strawberry lemon rice crispies

in dehydrator,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Valentines Day,Vegan

strawberry lemon rice crispies

Yesterday was World Cancer Day.

Yesterday was the day I spent the morning with my dad and the head of oncology at our hospital. Hearing a new cancer diagnosis, with an accompanying recommendation of a laryngectomy. Dad will have his voice box removed permanently, and with it, the cancer. Hopefully permanently.

Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday. Which is a good thing, because I will not be able to think of anything else until then.

strawberry lemon rice crispies

I want to say Thank You, again. Thank you to all of you who continue to pray and send good thoughts, ask about Dad and ask about me. You all have made this experience much more bearable. Sometimes, even happy.

I think it is appropriate that I originally made this recipe as a Thank You for someone who has been a huge lifesaver to me.

My strawberry lemon rice crispies are dessert number two in my Vegan Valentines series, and they are one of my favorite recipes for rice crispy treats. Bright lemon flavor and sweet strawberries throughout – a unique flavor for a crispy treat – a good one.

strawberry lemon rice crispies

strawberry lemon rice crispies

dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 9-12 squares

2 tablespoons coconut oil
10 oz package marshmallows (Dandies vegan!)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons beet juice (optional for color)

5 cups rice puffs
3/4 cup dehydrated strawberry pieces

Melt coconut oil in saucepan, add marshmallows. Stir over medium heat until melted, add beet juice, lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat, add rice puffs and strawberries, stir until combined. Press into prepared pan – 9×9 square makes tall rice crispies!

strawberry lemon rice crispies

I’m making a batch of these to bring to the nurses Thursday. I know many by name now.

1 Abby February 5, 2013 at 4:26 am

I’m not so into lemon flavored things at all, but I AM into the dad updates, so thank you for that. As always, you guys are in my thoughts–even more than usual.

And food is love. We back things for the nurses and aids at the old people home every week, just to say “thanks” and let them know we appreciate all they do for Gram (and give them a little incentive to pamper her, too.) Mom will bring pizzas, breads, cookies, etc. and a little goes a long way. It’s important to let them know how much we care!

2 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:52 am

thanks, Abby – we definitely feel the love over here, I tell Dad there are so many friends sending love from all over the world.

everyone knows I love to cook, and when I am stressed (especially if Dad is in the hospital!), I am often up at midnight, cooking… so it’s nice to be able to share with the staff that is taking care of dad.

3 lindsay February 5, 2013 at 4:56 am

james would love these! but anything you make is amazing. Please keep us posted on dad. Saying prayers for YOU BOTH!

4 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

your prayers mean so much, Linds. I will keep you posted XO

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 5, 2013 at 5:06 am

Those are so pretty!! I am really glad they are able to get the surgery done sooner rather than later. Thinking about you and your dad.

6 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

I am too – when I was speaking with the doc yesterday, he said “anytime in the next few weeks” yes, even after all we’ve been through? seemed unbearable. when I got the call for Thursday, I rescheduled everything.

thank you again, Heather – I appreciate you more than you know.

7 Nichole February 5, 2013 at 5:27 am

You know how to take lemons and turn them into krispie treats. Wishing your dad a speedy recovery, and hoping the next few days fly by!

In my thoughts and prayers!

8 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:45 am

and you are always so clever with words ;) thank you SO much, friend … I hope your wishes come true!

9 katie February 5, 2013 at 5:28 am

I am saying prayers, sending love, and sending strength <3

I am sorry to hear he has to have his voice box removed, BUT if this eliminates the cancer, god bless! I am praying it does!

Love to you, dad, and all the family <3 I will be thinking of you guys <3

10 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:45 am

I agree – this is tough and I know he did not want it to come to this, but if I get to keep my dad, this is what we do.

thank you SO MUCH, dear friend – you have been such an amazing source of smiles and positivity for me!

11 Jess February 5, 2013 at 5:35 am

Oh friend, I’m continuing to send love, strength, prayer and GIANT hugs to you and your family as you continue down this path with your dad. And a giant dose of prayer coming for Thursday, surgery day, that He guides those doctors hands, successfully removing all traces of cancer. Love you friend. xoxo

12 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:43 am

oh Jess, this made me cry (in a GOOD way, I promise!). I so appreciate your words, your prayers, your constant support <3

13 Jeanette February 5, 2013 at 5:42 am

Sending prayers and hugs your way. I’m sure the nurses will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

14 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:42 am

thank you SO much, Jeanette – we appreciate your prayers and warm thoughts.

15 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 5, 2013 at 6:16 am

Good luck to your dad. I hope you get the good news that this does the trick.

I’m a huge fan of lemon desserts and now that spring is teasing us with warmer temps here in the south, I”m definitely craving it. Will definitely be saving these for later.

16 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:42 am

thank you, Alayna… I sure hope so too.

we have had a few glimpses of spring here too – I can smell it in the air – I cannot wait!

