vibrant spinach mac and cheese

in Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

vibrant spinach mac and cheese

So, that Matthew McConaughey.

I have always liked him, but he has become a really good actor. Really good. Real.

Jason and I waited until the season finale of True Detective, then began watching the series. One episode after another, all in one day. Yesterday. I won’t say much for those who have not seen it – those who have? let’s discuss somewhere else! – but wow. So good. I have heard some say they were disappointed in the finish, but we both liked it.

______________________

Did you know you can make a roux out of pureed spinach, coconut oil and coconut flour?

Yeah, I am positive someone or many someones will be eye-rolling and side-eyeing my spinach roux, but that is what I am calling it.

A tasty, bright green, havarti-garlic saucy roux. For pasta to tumble into:

pasta in spinach sauce

This is more than sneaking veggies into your kids eats – this is pumping up your food to vibrant, flavorful and protein packed. Kids will love the green, too.

I have made this recipe two times in just over a week (I liked the tube shape rather than the corkscrew pasta). A little comfort food while getting our vegetables is never a bad thing.

spinach mac and cheese

You all know I am more interested in food that is Naturally Green, rather than foods that are traditionally associated with St. Patrick’s Day. I mean, I do love my Reuben Rolls with Homemade Thousand Island, but those aren’t even green.

Green is the color my food wears today! Are you wearing green today?

vibrant green mac and cheese

vibrant spinach mac and cheese

YIELD: 2 servings

dairy, egg, soy, gluten and cheese free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup water
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon coconut flour
5 ounces havarti cheese (vegan), cubed
1 garlic clove, minced
black pepper and sea salt, to taste
2 servings gluten free pasta noodles

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cook pasta according to package directions.

In blender, combine water and a small part of the spinach (about a quarter of the amount), blend to liquid. Continue adding spinach while blending, until all spinach is blended and pureed. Set aside.

In saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Whisk in flour to a smooth roux, reduce heat to low. Slowly add spinach puree, whisking constantly to a sauce. Add cubes of cheese and garlic, stir as cheese melts into a sauce. Season with pepper and sea salt. Fold in cooked pasta, coating completely with the vibrant green cheese sauce. Serve immediately.

vegan spinach mac and cheese

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Did you watch / are you watching True Detective?

I shared this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Abby March 17, 2014 at 5:03 am

I don’t watch True Detective, but I would watch Matthew McConaughey read the phone book. Seriously. I’ve had a thing for him since “A Time to Kill.” Anyway, fun recipe! I’m not into St. Patrick’s Day, but I’m wearing green to avoid getting pinched and eat green with every meal, so I consider that to be festive ;)

2 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:33 pm

you’d like True Detective… it goes back and forth between present day (where McConaughey is long haired, exhausted, not ‘on the job’) and earlier time (when he and his partner Woody Harrelson were investigating this particularly heinous crime). VERY good acting by both of them!

…and yes, you know I prefer the naturally green to anything DYED green…

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 17, 2014 at 5:21 am

I never though Matthew McConaughey was a hotty and then initially thought he was becoming sort of a pigeon holed actor so I didn’t pay much attention to his movies. But he really really has surprised me. He is a great actor. And I love your genius in the kitchen!!

4 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I’ve always liked him but I agree – his last several projects have been GOOD.

5 Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living March 17, 2014 at 8:50 am

Happy St. Patty’s Day! Loving this naturally green mac and cheese to celebrate!

6 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm

THANK YOU Jeanette!

7 Jolene March 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

oh em GEE I want this!!!!

8 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm

seriously, wish you could come over!! please make this!

9 Eileen March 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

Man, I don’t know if I own more than one green item of clothing, and it certainly didn’t occur to me to wear it today–especially since I can make up the difference by eating all the greens in the land. :) This mac and cheese sounds fantastic–super vegetable love!

10 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I have a brand new pair of Kelly green pants!! I just bought them, after literally years of looking (okay, I must not have been looking very hard), but yes, I have wanted a pair of green pants for a while now… VERY happy about that ;)

11 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 17, 2014 at 2:26 pm

It’s so pretty! And it’s the color of the shirt I’m wearing right now. You’re so fancy with your roux. :)

12 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm

hee hee, thanks for calling it roux ;)

13 Katie @ Produce on Parade March 18, 2014 at 11:47 am

Haha this mac and cheese is awesome. OMG where on Earth are you finding vegan Havarti ??? I would die! Alaska doesn’t offer much in the way of vegan cheeses. Boo :(

14 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm

shoot, sorry about that – do you not have access to Daiya cheese? hmmm… perhaps I can send you some!!

15 spabettie mom March 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm

This looks awesome….also I know you are working on that ‘special’ mac n’ cheese we had the other day…..you must make that vegan….yumo

16 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:24 pm

YES, and I already have a really good idea for it too – you’ll come over next week and I’ll make us lunch! xxo

17 spabettie mom March 19, 2014 at 4:24 am

Pick a date….I’m there……(already drooling)..hee hee

18 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2014 at 6:55 am

YAY!

19 Tracy Litterer March 18, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Ended up going out for St. Patrick’s Day, so made this today – so so good!

20 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:23 pm

awesome, so happy you liked it Tracy!

21 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! March 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Vegan havarti?! I didn’t know it existed!! Thanks so much for linking up with HVF :)

22 Clotilde/Craftybegonia March 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm

That looks so good and inventive! Thanks for sharing the recipe. By the way, I’m visiting your via Healthy Vegan Fridays. Wish you the best with your adventures in vegan cooking!

23 Kristina Sloggett March 31, 2014 at 9:14 am

hello Clotilde! thanks for visiting, I am loving meeting folks from HVF! have a great week! Kristina

24 Clotilde/Craftybegonia March 31, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Hi, I am too. Glad to “meet” you and to find your savory cooking!

25 Sue May 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Do you have to use coconut flour ?

26 Kristina Sloggett May 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

hi Sue; an all purpose flour would work also; flour is used as a thickener, I imagine many flours would work here.

27 DiRon May 17, 2014 at 11:10 pm

This recipe is delicious and simple. I was looking for a sauce to do with the spinach in my garden since there’s only so many salads and smoothies I can do. I made this today and it was soooo good. I used einkorn flour instead of coconut flour and parmesan instead of havarti. This recipe is versatile to fit any lifestyle and I will definitely be making it again, thanks!

28 Kristina Sloggett May 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm