gluten free vegan Buckwheat Hemp Banana Pancakes – a nutrient dense six ingredient recipe perfect for lazy Sunday breakfast, fancy brunch, even breakfast for dinner!
recipe originally published May 9, 2013
Buckwheat Hemp Banana Pancakes
During the summer months, I generally crave light and fresh foods. Still, I also crave warm and hearty choices, and whole grains with staying power. Bright sunny mornings have me opening all the windows and doors – letting the cool fresh air in.
A warm hearty breakfast goes well with a cool morning, and one that fills me up and keeps me satisfied until early afternoon is a must.
Nutrient Rich Breakfast
Thankfully, pancakes have a year-round appeal for me – winter or summer, pancakes just seem to go with weekends. Spring and summer pancakes might involve fresh fruit or even fresh vegetables, which is always a plus.
When creating a new pancake recipe, I try to meet several aspects – flavor, fluffy texture, nutrition and staying power. These are all of those things and more.
These pancakes are packed with the essentials. Buckwheat and hemp bring a good amount of protein and fiber to pair with a natural sweetness with the wholesome nutrition. A short ingredient list and tasty satisfying flavor make this one of my favorite vegan pancake recipes.
Six Ingredient Recipe
I went through several test recipes and variations to get to this recipe – a hearty, naturally sweet pancake with a bit of fluffiness to balance the nutrient dense whole grain.
With a total of six ingredients, this is an easy vegan gluten free recipe using what you most likely have on hand. These pancakes have no added sugar, using a ripe banana as a natural sweetener.
Adding dark chocolate chips makes these pancakes even sweeter… so good, and like a completely new recipe with one added ingredient.
gluten free vegan pancakes:
should my Sunday pancakes with chocolate, or without?
- In mixing bowl, whisk together Buckwheat Hemp flour, rice flour, and baking powder.
- Add the banana and cashew milk to the dry ingredients, stirring to just combine. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Scoop batter onto a preheated nonstick skillet over medium low heat.
- Flip when pancakes begin to bubble and cook other side (less than another minute).
- Serve warm, topping with fresh fruit, cashew butter, and maple syrup.
dairy, egg, soy, oil, and gluten free, vegan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Arrowhead Mills Flour Buckwheat Organic, 22 oz
- Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour, 24 oz. (Pack of 6)
- Navitas Organics Hemp Powder, 12 oz. Bag — Organic, Non-GMO, Cold-Pressed, Gluten-Free
- 365 Baking Powder, 10 Ounce
- Unsweetened Cashew Milk - 32 Fluid Ounces
- Enjoy Life Semi-sweet Chocolate Mini Chips Pck of 2 (Packaging may vary)
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Spatula Whisk Set of 6
- Cuisinart Chef's Classic Double Burner Griddle
Serving Size:3 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9gSugar: 11gProtein: 9g
nutrition calculations results vary by calculator, are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to replace medical advice or treatment.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial for Unlimited Grocery Delivery – add these recipe ingredients to your list. use code FRESH25 for a $25 off discount on your first AmazonFresh order!
Kristina is spabettie! She discovered a love of cooking at an early age, and founded spabettie in 2010 to share vegan recipes. As the sole recipe developer and photographer, Kristina turned her culinary training into sharing flavorful and vibrant vegan food! She loves dachshunds, karaoke, drums, and travel.
spabettie / Kristina Sloggett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.