Seven Layer Dip with Noocho Cheese Sauce – a protein packed plant based update on the classic party dip that everyone loves – full of fresh flavor and color.
I recently had a craving for seven layer dip – alternating levels of spicy and cool and fresh and crunch. I wanted it for dinner, so this recipe veers from the traditional – I removed the sour cream layer, added salsa spiced quinoa, and made a fantastic new recipe – noocho cheese.
Add chips for dipping and fresh romaine salad, this was dinner on Monday.
and lunch on Tuesday.
I can’t get enough of the noocho cheese.
First, this is our new favorite sauce. It has that oh so slight sweet from the cashews, the buttery cheesy flavor from nutritional yeast, and a perfect amount of spice and heat. So good! Please make this.
Second, we love seven layer dip for dinner! Sort of like snacking at dinnertime, but with the staying power of quinoa, beans and the noocho cheese, it filled us up and left us smiling. We may have to make this a regular thing.
Seven Layer Dip
vegan, gluten free, dairy free
base layer – jalapeno beans
salsa spiced quinoa
noocho cheese sauce (recipe below)
chopped lettuce and scallions
jalapeno soaked olives
No measurements for this – make as little or as much as you want, with layers as thick or thin as you want.
Base layer – canned pinto beans (drained) and chopped jalapeno: I used 2 cans beans and 2 seeded jalapenos, processed in food processor to a blend of chunky/creamy.
Second layer – salsa spiced quinoa – quinoa cooked with dried and powdered “salsa flavors” added to the water: I used 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, I added 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons chili flakes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, bring to boil then simmer 25 minutes.
Third layer – noocho cheese sauce / dip. Recipe follows.
Fourth through seventh layers – layer the lettuce and scallions, then tomato, then avocado, then olives.
Noocho Cheese Sauce
vegan, gluten free, dairy free
1 cup raw cashews, soaked
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1/3 to 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons sauerkraut
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Add soaked cashews and lemon juice to blender – blend alone at high speed to an almost creamy consistency.
Add hot sauce and a couple tablespoons of the water – continue processing until smooth.
While processing, add sauerkraut, garlic, nutritional yeast, paprika, chili and onion powders, stopping to scrape sides. Add water until desired consistency is reached – more water for sauce, less for dip.
What is your favorite dinner that seems like a snack?
printable Seven Layer Dip with Noocho Cheese Sauce recipe:
- base layer - jalapeno beans
- salsa spiced quinoa
- noocho cheese sauce (recipe below)
- chopped lettuce and scallions
- chopped tomatoes
- cubed avocado
- jalapeno soaked olives
- No measurements for this - make as little or as much as you want, with layers as thick or thin as you want.
- Base layer - canned pinto beans (drained) and chopped jalapeno: I used 2 cans beans and 2 seeded jalapenos, processed in food processor to a blend of chunky/creamy.
- Second layer - salsa spiced quinoa - quinoa cooked with dried and powdered "salsa flavors" added to the water: I used 1 cup quinoa to 1½ cups vegetable broth, I added ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons chili flakes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, bring to boil then simmer 25 minutes.
- Third layer - noocho cheese sauce / dip. Recipe follows.
- Fourth through seventh layers - layer the lettuce and scallions, then tomato, then avocado, then olives.