17 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 5, 2013 at 7:24 am

Hugs, prayers, thoughts, and all things positive to you and your dad!

These make me smile. They are like healthier Fruity Pebbles. And we all love Fruity Pebbles. [Or is that just me? Colored milk! Maybe?]

18 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:40 am

thanks so much Sarah – we both appreciate that :)

you know, I have never had fruity pebbles?

19 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 5, 2013 at 7:25 am

Ooooohhh Kris … :( So sorry to hear about your Dad’s new diagnosis! Both Peter and I are sending our warmest thoughts and kindest wishes for your Dad to recover from this terrible disease!

Love and hugs! <3

20 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:37 am

thanks so much, Dear Kath and Peter <3

21 christina February 5, 2013 at 7:26 am

Pink!!! You should make heart-shaped ones. :)

22 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 7:36 am

I KNOW!! it was one of those D’OH moments when I realized I should have used my heart shaped cutter. AFTER these were gone. *sigh* the batch for the nurses will be hearts :)

23 Julie Hasson February 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

What a super delicious creative twist on Rice Krispie treats! And so cute too.

I will be thinking of you and your dad on Thursday Kristina, sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you!

24 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 9:07 am

thank you Julie!! we need all the good vibes and prayers we can get, and we appreciate every one. XO

25 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 5, 2013 at 8:05 am

Sending healthy vibes to your dad. I hope that surgery goes perfect and you’re able to soon say CANCER FREE! (Or should I say SCREAM it from the roof tops)

These rice crispies sound awesome!! I’m a huge fan of rice crispies, but always forget to make them!! :)

26 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

thanks so much, Jessica – I sure hope so too.

27 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator February 5, 2013 at 8:46 am

Thinking of all of you this week my friend…

28 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

thanks so much, Stephanie.

29 Roz@weightingfor50 February 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hi Kris, Sending a HUGE hug to you and your Dad. That kinda sounds stalker-ish doesn’t it? Considering we’ve never met…but I feel I know you, and please know I’m sending good wishes down to your Dad and of course to you and the furbabies. I’m sure Thursday can’t come soon enough – the waiting is the hardest part! Take care!!!

30 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I don’t think so at all, Roz – I accept the hug! :) I appreciate your support and friendship – so much!

31 Fran - Mom 2 February 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

Hi sweetie – I am so sorry you and your dad have to go thru this. You are both in my prayers . If you ever need to talk to someone, I’m here. I live you Kris!!

32 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm

thank you, Mom #2!! I appreciate you so! lets please get together soon, when things calm down?

33 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

Kristina… I don’t even know what to say. I am so, so sorry to hear you guys are having to go through this. Cancer is an evil beast. Thinking of you and your dad. xo

34 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

thank you, Laura, that means a lot.

35 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

What a tough decision, but if it gets rid of the cancer for good, I’m sure that’s worth it. I’ll keep praying for you, your dad, and family – keep us updated on the surgery on Thursday!

36 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I sure hope so… thank you so much, Heather – your support means so much.

37 Laura Beckett February 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

♥ xoxooxox ♥

38 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm

XXO back atcha.

39 Bianca-Vegan Crunk February 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hope the surgery goes okay!!!! And I hope it takes care of the cancer and makes it go away forever!!!

40 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm

thank you, Bianca!

41 lili February 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm

OMg…. hope ur dad will be ok.. im so sorry.. prayers and wishes of good luck to your family

42 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm

thank you SO much.

43 jobo February 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I’ll be thinking of you and your dad and family on Thursday and pray everything goes smoothly. I hope it gets rid of the cancer for good. ((hugs)) (and this recipe looks divine!)

44 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm

that is what we are all hoping – thank you SO much, my friend XO

45 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm

My friend, I am so incredibly sorry about all of this. My heart goes out to both of you since I know it’s not easy either way. I just want to give you a big hug. I’m hear if you need me! Love you lady!

46 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm

thank you, Sarena – for your support and for always listening – it means more than you know.

47 Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom February 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love that you used beet juice for the color here! What a great idea! Love it!

48 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm

beet juice works really well – I’ve made things even darker pink before, so fun!

49 Nicole (MyLoveForCooking) February 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm

This is the first I have ever seen your lovely page. First I want to send love and strength to you and your family at this time. My own father battled Cancer as well so I know a lot of how you must feel. It seems you have a wealth of beautiful support here and I am glad to join them. Last but certainly not least this looks beautiful and sounds amazing. I look forward to checking out more of your work. :)

50 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm

thank you so much, Nicole – I appreciate that. so happy you found me, please keep in touch if you try anything or have requests! :)

51 Purelymichelle February 5, 2013 at 7:37 pm

yummy!!! and love the color too

52 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

thanks! fun, right? you could make these with your marshmallows! :D

53 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

We all have you and your family in our thoughts Kristina! I wish you didn´t have to go through this. May tomorrow be a good day, we´ll be thinking of you.

