this Vegan Chocolate Biscuit Cake is Royally rich and tasty! Quick and easy, this no bake chocolate cake is perfect for a Royal Wedding Groom’s Cake, fit for a Queen (her favorite!), and brunch ready!
recipe originally published April 28, 2011
Vegan Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Yep. I made Prince William’s groom’s cake.
You all aren’t really surprised, are you?
While I am not a fan of fruit cake, which is tradition at Royal Weddings, I do love chocolate and biscuits. This cake looked easy enough, and sometimes the simple recipes are the most delicious. This is absolutely one of those recipes.
A Biscuit Cake is an excellent choice for William’s groom’s cake – it is Queen Elizabeth’s favorite cake! She enjoys this incredibly rich dessert for afternoon tea, and William first enjoyed it at tea as well.
At our wedding, one of my favorite aspects was planning a special and super fun groom’s cake for Jason. He is a drummer, and I had a cake made into a marching snare drum, complete with drumsticks!
It was perfect.
more Royal Wedding Cake: Lemon Elderflower Layer Cake
This particular cake? Is literally like eating a truffle. Rich chocolate, silky smooth and creamy, with a crunch of biscuit to cut into the richness in the most perfect way.
It is so rich, you really need only a very small piece.
I made this in my small springform pan – the five inch size. I like my cakes tall.
I have also made this same recipe in my larger (eight or nine inch) springform pan – if you prefer a longer elegant sliver of cake.
Since this is a no bake chocolate cake, it is quick to make!
more chocolate recipes:
Who else is
staying up all night getting up early to watch the Royal Wedding?
Anyone else wearing a crown? Just me?
- Line a springform pan with parchment. Wrap outside of pan with foil to prevent leaking.
- Remove pits from dates. Place in a small bowl with boiling water. Set aside to soften for several minutes.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, warm coconut cream. Stir frequently and keep the heat low.
- Drain water from dates. Transfer dates to blender jar.
- Carefully pour about 1/2 cup of the warmed coconut cream into blender jar with dates. Return saucepan with remaining coconut cream to the stovetop over low heat.
- Quickly blend dates and warm coconut cream to a smooth paste. Remove from blender and pour this date paste into the saucepan with remaining coconut cream.
- Stir to combine, continuing to warm over low heat.
- Add chocolate to saucepan. Continue to stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Break biscuits into small pieces, one half inch or so. Add broken biscuit pieces to chocolate mixture, stirring to combine and coat each biscuit piece completely.
- Carefully pour mixture into prepared springform pan. Pick up pan and gently hit it against countertop, to release any air bubbles. Do this a couple times.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil. Transfer cake to refrigerator to cool overnight.
- Carefully release the springform pan. Run a knife around edge to release cake if needed, and carefully remove ring from springform pan. Slice and serve.
- This cake is traditionally topped with a ganache. I thought it was rich and chocolatey enough as is, so I crumbled more biscuit crumbs on top.
inspired by the recipe from Bon Appétit test kitchen
YIELD: one short 8 inch cake, or one tall 5 inch cake
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:one slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 33mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 34g Protein: 3g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.