salted caramel cheesecake

Last Saturday, I assisted in my very first cooking class! My friend was teaching her first class, and wanted me there for moral support and to help field questions, do prep, talk to the rather large crowd and plate our food in a pretty presentation.

The class subject was tofu and seitan, and we demoed four recipes. It was very fun, it was very exciting, it was very delicious and I was asked to teach some of my own (eek!). Also? I think I said yes.

The thought both scares and thrills me.

I have taught many a skincare class and technique, never a food or cooking class. Now that I’ve been behind the counter (they have the overhead tilty mirror and everything!), I do believe I am hooked.

I have spent much time this week thinking of recipes I could demo. The focus of the series is vegan and raw, so I suppose I could come up with a few ideas.

My salted caramel cheesecake would be a good recipe to teach – at first mention of the name, it sounds fantastically amazing, yes? and I promise you it is. It is also sugar free, dairy, egg and gluten free, and raw. One of those stealth desserts that impress.

I would make one ahead of time to have on hand, you know, like television. Then I could prep each of the steps and assemble the layers. We must make enough food for all class students to sample (30-40 people on average!), so there’s the reason for the make ahead cake – and I could just take the class cake home.

I’m kinda totally excited about the possibility of teaching my own classes…

salted caramel cheesecake

dairy, egg, oil, soy, gluten and sugar free, vegan, raw

makes one 9 inch cheesecake

raw pecan crust

1 cup pecans
1 1/2 cups Medjool dates

Line a 9 inch spring-form pan with parchment. In food processor, pulse hazelnuts to a fine crumb. Add dates, process until combined completely. Press into spring-form pan.

salted caramel cream sauce

1/2 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup water*
1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, soaked
raw sea salt, to taste (Moroccan Atlantic raw coarse sea salt)
*add more water for a more liquid sauce; for this recipe I wanted a thick salted caramel layer
In food processor, combine cashews and water to make a cashew cream. Add dates and raw salt, process to a creamy smooth sauce. Set aside (this will be used as the cheesecake sweetener and the top layer).

cheesecake layer

2 cups cashews, soaked several hours
juice of two lemons
1/2 cup salted caramel cream sauce (see recipe above)
1/2 cup Irish moss paste (see instructions here)

Process cashews in food processor, add lemon juice and blend until creamy. Add caramel sauce and Irish moss, blending until incorporated and mixture is smooth. Spread in an even layer over crust. Pour / spoon salted caramel cream over cheesecake layer, smooth in an even layer. Place in refrigerator to set.

My salted caramel cheesecake recipe was featured on Tasty Yummies Thanksgiving Series.

Comments

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, I am pretty excited about it… salted caramel has become one of my favorites lately – I just cannot stop!

• Kristina Sloggett says

yep – I thought of that but the raspberry sauce was easier at the time (and prettier for a photo?) 😉

• Kristina Sloggett says

aww, thank you! I know, I wish ALL of my friends could be there, SO FUN! maybe one day… you should try a cheesecake, they really are easy and oooh so good!

Bravo to you for assisting in the class – the only time I’ve done something similar was years ago for part of a yoga certification I was doing, I volunteered to teach a group of yogis how to make easy, raw, vegan food…and I gave a demo to about 25 people for about an hour or 90 mins and it was SO nerve-racking! Glad you survived:)

And this cheesecake looks divine – with all these layers and flavors going on!

• Kristina Sloggett says

yep, I survived – I THRIVED. we had so much fun, and I really felt okay up there… I am looking forward to where this takes me!

• Kristina Sloggett says

thank you, Jean – that means a lot coming from you! I hope you enjoy the cake – let me know what you think of the Irish moss!

Yet again, I wonder why we have to live so far apart–I would love to sign up for a cooking class series with you! Especially one that’s all vegan and raw. And involves cheesecake. That I get to eat.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I really felt comfortable up there, I really think I could totally dig this kind of thing. I’d love to have you in my class, Liz!

3. Lora @cakeduchess says

You tempted me on facebook w/all those dessert photos the other night. This cheesecake sounds incredible! I think you’ll rock the class and wish I could be a student of yours:)

Ohhh friend, I am so behind on YOU! How awesome is this?? I can’t wait to hear ALL ABOUT this adventure of yours!!!! And in the meantime, I die at the thought of salted caramel cheesecake. Holy yum.

5. Tonia Davis-Evans says

This looks so delicious! Could you suggest a replacement for Irish Moss or would it be OK to leave it out? I am allergic to iodine and sulfur and Irish Moss contains both :(

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Tonia! you can absolutely leave it out – the Irish moss adds a fluffy texture, so this will have the same delicious flavor, it will just be more dense. Enjoy!

6. Augustine says

Hello!
    I”m trying to get to this delicious looking recipe but the page won’t load!
    Perhaps the mention on Veg News crashed it?
    I’d love to make it tonight. Would you be able to email over the recipe please? Or maybe post a new link?
    I’d be so grateful!!!!
    Thanks!

• Kristina Sloggett says

hello Augustine!

I am very sorry you were having trouble accessing the recipe; it has had very good coverage and you are not the first who could not get the page to load. I have updated the post here on my site to include the recipe – if you come back to this page you should see it.

Thank you, enjoy the cheesecake, and my apologies again!

Cheers! Kristina

7. Polly says

This looks great, I’m going to make it with a brownie crust for a birthday.

I have a question about the caramel – you say to add 1/2 a cup to the bottom cheesecake layer, and then you say to add the caramel to the top of the cake. Does the recipe for the caramel make enough for both lots – ie do you make the caramel as per your instructions, add 1/2 cup of it to the cashew cream, and then spread the rest on top? Or do I need to make an extra half cup of the caramel?

Thanks!

Hey! This looks amazing! The only thing I’m a little concerned about is the Irish moss. It’s carageenan right? Would it be possible to make the cheesecake without the Irish moss? What does it do to the recipe?

Thanks so much! Following you on Pinterest :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Corey! yes, Irish moss is something some people avoid because of the carrageenan – it makes dairy free cheesecakes more fluffy, light. You can definitely make a cashew based cheesecake without it!

Trackbacks