Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates – a uniquely sweet and spicy surprise inside a rich dark chocolate shell – a fun and impressive bite for any occasion. Cheers!

_____________________________________________________

Regular readers know I love chocolate, I love to make all kinds of truffles and nut butter cups. Regulars also know I like to do things differently around here, using ingredients in unconventional ways.

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

When I realized I had chosen to do an entire month of Treats and Sweets for Vegan Mofo, I knew the Meatless Mondays would be a challenge.

I looked at the list and immediately had this idea when I saw jalapeño week.

Guys, welcome to jalapeño week.

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

Instead of my standard truffle, I fancied things up a bit and used chocolate molds. These are so fun, and they are so easy. Really.

…and even more fancy? I dusted some of them with an edible confectionary pearl dust. For the chocolate shapes, I chose two molds – a classic square dome and an awesome faceted shape.

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

The flavors are unconventional, but they work! They work well! The agave elevated the sweetness of the berries and enhanced the spicy jalapeno as well, and surrounding it with dark chocolate is the perfect finish. Chocolate with a spicy sweet surprise inside.

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12 chocolates

5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced fine
1/3 cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons agave
chocolate molds (found at craft store)

In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate until smooth. Spoon a small amount into each mold, and using a small paintbrush, coat the mold completely. Place in refrigerator for 5 minutes or until chocolate has set. Remove from fridge, repeat – brushing another layer of chocolate to coat, making a thick layer of chocolate ‘shell’. Cool in refrigerator until set.

Meanwhile, mash raspberries together with agave and finely minced jalapeño. Fill each mold with raspberry jalapeño filling, leaving room at the top to seal with more chocolate. Reheat remaining chocolate and fill each mold, covering the filling completely. Tap molds on counter to remove any bubbles, return to refrigerator to set.

Raspberry Jalapeño Chocolates

I cannot wait to make more chocolates!

I love jalapeño week.

Other recipes featuring jalapeño:

spicy cinnamon three bean chili

[faux] huevos a la Mexicana enchilada

jalapeno poppers two ways – spicy and cheddar

jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwich

seven layer dip with noocho cheese

artichoke shiitake ceviche

jalapeno peach smoothie

jalapeno margarita

Comments

I know, the dust was super fun. I need more, I need ALL of the colors now. and yes, I bet this would be a good ice cream! hot but cool at the same time! maybe even a habanero!

I know… I think these will be part of holiday gifts this year… hmm, maybe not the jalapeno… at least not for everyone. 😉

The Jalapeño Chocolates look yummy. Chocolate mixes so well with some of the wildest flavours. You would do well to drink a nice spicy red wine with it to further expand the flavour.
    Also love the Jalapeño Tequila – I must try that one.

the jalapeno tequila is very good! and I still have a few of the chocolates, I will save some for the next time we open a red!

I love that we both went for spicy & sweet on this one! Seriously, you make the best-looking desserts–opening up a chocolate shop any time soon? ;D

Oh Wow! They look soooo good. I’d totally try one. I’m hesitant to cook with jalapenos because I ended up really burning my hands working with peppers before. Tips on how to not feel like my hands are on fire?

hi Jenni! if you really like jalapenos, maybe wear gloves? I rarely even feel anything with jalapenos (I cook with them a lot so I must have a high heat tolerance!) :) with habaneros and arbol chiles I do have to be careful, though – they can make my hands hurt!

Raspberry, jalapeno and chocolate? They are all my favorites. What a great idea of making raspberry jalapeno chocolate, have never thought about connecting these three all together. Inspiration :)

I can’t tell you how happy I am that you have the added challenge of treats & sweets for MMAZ, because this looks amazing and I love the heat in this dessert treat!! I think I’m going to steal your idea of recapping related ingredient recipes from the past too – it’s a great way to remember what other things you’ve created that I might have missed!

making this month’s ingredients sweet has been fun – and I think I have a plan for the last ones too! so so fun, this is definitely one of my favorite weeks!

Those sound SOOO delicious!! I looove spicy flavors with sweet ones or chocolate. I’m mostly raw vegan so I make my own treats when I want really decadent things like this, but I’ve never successfully made what I think of as candy, like these amazing looking things… might be harder when making your own chocolate from cocoa powder etc. But I’d love to try!

P.S. Hello, fellow Portland blogger! =)

yay, hello Suzannah! I am excited to have finally found the Portland group!

nice to find another vegan, as well… I took an awesome cooking class this summer and several days of it was raw. I am loving the raw um, “cooking” more and more. Have you ever made your own chocolate? I have a friend that just posted about making your own chocolate, part of his “Unprocessed October”. Definitely something I’d like to try!

• Kristina Sloggett says

me too! I have a wasabi peanut butter cup too – I’ll pin that one! (thanks for the invite, this may be my new favorite board!)

• Kristina Sloggett says

um, those are THE CUTEST elephants!! I love that mold! also? thanks for showing me a new site that I just spent too much time on, and have a cart full of fun things from! 😀 xxo

7. Elise says

These were AWESOME (and easy! my first time playing with chocolate). I got adventurous and also made a chili mango filling, too. The raspberry and jalapeño combo was surprisingly divinely delicious!

• Kristina Sloggett says

I agree, Rachel! I remember after making these I was thinking of what else I could make with those flavors…

I love chocolate and chile. And the faceted truffle reminds me of the 20-sided die I’d use when I played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid. (Except those dice were not edible….)

• Kristina Sloggett says

ha! love it. I never played, but had friends who did… and yes, chocolate and chile are always good together, and the sweet raspberry just elevates that greatness to a new level. cheers!

Trackbacks

1. […] Fill each mold with mint chocolate filling, leaving room at the top to seal with more chocolate. Reheat remaining chocolate and fill each mold, covering the filling completely. Tap molds on counter to remove any bubbles, return to refrigerator to set. See step by step photos of this process here. […]

2. […] of chocolate, they look super cool too! Get unconventional with your ingredients. Be inspired by Spabettie and her Raspberry Jalapeno Chocolate recipes. The gooey centre is making me drool just looking at […]