Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese – a combination of classic comfort food with vibrant protein packed flavor! This colorful mac brings the veggies you crave!

__________________________________________________________

So, that Matthew McConaughey.

I have always liked him, but he has become a really good actor. Really good. Real.

Jason and I waited until the season finale of True Detective, then began watching the series. One episode after another, all in one day. Yesterday. I won’t say much for those who have not seen it – those who have? let’s discuss somewhere else! – but wow. So good. I have heard some say they were disappointed in the finish, but we both liked it.

______________________

Did you know you can make a roux out of pureed spinach, coconut oil and coconut flour?

Yeah, I am positive someone or many someones will be eye-rolling and side-eyeing my spinach roux, but that is what I am calling it.

A tasty, bright green, havarti-garlic saucy roux. For pasta to tumble into:

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

This is more than sneaking veggies into your kids eats – this is pumping up your food to vibrant, flavorful and protein packed. Kids will love the green, too.

I have made this recipe two times in just over a week (I liked the tube shape rather than the corkscrew pasta). A little comfort food while getting our vegetables is never a bad thing.

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

You all know I am more interested in food that is Naturally Green, rather than foods that are traditionally associated with St. Patrick’s Day. I mean, I do love my Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island, but those aren’t even green.

Green is the color my food wears today! Are you wearing green today?

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

vibrant spinach mac and cheese

YIELD: 2 servings

dairy, egg, soy, gluten and cheese free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup water
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon coconut flour
5 ounces havarti cheese (vegan), cubed
1 garlic clove, minced
black pepper and sea salt, to taste
2 servings gluten free pasta noodles

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cook pasta according to package directions.

In blender, combine water and a small part of the spinach (about a quarter of the amount), blend to liquid. Continue adding spinach while blending, until all spinach is blended and pureed. Set aside.

In saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Whisk in flour to a smooth roux, reduce heat to low. Slowly add spinach puree, whisking constantly to a sauce. Add cubes of cheese and garlic, stir as cheese melts into a sauce. Season with pepper and sea salt. Fold in cooked pasta, coating completely with the vibrant green cheese sauce. Serve immediately.

Vibrant Spinach Mac and Cheese

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Did you watch / are you watching True Detective?

Comments

I don’t watch True Detective, but I would watch Matthew McConaughey read the phone book. Seriously. I’ve had a thing for him since “A Time to Kill.” Anyway, fun recipe! I’m not into St. Patrick’s Day, but I’m wearing green to avoid getting pinched and eat green with every meal, so I consider that to be festive 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

you’d like True Detective… it goes back and forth between present day (where McConaughey is long haired, exhausted, not ‘on the job’) and earlier time (when he and his partner Woody Harrelson were investigating this particularly heinous crime). VERY good acting by both of them!

…and yes, you know I prefer the naturally green to anything DYED green…

I never though Matthew McConaughey was a hotty and then initially thought he was becoming sort of a pigeon holed actor so I didn’t pay much attention to his movies. But he really really has surprised me. He is a great actor. And I love your genius in the kitchen!!

Man, I don’t know if I own more than one green item of clothing, and it certainly didn’t occur to me to wear it today–especially since I can make up the difference by eating all the greens in the land. :) This mac and cheese sounds fantastic–super vegetable love!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I have a brand new pair of Kelly green pants!! I just bought them, after literally years of looking (okay, I must not have been looking very hard), but yes, I have wanted a pair of green pants for a while now… VERY happy about that 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

shoot, sorry about that – do you not have access to Daiya cheese? hmmm… perhaps I can send you some!!

4. spabettie mom says

This looks awesome….also I know you are working on that ‘special’ mac n’ cheese we had the other day…..you must make that vegan….yumo

• Kristina Sloggett says

hello Clotilde! thanks for visiting, I am loving meeting folks from HVF! have a great week! Kristina

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Sue; an all purpose flour would work also; flour is used as a thickener, I imagine many flours would work here.

5. DiRon says

This recipe is delicious and simple. I was looking for a sauce to do with the spinach in my garden since there’s only so many salads and smoothies I can do. I made this today and it was soooo good. I used einkorn flour instead of coconut flour and parmesan instead of havarti. This recipe is versatile to fit any lifestyle and I will definitely be making it again, thanks!

• Kristina Sloggett says

right? between Hulk and Popeye, I have everyone covered. Mmm spinach, in comfort food form. I am making that salad AGAIN this week, for an party we are going to. It really IS going to be my Summer Salad, I think…

Kristina,
    The color of this mac and cheese looks so vibrant. Well done–I can imagine the satisfaction of a bowl of comfort food combined with the fresh flavors.
    And we just watched Interstellar–agreed on MM.

Trackbacks