banana maca pancakes

in Breakfast,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

banana maca pancakes

Many of you by now have seen the two ingredient pancakes making the rounds on the internet (who first came up with these, seriously?) – you know, the ones that are made with egg and banana. That’s it.

banana maca pancakes

The rare occasion I eat an egg is when it is from one of my two friends who have chickens on their property – I call them their happy chickens (one of these friends has chickens Basil has met and is so very interested in…). The next time I find myself with some of these fresh eggs, I may have to give this recipe a try. In the meantime, I made up my own version.

and it’s vegan!

This recipe has more than two ingredients.

It also has protein. and maca. and deliciousness.

picasion

banana maca pancakes

adapted from sweet cream protein pancakes

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 8-10 regular size pancakes

1 banana, peeled
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup vanilla protein powder (Sunwarrior Classic vanilla)
1 1/2 tablespoons maca powder
sweetener (as needed)

Combine banana and milk in high speed blender, blend on highest speed to a smooth liquid. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, protein powder, and maca. Pour banana milk into dry ingredients, whisk until just combined.

Using 1/4 cup scoop, form pancakes onto prepared (buttered, sprayed) griddle over low heat. Pancakes will not bubble, will easily come up to turn after about one minute. Flip and cook another half minute or so, until cooked through.

Serve with sliced banana and maple syrup.

banana maca pancakes

Have you tried the egg + banana recipe? What is your favorite pancake?

1 Abby March 13, 2013 at 4:18 am

It seems like female bloggers are obsessed with pancakes, and to be honest, I don’t think an egg and a banana make up a pancake. That’s like a banana omelette, no? It needs flour or something, which is why yours look delicious! I haven’t had pancakes in years though, so perhaps I have no room to talk… ;)

2 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:29 am

I kinda have to agree ;) before this last year or so, I had not made a pancake in forever. Jason is so good at cooking them, and I was telling myself that I was not good at it… then I kindof went into a pancake frenzy for a while. Mmm.

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 13, 2013 at 5:03 am

I have done the egg-banana thing… but try it with a sweet potato. SO. Good.

Your creation looks great! I was mezmerized by the syrup animation. I’m going to go stare at it again, actually…

4 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:28 am

OOH sweet potato? that sounds fantastic. I WILL try…

5 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 13, 2013 at 6:43 am

I’ve yet to see the egg and banana pancake. I think your version with protein powder sounds way better! These look amazing! I love foods made with happy chicken eggs. ;) I need to find me some of those!

I hope you have a great day my friend! I’m thinking about you. I hope things went well with your dad the other day! Love you!

6 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:27 am

those pancakes have been everywhere ;) I love protein powder in my cakes, and the maca is always good flavor!

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 13, 2013 at 7:50 am

Still haven’t tried maca. But these pancakes look so good (even as a non-pancake eater). Love the addition of the protein. I really need to pin this recipe and make them for Jason. He’s all about pancakes and waffles. Thinking of you and your dad. Hugs!

8 Rebecca King March 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

So glad I found this site!! These pancakes look fabulous! Can’t wait to share them with my friend who suffers from celiac disease. She will absolutely love them.

9 Laryssa March 13, 2013 at 10:27 am

Would almond milk work in place of the coconut milk? My boyfriend is allergic to coconut, but I’d love to make these for him.

10 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:22 am

hi Laryssa – I have not tried almond milk with this recipe, but it should work okay? almond milk is a bit thinner, but that should not matter here. enjoy!

11 Emanuelle March 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm

They look so delicious! I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow!! :)

12 janetha March 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm

uhhh that syrup gif is amaze

13 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:21 am

I love to create those…

14 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I haven’t made the two ingredient pancakes yet. While I normally love less ingredients, these two are too very odd for me. I need flour, baking soda, eggs. I’m a traditionalist of sorts. Then again, never say never, and I love the addition od Maca.

15 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:20 am

yeah, not sure I’d get on board either – sure, I’d probably have to try them once, but I’m like you – pancakes need some fluffy flour!

16 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts March 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I actually like the egg and banana pancakes, but I’m an egg eater. I’ve used the recipe with other fruits successfully, too. But no matter, this recipe looks absolutely delicious, Kristina! :-) I always love your videos, too. That syrup coming down … YUM!

xo,
Shirley

17 purelytwins March 14, 2013 at 7:52 am

we love just about any pancake ;)
we have made some similar to the 2 ingredient pancake, there are so many versions of it hehe just like so many other recipes out there in the blogging world these days.
love the addition of protein and maca!!!

18 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

Woo hoo! Animated GIF! I’m just going to sit here for 20 minutes staring at it–don’t mind me.

I actually haven’t heard of that 2 ingredient pancake recipe before, but I suppose I’m going to have to try it. Somehow I think your version of banana pancakes is much more delicious, though. :)

19 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

since I posted about it, I have been hearing mixed reviews – some LOVE it and others… meh. but yes, if I were a regular egg eater I am positive I’d give it a try too!

20 Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen March 14, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Yum your pancakes look so good! I love the idea of adding maca too!

21 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:03 am

thanks, Rosie! the maca gives great flavor…

22 Kim - Liv Life March 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Love the protein addition you have here! Liv adores pancakes and I’m always looking for ways to add protein… brilliant!

23 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 6:25 am

Liv is a smart cookie – who doesn’t love pancakes?

24 Alexander Willow Harvey March 16, 2013 at 3:20 am

Absolutely must try these! They look delish!

25 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

thank you Alexander!

26 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

It might have more than two ingredients….but it still loks like a great recipe. [And from what I know about maca...also an early morning aphrodesiac? ;)]

Maybe these pancakes–which I have not seen, clearly not reading enough blogs–were how I should have test driven my dive back into the world of eggs.

27 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

ooh, YES that might be a good way – DO it. having not tried them myself, I am hearing mixed reviews – seems if you BLEND the banana + egg you get better results, from reports I am hearing back!

28 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Ahhhh! LOVE the animated syrup action shot!! I’ve tried the two ingredient pancakes before. They came out SUPER sweet (since essentially, you’re eating egg and caramelized banana)…way to sweet to have with syrup, in my opinion. They were ok, but I definitely prefer a fluffier pancake.

Seriously? You’re not gonna make ME chose a favorite pancake are you?! ;)

29 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2013 at 7:34 am

okay, you get a pass in answering that question. but come ON, don’t you have … well, a Top 5? 10?

I prefer a fluffier cake too – good to know, even if I do get my hands on some of those HappyChickenEggs, I may pass ;)

30 Beth @ Tasty Yummies March 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm

These look amazing!! I love that there is flour in there too, I agree just egg and banana hardly makes a pancake. It may be good and flat but give me some fluffy carbs!! ;)

Love that syrup animation too. SO FUN!

31 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:21 am

right? I like a fluffy pancake too – it’s just a different thing…

32 Anja April 21, 2013 at 11:32 am

OH. EM. GEE. I am so excited to try these! I did a version I found on the Sunwarrior web site (that I love)… But these look even better! There’s just something about pancakes and bananas, isn’t there? And I love the bit about your friends’ happy chickens. I’ve been vegan for nearly 18 years, but I completely support that idea <3