cherry cheesecake popsicles

in cherry season, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, summertime, Vegan

So Halloween is coming up. Soon.

I know, it’s summertime and this weirdo spabettie is already thinking about fall? Only for costume planning purposes, I promise. I am savoring the summertime days to their maximum potential, I truly am. I am not trying to will it away or make autumn arrive quicker. However, I do know a good costume requires some thought and time. and possible drawer slides.

Before October arrives this year, I will have to find old Halloween costume photos to share with you all.

Many years ago, I dressed up as Mia Wallace, which was a two part costume. For the first half of the night, I had my carefully arranged wig, white button down shirt, skinny black pants. The second half of the night, my hair and makeup messed up, I had a large syringe attached to a bustier I wore under my white shirt, pointing at a red sharpie mark. An fun costume I wore several times.

Jason and I have done a couple costume once – he wore a camo print jacket with black pants, I wore a black top with camo print pants. Upper and lower G.I.s.

A few years ago, the costume was Travis Bickle, complete with a (fake) gun on a drawer slide that shot out of my sleeve. You talkin’ to me?!

I have an idea for this year, but I’m keeping it under wraps until Halloween arrives. Besides, there is too much summer left to savor, and summer includes popsicles.

Delicious popsicles that really do taste like cheesecake.

cherry cheesecake popsicles dipped in shortbread

dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 5 pops in this size mould

4 ounces cream cheese (Tofutti)
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup water, divided
1 dropper vanilla stevia

1 1/2 cups frozen cherries

In blender, combine cream cheese, coconut milk, 1/2 cup water and vanilla stevia, blend until creamy smooth. Transfer to a container with a pour spout, set aside. Rinse blender, add cherries and remaining 1/4 cup water, blend to a chunky jam consistency. Spoon a small amount of cherry mixture into each mould, followed by pouring a tablespoon (approximate) into each mould, alternating until full to achieve marbled look. Fill all moulds, add sticks and transfer to freezer for several hours / overnight.

Dip in shortbread crumbs to complete the cheesecake flavor. I made a 1/2 batch of these cookies (cookie dough base only) and used a few to make crumbs in the food processor.

Do you dress up for Halloween? What costumes have you worn in the past?

1 Abby July 20, 2012 at 5:33 am

Once again I can make you feel relatively normal by saying that one of my magazines deals with the party industry and I’m already working with companies on trends for Halloween 2013. Sigh…so much for living in the moment, but so goes the publishing industry ;)

If you ever need costume recommendations though, I’ll swap them for some of those popsicles!

2 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:30 am

oh, yes, I remember us talking about Halloween last year? (when you must have been planning New Years for ’18…?) ;) so what is the trend for a year from now? what do they even base that on?

3 Abby July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

It’s tightly related to pop culture (I actually have a post about this next week I think, if I finish it) so superheroes are still REALLY big. Personally, I’m all for food ;)

4 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

LOVED your superhero post!

5 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 20, 2012 at 6:04 am

You aren’t weird, this morning, while swimming, I was thinking of what kind of Christmas cookies I wanted to make this year.

6 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:28 am

oh I LOVE that. and good thinking, now I’m planning that as well… ;)

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 20, 2012 at 7:44 am

We have done a few fun things, but my favorite was when Tony was a douchebag and I was knocked up…I will post the picture on fb for you. I have no other way of describing it in all it’s glory.

Those popsicles look amazing. I LOVE toffuti and miss it so.

8 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

oh my gosh, I NEED to see that one! why no Tofutti?

9 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 20, 2012 at 7:55 am

that looks so good! I”m also thinking about fall too:) sweater weather and crunchy leaves!

10 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

oooh, I can almost smell the crisp autumn air now! :) I really do love summer, but fall has to be my favorite… and yes, sweaters and stockings and fun boots and excuses to drink warm beverages! :D

11 lindsay July 20, 2012 at 8:41 am

upper and lower GI? Oh my, i love it! glad you didn’t go as an a**hole. You don’t fit that picture. haha.

