This vegan Baileys Irish Cream recipe is a quick and easy method to make a perfect drink for sipping or gifting!
recipe originally published September 27, 2010
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Easy homemade liqueur recipe
One of my favorite sipping drinks is Baileys over ice.
Bailey's over ice cream is also delicious, as is Baileys in coffee. (Jason and I managed to get nearly everyone in the first class cabin on a flight change their orders to Baileys and coffee, after hearing us order it. There was one hold out, they wanted Jäger.)
However we enjoy it, this vegan Baileys Irish Cream is definitely not reserved for holidays only. This is a year round beverage and mixer for us.
Is Whiskey Gluten Free?
The distillation process removes the gluten proteins. According to the National Institutes of Health Celiac Awareness Campaign, distilled alcohol is considered gluten free and safe to drink, even if originally derived from wheat, barley, or rye. This not only applies to rye whiskey and scotch whisky, but vodka and gin as well.
Where things change is bourbons and other whiskeys that add a mash after distilling. The mash often contains wheat / gluten.
My suggestion is to please do your own research if you have concerns.
How to make homemade liqueur
The quintessential and distinct liqueur we all know and love is extremely easy to make at home. Just a few common pantry ingredients make up this tasty recipe, and even those are flexible:
- dairy free milk: feel free to replace the coconut milk with a dairy free milk or creamer product of your choosing. I have made this with cashew milk and hemp milk - the thicker milks lend a creamy consistency.
- sweetener: if you prefer, add a bit of your favorite sweetener. maple syrup, date syrup or a simple sugar mixture works best.
- almond extract: this is optional, if you don't have it? skip it! this recipe tastes great without it - I make it both ways.
- rye whiskey: any whiskey will do, but I like the lighter / smoother taste of a rye for this recipe.
Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Enjoy over ice or as a mixer in a cocktail.
How long does this last?
Transfer your homemade Baileys into airtight containers and keep refrigerated.
Refrigerated homemade vegan Baileys Irish Cream lasts 10 days / 2 weeks.
Vegan Holiday Drink Recipes
- Hot Chocolate Peppermint Shots: spiked or not, these festive and fun shots of hot chocolate come in a minty cool shot glass!
- Liquor Bottles On Ice: my longtime favorite way to dress up the bottles for a fancy party. keep your libations cool in a fun decorative way!
- S'mores Shots with Chocolate Glasses: another edible shot glass! this one you make yourself, dip in graham crumb, and fill with a s'mores shot. Mmm.
Also, our Vegan Holiday Cocktails collection shares some of our favorite bloggers recipes!
Did you make this recipe?
Follow spabettie on Instagram and tag us with #spabettie
We love seeing your recipe photos and remakes - thank you!
- Prepare espresso/coffee.
- Immediately add sugar and cocoa to hot espresso shots. Whisk until dissolved.
- Pour coconut milk into large measuring cup / bowl with pourable spout.
- Add almond extract, vanilla, and whiskey to the milk.
- Add sweetened espresso shots, whisk to combine.
- Transfer to airtight jar / container.
- Store in refrigerator, up to 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 ounces - ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Kristina is spabettie! She found cooking at an early age, and created spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing vibrant vegan food! Read more...
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.