pizza polenta stuffed peppers

When shopping for peppers, do you pick the ones that have flat bottoms so they can stand and be stuffed, or is that just me?

The majority of the peppers I buy go into my juicer or get chopped up for a recipe, but I still look for the perfect pepper every time.

These? They are perfect. See how they stand up straight? :)

pizza polenta stuffed peppers

serves four

4 orange bell peppers
3 cups water
1 cup polenta (coarse ground cornmeal)
sea salt
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
9-15 leaves fresh basil, chopped fine

Bring water to simmer, add cornmeal. Stir consistently for first 5 minutes or so… I am never too far away, watching and stirring frequently. Once it comes together (20-25 minutes) add sea salt to taste. Add cooked quinoa to polenta, stir.

Combine tomato paste, rosemary, oregano, garlic. Add to quinoa polenta, stir. Add fresh basil, stir.

Cut the top off the peppers and clean out the innards and seeds. Fill with quinoa polenta and garnish with a basil leaf. Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes. Serve atop a simple spinach + vinaigrette salad.

Pizza flavor in a new way – the stuffed pepper is back! I can’t wait until I can walk out to my garden and pick a pepper… I am prepared for peppers that may not stand up, though.

Happy Friday! Hope you enjoy the holiday weekend, any fun plans?

Comments

I know I’ve totally told you this like a million times, but you probably should start working as a magazine food photographer. Your pictures always turn out so good. I kind of want to lick my computer screen sometimes. TMI? It’s true. These look AMAZING.

Oh and Sheldonut wanted me to tell you to tell Basil Hi. :)

Oh man, those look incredible. Your recipe is like all of my favorite things… combined. I wish I were growing my own peppers this year, but I can’t wait until they show up at the farmer’s market!

Those peppers are pretty! I do the same thing if I am making stuffed peppers because the first time it wasn’t pretty and they fell over during the baking and stuff fell out.

I love your combo! I’m totally going to make these.

No, I’ve never bought peppers considering that factor, but I’ve also never stuffed a lot of peppers. πŸ˜‰ But now that you have educated me, I’ll be ready! Yummy stuffed peppers, Kristina. Yet another way to get one’s pizza fix without fooling with a crust–love it!

xo,
    Shirley

Nice! πŸ˜€ My mom made stuffed peppers sometimes when I was a child, but they had meat and rice in them. I remember I never liked the green ones (and still don’t), so I very much appreciate that you went for red and orange. πŸ˜‰

OMG, OMG, OMG! I love this! I love stuffed peppers but have NEVER thought about stuffing with polenta. You = genius

And your pics are stunning. Love the bright colors! I have 1 yellow and 1 orange pepper in my fridge right now, I bought them on sale and planned to stuff them. But I don’t think I can top your recipe — YUM! :)

I dig stuffed peppers! The Italian in me is loving the polenta. Where do you come up with these drool worthy recipes?? Did you see we are in Oregon now? Land of lime green mossy trees! We are at Lake of the Woods & it’s colder than a witch’s tata!! It’s snooooowing! Can’t wait to meet you in person!! You better not really be a teenage boy πŸ˜‰

Hey girl we are a little behind on blogs but I wanted to say wow these look amazing!!! Never been a huge stuffed pepper fan but these look like something I just have to try πŸ˜‰ YUM

9. Darren says

made again these last night; even better than the first time remembered. again thanks for all creative foods here, we like website a good deal.

-Darren H

10. Linn says

this filling is wonderful! have enjoyed a few times now, the flavors are very good. I am the opposite, green being my favorite pepper, so that is one we choose. still flavors are good!

11. Indra says

these are SO cute!! I will have to remember for next year. I always make my quinoa or grains with broth for flavor, I will have to try juice now, genius!!

12. Larissa says

I love this filling! my kids won’t eat the pepper, but they devour seconds of the filling, so I am happy LOL