even have everything on hand RIGHT NOW to make it...
Did You Make This Vegan Stew Recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 10 ounces (280 g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 10 ounces (280 g) sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) gluten free tamari, coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (130 g) frozen green peas
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and carrots, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, tamari, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and vegetable broth.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low to to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas, stir to incorporate. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- Serve Meaty Mushroom Stew over garlic mashed potatoes.
vegan, dairy, gluten, and egg free
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dutch Oven 5.5 quart
La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25 Oz
365 Everyday Value, Double Concentrated Tomato Paste, 5.3 Ounce
TAMARI-REDUCED SODIUM Gluten Free Organic 10OZ
Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef, No Chicken, Vegetable, 8 oz Jars (3 Pack)
365 Dried Thyme 0.49 ounce
365 Dried Sage, 0.81 ounce
Glass Meal Prep with Lids
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Meaty Mushroom Stew recipe reprinted from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook, with permission from Jenn Sebestyen and Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. © 2019
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.