broccoli cheese muffins

in appetizers,baking,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Vegan

broccoli cheese muffins

Hello, muffin – what’s that you’re hiding?

Under your cheesy crispy exterior, inside your fluffy buttery crumb, I spy a hidden broccoli tree!

When I made pepperoni chili, I wanted to pair it with a muffin. I knew from the tastes as it simmered all day that this chili was going to be epic – I needed an equally knock your socks off muffin to accompany it.

broccoli cheese muffins

The recipe I found is epic, this I guarantee.

The flavor is buttery and cheesy and if comfort was a flavor, I’d say that too.

These are crispy yet soft, light yet substantial. The extra fun is a full tree of broccoli inside each muffin - always a popular trick.

broccoli cheddar muffins

The original recipe is the genius of Kate from Food Babbles.

The changes I made:

full trees of broccoli inserted into muffin rather than chopped broccoli mixed in

apple cider vinegar + coconut milk in place of buttermilk

gluten free all purpose flour, plus 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

vegan cheddar cheese, flax egg

See full recipe here.

broccoli cheese muffins

and then make these muffins as soon as it is possible.

1 lindsay January 25, 2013 at 4:13 am

done and done! so making these. Love the ACV and coconut milk combo!

2 Tommy January 25, 2013 at 5:29 am

how cool are these, I can’t wait to make a broccoli filled muffin just like this – and you’ve sold me on the recipe, it sounds delish!

3 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

TOM. Make. These. Too Too Too TOODAY, Junior!! ;)

4 Beth March 20, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I love Billy Madison ;-)

5 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 9:09 am

woo HOO! ;)

6 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 25, 2013 at 5:34 am

You just kill me every morning with your recipes!! I love the ACV + almond milk trick. I doubted it at first, but it works so well. Can you send me some of those for lunch please?? Hope you’re having a nice Friday!

7 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

when I first heard about the acv + milk to replace buttermilk, I remember being So Dang Excited. I don’t know if it was all the messing around I used to do at my microbiology lab job, or all the messing around I do in the kitchen, I just had a feeling it would work…

8 Faith January 25, 2013 at 5:38 am

Oh my gosh, I think these get the award for the cutest muffins ever!! Bet they were fantastic with that chili!

9 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel January 25, 2013 at 6:13 am

Aww these are so cute!! I looooove the little trees inside! How many did you have to cut open to find the perfect one? ;) #foodbloggerproblems

10 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

haa HAA – you are so funny.

I opened five. ;)

11 Caroline January 25, 2013 at 6:32 am

I remember the first version you made, so cute! This recipe looks like a good one, thanks for sharing it with us, and a fun new blog to stalk as well LOL ;)

12 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

aww – I wondered if anyone would remember, so happy it was YOU! :D I put whole broccoli in muffins quite often, but haven’t shared again until now… this recipe is FANTASTIC so I hope you do try it soon! and yes – have fun over at Kate’s blog, she’s great!

13 Kate | Food Babbles January 25, 2013 at 7:10 am

I’m so happy you liked these muffins. Love the alterations you made, especially that whole broccoli floret in there! Wish I had thought to do that. So cute and I bet my daughters would love that. Gonna need to make more broccoli muffins now!

14 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

Kate the muffin recipe is FANTASTIC! even with my gluten free flours, these came out fluffy and light – I love them! I hope your daughter gets as much of a delight from the whole tree as I always do! :)

15 Kate | Food Babbles January 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’m so happy to hear they turned out so well!

16 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 25, 2013 at 7:13 am

I love how the muffing look like they’re growing little trees inside! I actually am not a fan of cooked broccoli but I totally want to try this with cauliflower!

17 Abby January 25, 2013 at 7:51 am

I eat steamed broccoli every night with my dinner (don’t judge) and it’s certainly my favorite vegetable. Cover it in dairy-free cheese and I dare you to find someone who wouldn’t eat these freaking adorable muffins up.

18 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

I would never judge – in college, for probably more than a year, my dinner began each night with one of those large bamboo steamers – one level filled with cauliflower, one filled with broccoli – steamed.

19 Ashley F. January 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

So. Darn. Cute! I will have to make these just to show off how incredibly adorable they are – just like I would a small child or puppy :)

20 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

they ARE cute like a puppy, aren’t they? :D

21 janetha January 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

SO CUTE! You are the cute food QUEEN.

