Sparkly Apricot Rosemary Jewels – buttery shortbread topped with a bright punch of flavor – apricot jam with a festive sparkle and a hint of rosemary – holiday perfect!
A high school friend recently wrote about Finding Focus at 100mph, referring to his motorcycle.
I kinda sorta relate to that, as I love to drive fast and have lately thought of racing (cars!) classes. While driving fast laps around a racetrack, I believe I could easily find that flow, that peace, that calm.
Back in high school and college, this was skiing for me – being out alone on the mountain (well, I wasn’t alone, was I – it simply felt this way) with that silence that can only come from the layered padding of snow.
Now I find that peace while running – it takes a little bit to find my breathing pattern and get into my groove, but once I do, there’s nothing like it. I can process, I can think, I can just be.
I also turn to cooking, specifically baking, when I’m stressed, worried, need to focus or simply zone out.
Dad and I have had some long exhausting hospital days lately – some of it has been good news and some news is still up in the air. I am tired, I am distracted, I am hopeful, I am scattered.
Good thing it is the holiday season, I have been baking a lot these past few days.
Yep, up baking midnight.
Making sparkly stuff. Tasty sparkly stuff.
Sparkly Apricot Rosemary Jewels
makes 14-17 cookies
1/2 cup dairy free butter
2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste
1 sprig (1 teaspoon) fresh rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour, plus up to 1/3 cup for kneading
2-3 tablespoons dairy free milk
1/3 cup apricot preserves
colored sanding sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and rosemary.
Stir in flour, adding milk one tablespoon at a time until dough forms.
Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 20 minutes.
Using hands, roll dough into one inch rounds. Place on prepared (parchment) baking sheet, make a thumbprint.
Bake at 300 °F for 25 – 28 minutes.
Remove from oven, cool completely.
Spoon apricot preserves into thumbprint, sprinkle with sparkly colored sugars.
I will have more of an update on Dad soon.
When do you find your focus? What is your 100mph calm?
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into the best way to spend her days – sharing just how flavorful and vibrant vegan food is! She loves dachshunds, Portland, Hawaii, drummers – well, one drummer – and travel.
printable Sparkly Apricot Rosemary Jewels recipe:
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste
- 1 sprig (1 teaspoon) fresh rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour, plus up to 1/3 cup for kneading
- 2-3 tablespoons dairy free milk
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- colored sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and rosemary.
- Stir in flour, adding milk one tablespoon at a time until dough forms.
- Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 20 minutes.
- Using hands, roll dough into one inch rounds. Place on prepared (parchment) baking sheet, make a thumbprint.
- Bake at 300 °F for 25 - 28 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool completely.
- Spoon apricot preserves into thumbprint, sprinkle with sparkly colored sugars.
vegan, gluten free
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.