sparkly apricot rosemary jewels

A high school friend recently wrote about Finding Focus at 100mph, referring to his motorcycle.

I kinda sorta relate to that, as I love to drive fast and have lately thought of racing (cars!) classes. While driving fast laps around a racetrack, I believe I could easily find that flow, that peace, that calm.

Back in high school and college, this was skiing for me – being out alone on the mountain (well, I wasn’t alone, was I – it simply felt this way) with that silence that can only come from the layered padding of snow.

Now I find that peace while running – it takes a little bit to find my breathing pattern and get into my groove, but once I do, there’s nothing like it. I can process, I can think, I can just be.

I also turn to cooking, specifically baking, when I’m stressed, worried, need to focus or simply zone out.

Dad and I have had some long exhausting hospital days lately – some of it has been good news and some news is still up in the air. I am tired, I am distracted, I am hopeful, I am scattered.

Good thing it is the holiday season, I have been baking a lot these past few days.

Yep, up baking midnight.

sparkly apricot rosemary jewels

makes 14-17 cookies

1/2 cup butter (dairy and soy free)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 sprig fresh rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup flour (gluten free all purpose), plus up to 1/3 cup for kneading
2-3 tablespoons milk (vanilla coconut)
apricot preserves
colored sanding sugar (optional)

Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and rosemary. Stir in flour, adding milk one tablespoon at a time until dough forms. Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 20 minutes. Roll dough into one inch rounds, place on prepared (parchment/silpat) baking sheet, make a thumbprint.

Bake at 300 for 25 – 28 minutes. Remove from oven, cool completely. Spoon apricot preserves into thumbprint, sprinkle with sparkly colored sugars.

I will have more of an update on Dad soon.

When do you find your focus? What is your 100mph calm?

Comments

these cookies look perfect and are gorgeous! like little pillows stuffed with sparkles. the sparkle makes them perfect for christmas! i always see sanding sugar and want to get it, but never do. now i know how beautiful it looks.

• Kristina Sloggett says

and I cannot wait to give you an update, dear friend! you have been such a wonderful smile for me this year, I hope you know just how much I appreciate you!! XO

Aw friend, I’m glad you can find peace and focus while running and while baking — it SO helps to have outlets to just zone out and to chill out, especially when dealing with stressful situations like your dad and his health. I’m sending lots of love and prayer your way, as always. xo

• Kristina Sloggett says

I know you are, and I appreciate it SO VERY MUCH! just like I believe in necessary outlets, I believe in the power of positive attitude and the power of prayer… that has gotten us through this year! XO

You and your dad are in my prayers. I wish him all the best.

You’re so strong!! I don’t think there is anything wrong with baking at midnight, do what you got to do.

Love this classed up Thumbprint cookie:)

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, friend – we feel that powerful energy, for sure. and baking at midnight? kinda fun. Basil thinks so 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, that would be SO FUN. one day…

and yes, the worst part about these past couple of months has definitely been the not knowing. we all just want answers (and we all want this to be over!) thinking of YOU, my friend. I’ll run a mile for you today XO

Kristina, I hope the new year is filled with lots of good news for your dad. Thinking of you, and sending lots of healing thoughts to you guys.

The cookies look fantastic, and the perfect thing to bake at midnight!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you SO much, Julie! we are hoping for a GOOD year with this next one, and hopefully we will find time to get together! xo

Thanks Kristina for the “post-shout-out”, it also brought me to your blog ~ nice. They say the best thing to do in life is what you enjoy, and it appears you’re doing something you truly enjoy…and by judging from all your snapshots of foodie creations, you’re really good at it.

When you start racing cars though, I’d recommend letting someone else take those pictures. Keep those hands at 10 and 2, and push the accelerator through the floor.

• Kristina Sloggett says

haa – thanks, Jim! I will definitely let someone else take the photos, and as my insurance agent has wearily pointed out in the past – the pedal WILL be to the metal. 😉

and thank you for stopping by – your kind words made my day!

• Kristina Sloggett says

you are too kind, I haven’t felt graceful 😉 and thank you!! I am hoping for a better year, a calmer year, as well! XO

Thinking of you and your dad. Sending you guys strength and prayers. And these look oh so good. cannot believe you were baking after midnight!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you so SO much… we definitely feel those prayers. yeah… it was a day that I didn’t have to be up at 4am… thankfully… 😉

I hope all of that “up in the air” becomes good news, too! I wish I could find peace in baking, but I’m so bad at it, I just get frustrated and stressed, haha. But sitting down with hot tea and a good book? That gets me in the zone.

And you should totally sign up for a racing class–and then post about it!

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh, Allie me too! and I hope it is soon, the waiting is wearing on us. My dad is such a trooper, though. Sitting next to him right now, he is still making jokes 😉

if I do decide to race, I WILL be talking about it!!

• says

Waiting is always the worst! I mean, you don’t want bad news, but at least once there’s an answer, you know how to move forward, what action to take, rather than sit and wait! And your dad sounds absolutely inspiring in how positive he’s stayed!

• Kristina Sloggett says

our follow up appointment is tomorrow – I don’t want to put too much pressure on it, but I think we will finally be hearing something… fingers crossed.

For me, it’s sitting alone, with a little background music, reading my bible and praying it out. It’s the thing I know I’ve neglected when I start to feel anxious and can’t get out of that funk. Praying for things to get better for you!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you so much, Heather! that means a great deal.

I understand this all too well – you know you’ve been neglecting the self care and prayer when you start to feel discombobulated. A great reminder to make it a daily habit.

You had me at sparkly.

My zen place is usually the gym or curled up with a great book by the fireplace. I also like to drive fast, but usually only do it when I’m the only one in the car…I wouldn’t want to scare my passengers.
    I hope all goes well for you and your Dad. I’ll be sending positive vibes.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I just tend to drive fast always, I think – I take my Dad to all of his medical appointments, and the other day he actually asked me to slow down… oops. 😉 and thank you so much, Meghan – I appreciate your vibes so very much!! XO

I adore apricot!!! And I’m wishing I had these cookies. Luckily, this is something I can remedy. I too turn to the kitchen when I need to relax, baking makes me happy.
    I’m out of touch with what is going on, but my prayers are with you and your family… I’ve been surrounded by too many medical issues this season. Praying yours turn out well.
    XO
    Kim

• Kristina Sloggett says

yes, Kim, get on these quick! I love apricot too, and with rosemary and the buttery cookie, oh YUM.

and thank you – I don’t talk about it too much, Dad has been battling cancer this year. we are hoping for a clean bill of health soon. I appreciate your prayers, so very much.

XO Kristina

I’m thinking about you guys! I totally find my happy place in the kitchen which is why I think I’m a little all over the place these days. I just don’t have the energy or the time. I will get there hopefully this weekend. I really need my baking therapy!

These look perfect! I’m hoping to decorate cookies with the boys this weekend!

• Kristina Sloggett says

one of my goals in the new year is to really organize my time better… I am hoping I have more of my time as my own this year. have fun making cookies this weekend! XO

Trackbacks