this vegan Protein Rich Chipotle Alfredo Spaghetti recipe is a wonderfully spicy update to everyone’s favorite noodle topper – perfect over pasta or spaghetti squash.
Vegan Chipotle Alfredo
Who doesn’t love flavorful comfort food?
Perhaps with a little kick of spicy heat?
With this recipe, the spicy is up to you – totally easy to adjust the chipotle to your liking. Same with the noodles, really. I love Love LOVE pasta like anybody, you all know that.
I also love spaghetti squash, as a sort of noodle replacement while fully acknowledging that it really is not a noodle replacement at all. I get it. Anyway – if you can’t do the alterna-noodle thing, this really does make a great Protein Rich Chipotle Alfredo Spaghetti as well.
With actual spaghetti noodles.
Those of you who DO like spaghetti squash, you can follow this recipe as is!
If you like your spaghetti squash long and noodle-y, the best way to prep a spaghetti squash is to cut them into discs before roasting. The spaghetti strands are longer this way, rather than cutting the squash in half lengthwise – you slice all the noodles in half that way.
The last couple spaghetti squash we have enjoyed have been so rich and buttery, all on their own. Then we topped them with this sauce? Oh my… serious comfort food.
Protein packed comfort food, at that!
I used my standard Garlic Bechamel Sauce as inspiration, then veered wildly away in a different direction to amp up the protein. Look at that pour photo – the result is a silky smooth, rich and creamy sauce with a spicy side.
I had some on my avocado toast one morning.
serious protein packed spicy comfort food!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, diced small
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1-2 tablespoons* adobo sauce from canned chipotle (check the label for gluten!)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash widthwise into 1 inch rounds, removing seeds. Place in single layer on baking sheet, bake at 375 °F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each squash round over, return to oven and continue baking another 25 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, prepare the Alfredo sauce. In large saucepan, sauté onion in a bit of water for a few minutes. Add cauliflower and garlic, continue to sauté until softened, about ten minutes. Once onions are translucent and soft, add beans. Continue to cook over medium low heat. Add nutritional yeast, cashew milk, and vegetable broth, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Remove Alfredo ingredients from heat, allow to cool slightly. Carefully transfer to blender, blend at highest speed until completely smooth. Return to saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in lemon juice, adobe from chipotle, salt and pepper. Continue to simmer over low heat for several minutes. Remove from heat and set aside - sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven, set aside a few minutes to cool before removing squash “noodles” from outer skin with a fork.
- To serve: plate spaghetti squash as you would pasta noodles, spoon / pour Chipotle Alfredo Sauce over top of squash. Garnish with fresh parsley, nutritional yeast.
- *adjust chipotle flavor for your heat preference - a little goes a long way
sauce inspired by Cashew Bechamel Sauce
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
365 Everyday Value, Organic Cannellini Beans, 15 Ounce
Pure Natural Non-fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes (8 oz.) Whole Food Based Protein Powder, Vitamin B Complex, Beta-glucans and all 18 Amino Acids
Elmhurst - Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium
Goya Foods Chiles Chipotle Peppers, 7 Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 1/4 cups
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 144 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 383mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 9g Protein: 15g
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.