22 Kalyn January 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

VERY fun!

23 Bea January 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Oh, such beautiful, delicious looking muffins :) Love them, and also your info on the replacement for buttermilk,.

It must be a broccoli kind of week, as we are having broccoli today :)

24 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

the non dairy milk + acv really does work well – you can probably use any non dairy milk – I almost always have coconut so that’s what gets used! happy Friday!

25 Eileen January 25, 2013 at 1:21 pm

OMG, whole branches of broccoli embedded in a muffin? YOU WIN ONE INTERNET. Also probably the wholehearted love of any children who otherwise don’t eat their broccoli. :)

26 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm

the love of their parents, at least! ;) hee, thanks – I love Internet Wins!

27 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Genius – you know I love stuffing veggies in different places like this! Adding this to my list for sure!

28 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

yay! seriously, this muffin is GOOD (and the broccoli is just good fun!).

29 Purelymichelle January 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm

too cute!!! love this

30 Aden Hailemariam January 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Here’s the thing: Daiya cheddar wedge and broccoli are AMAZING together. You know, all hot together. And so, this muffin recipe is, too!

31 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 5:22 pm

hi Aden! you know the new Daiya wedges are my favorite… one GOOD thing about them (their awesome melt-ability!) was a concern for me here – I thought it might work against a muffin… so I DID use a small amount of the Daiya cheddar (you KNOW I had to!), but I paired it with a less melty cheese – it was the Follow Your Heart brand, I think. so a good balance of both, and the muffins were fantastic! :D

32 Barbara | Creative Culinary January 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Now how cute is that? I’m sure it tastes wonderful but I just love that little broccoli tree in the center!

33 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:54 am

I know, the surprise tree is my favorite part! :)

34 Wendy @ CookingQuinoa January 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

You always amaze me with your creativity Kristina! I think this just may be the solution to get my boys to eat their broccoli. (Though I may go the chopped route to increase my chances of success.) Carrot muffins worked to get my youngest to eat carrots so it’s worth a shot. Worse case scenario….I’ll get the whole batch to myself. Hmm…on second though, maybe I’ll skip the chopping.

35 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

haa – yes, having a batch to yourself is not a bad thing either. OH, or you could make a bread loaf out of this batter… just a hint, I did this too, and the recipe I made with the bread will be coming soon. SO GOOD! ;)

36 Alexandra January 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

These are awesome! I’m loving your description of buttery, cheesy muffins with the crispiness and the light, softness. I’ve got to try these. :) I especially love the brocolli “trees” – so neat!

37 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:51 am

YES I hope you do try these muffins – a couple people already have, and they are agreeing this recipe is SO GOOD! :) and yes, the trees are just fun, right? enjoy!

38 barbara January 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks for the inspiration. The broccoli cheese muffins were delicious. Just starting out blogging my recipes… when i post this one i’ll be sure to include my web page. I’ve linked u (at least i have the etiquette thing down ;))

39 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

glad you enjoyed them, such a good recipe, right? cheers!

40 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 29, 2013 at 4:51 am

Those are just so flippin’ CUTE. [I mean, I'm sure they are delicious, too, but I am so captivated by the broccoli trees. Clearly, I am a small child.]

41 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:58 am

this is one of my favorite things to make, especially if I know kids will be around! :)

42 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I love the hidden broccoli in these muffins, how perfect to serve with soup!

43 Kristina Sloggett February 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

yes, they are great with soup too – I love to slice one open and set each piece inside the soup, so you can see the broccoli :)

44 Sarah E April 25, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Hi folks- I’m a little late to the game here but I just found this recipe and need to use up some broccoli! My question is: the original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup of buttermilk but your substitution (which I LOVE) seems like much less. You link to the Banana Chai muffins which call for ½ cup coconut milk + 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar. So, is that a 1:1 substitution? Or should we do 1 cup coconut milk + 3 tsp ACV to get closer to the 1 1/4 cup?? Thanks for any help here!!

45 Kristina Sloggett April 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm

hi Sarah, SO SORRY I am just seeing this – I was at the Engine 2 Retreat all weekend :) YES, you should use closer to the same amount of liquid as the buttermilk in the original recipe; I was simply referring to the mixture in the banana chai muffin, not the amount – VERY sorry if that was not clear. so the 1 cup coconut milk + 2 teaspoon ACV sounds perfect! enjoy!