54 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:46 pm

thank you so much, Paula – I appreciate it more than you know.

55 Jillian February 6, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Oh love. Hugs to you and your family.

56 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm

thank you, friend.

57 Caitlin February 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Sending love and prayers!

58 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:32 pm

59 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your father, and I hope it all works out ok. I’ll be sending happy, hopeful, healing thoughts your way.

60 Kristina Sloggett February 6, 2013 at 6:28 pm

thank you so much, Meghan – you don’t know how much I appreciate that.

61 Jodi@Garlic Girl February 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hi Kristina,
I just came across your post on the California Strawberries’ FB page and wanted to let you know I’m praying for you and your dad. I lost my daddy to cancer and recently lost my mom and I was very comforted by folks reaching out to me on my little tribute to her on my blog. It just reminds me how love and caring is truly the answer in this world.
xoxo Jodi

62 Kristina Sloggett February 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm

thank you SO much, Jodi – that means so much to me. I am very sorry for your losses, truly. thank you for reaching out – it really does make such a difference to just receive positive messages from friends – even online ones :)

thanks so much, Kristina

63 Rosemary February 10, 2013 at 6:39 am

Kristina,
I just stumbled across your recipe on Pinterest and came away with a blessing. All the people praying for you and you’re dad during this hard, hard, time comforted me and I’m not in your situation. I do know that prayer makes such a huge difference though. One year ago this month my sons girlfriend found two weeks before her 18th birthday that she had a type of bone cancer most common in kids 10 and younger . The doctor told her during one of the first visits the he want sure she would survive. Her reply? ‘Yes I will. Good told me I would.’ She has been through chemo, stem stern cell harvest, more chemo, surgery to remove the tumor, more chemo, stem cell transplant, more chemo, radiation….and she is cancer free. She turns 19 this week and boy does she have a testimony!. I will be praying for your dad to have a speedy recovery and to adjust quickly to this new set of circumstances. I will also be praying for you both to have the physical, mental, and spiritual strength you need throughout this journey.

64 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:43 am

hi Rosemary,

thank you. thank you SO MUCH.

hearing stories of young people (kids, really, who should never have to deal with cancer!) with such amazing attitudes and positive outlooks, wow – that is just so heart warming. and I truly believe in the power of positive thinking, it does so much in the healing process. I am happy to hear she fought and won – that is wonderful news and I send positive energy her way, and your way!

thank you for the prayers, for all aspects, yes. it does take mental, emotional and spiritual strength as well. Bless you.

Kristina

65 Richa February 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

I will be praying for your Dad and you too Kristina. Hope everything goes well.
Take care.

66 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:20 am

thank you, Richa!

67 Magic and Mayhem February 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm

These look delicious, and I love that they’re made red and flavored naturally. Thank you!

Hugs for the diagnosis and upcoming surgery. We were there last year, when my 14 y/o was diagnosed with parotid (salivary gland) cancer (the first surgery was the day after her birthday). It was a very tough summer but after 2 surgeries and a very long wait for the 90 day follow up CAT-PT scan, she was declared cancer free. We’ll have to monitor her for the next few years, but all looks good.

Sending love and light.

~Alicia

68 Kristina Sloggett February 13, 2013 at 6:17 am

thank you SO much, Alicia – I so appreciate your thoughts. I am hopeful, and hearing stories like your daughters keep that hope alive – very happy to hear she is doing well!

Kristina

69 Rosa March 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Kristina, I too stumbled upon your page from Pinterest. My heart goes out to you and your father. We went through a similar situation with my grandmother, many years ago. Here voice box was removed after being diagnosed with throat cancer. She was so strong about losing her voice yet it was so hard for me to see her initially struggling with how how to best communicate. But being the mother of 11 and grandmother of 20+ it did not take long to master a new way to communicate…lots of notes, animated expressions and hugs! I wish you and your father the best! …and thanks for the recipe.

70 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 7:32 am

THANK YOU Rosa, for this kind and hopeful message! Dad is doing SO well with his speech therapy, and is writing on handheld white boards and texting like crazy on his phone!

I have always known that a good attitude goes a long way and has a huge impact on so much, and I have seen just that this year with my dad – it sounds like your grandmother is the same positive kind of person!

thanks again for reaching out, and with such a hopeful message. my best to you!

71 Chelsey Jahn April 18, 2013 at 6:45 am

Hi! I just stumbled upon your recipe and was wondering if fresh strawberries could be used in place of dehydrated strawberries? Thanks!

72 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm

hi Chelsey, I have made these only with dehydrated; not sure how fresh berries would work here – if you dry them really well (if you are going to chop them, pat them dry after chopping) they will probably be okay, the moisture might make the cereal chewy? and the rice crispies will probably have a shorter “shelf life” but, come on – how long do they last anyway? :) let me know how it goes if you try! Kristina