12 Cara July 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

Ohh I was totally thinking of doing something like this soon… great minds think alike!

13 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

cherries are an ultimate fave! I have a cherry recipe coming up – and I love that you used cream cheese in these; makes them soooo creamy!

14 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

Love that you’re already thinking about costumes ;-) Kind of funny you mention Halloween b/c there is this house I pass and have noticed someone sleeping in the porch occasionally (5:30 am mind you). The first time I saw the guy I thought it was a scarecrow then I remember what month it was. This morning when Jason and I passed the house and I saw the guy, I pointed him out and mentioned the Halloween thing ;-)

And I could have seriously gone for one of those popsicles this morning after my long run. YUM

15 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

sleeping on the porch to keep cool? I’d do that. :D

yes, these pops would be a good post run cooler…

16 purelylori July 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm

who knew that making popsicles could be so fun and easy! brilliant!!!

17 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

these were VERY easy, and I was so happy they turned out swirly – which was my intent but you never know… right? ;)

18 Heather July 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

These look so delicious – need to get out my old popsicle molds!

19 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm

thanks, Heather – I already had to make a second batch… ;)

20 Kailey July 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm

anything that has the promise of tasting like cheesecake is a winner in my book :)

21 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm

yes, they actually do, Kailey! :)

22 Shirley @ gluten free easily July 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Super yum! And while I haven’t thought about Halloween costumes yet, I have thought about fall longingly. I’d like fall weather with the long summer days. Can we arrange that, please?

I’ve had lots of fun Halloween costumes over the years and created some especially fun ones for Son. Our all-time favorite for him was a hammerhead shark. He wore a human tooth on a chain around his neck. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

23 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm

haa – I love the human tooth for a shark – clever!

I too look forward to fall – my favorite time of the year, when things are cool and the air smells smokey, fresh and good.

24 Barbara | Creative Culinary July 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Today was popsicle day for me too..although mine might have been big girl pops…you know – BOOZE!

I’m on a popsicle binge…and these sound so very good AND I have cherries. a must do.

I made a costume a couple of years ago to go to a costume party as Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter. Gray wig; cool witch hat with a feather I got on the web and a black velveteen cape that I made. So…I noticed that cape in my closet one day and wore it to the grocery store. I had 3 people want to know where I got it. It has become my favorite cool weather ‘coat’ and people continue to ask me where I got it!

25 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I need to try some boozy pops for sure… can you really taste it, I can’t imagine you can add very much or they wouldn’t freeze properly?

I love the idea of a black velveteen cape – I am sure you get many questions about where it can be found! :)

26 Amy Tong July 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I like your mentality of thinking ahead for Halloween. :) hehe…can’t wait to see what you come up with this year.

For now, let me adore these cherry cheesecake pops. So unique and delicious. Can’t wait to make some pops for my kids!

27 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm

hi Amy – the one I have planned is a fun one, if I get it done for this year I will definitely share ;)

I was so happy these turned out swirly – it was what I was going for, but you never know if it will work! either way, they do taste great!

28 STUFT Mama July 21, 2012 at 11:55 pm

You NEVER cease to amaze me with your deliciousness. :) Um and yes, please bring on the old Haloween costume pictures. I can’t wait.

29 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm

thank you, Mama! wish I could share these with you guys XXO

30 Stephanie July 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Upper / Lower GI is GENIUS. How could you *ever* top that?? :D

31 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

hee, I love that one too. ;) I do have another ‘play on words’ type costume, but I will not reveal until I do it!

32 Ali July 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm

yum!

33 Stace July 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Mmm, these sound so good! very pretty too!

34 Korin July 28, 2012 at 7:07 pm

why didn’t I see these!? I need to make more now (everyone loved your cherry limeaid ones).

35 Rayna August 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

These look great!

36 spabettie August 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm

thank you, Rayna – it was my favorite popsicle of summer, at least so far!